Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Timing Chain Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of discussion on chains and timing chain dampeners. Equally, if not more, important will be the harmonic damper (Pulley). The LS motors have high RPM harmonics that will wreak havoc with the timing chain so the harmonic damper for this type of application is key. You should check some of the posts by Kurt Urban on this subject. I would go with an ATI and speak with them about the application as they can alter the damping material in the hub to fit your requirements. If not an ATI, use the stock GM harmonic damper.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Iwis Timing Chain

Hi Pat, I would go to the iWiS web site, there is much information to be learned.
So I ask to ALL : Measure your link thickness and report ?
I Agree, the better chains ARE "seamless" as is the one I sell.
Sure, BUY from Avon gear, they are a great company.

As for the tech from "vette" I completely agree. (I always fit ATI with KEYED position)
The use of a 24ex Crankshaft Decode Wheel AND the ability of High Lobe Lift camshafts is common with LS users. (crank/cam twist increased)
The 58x Crankshaft Decode Wheel is MUCH Smoother reducing crankshaft twist, 2006+ GM OEM.
Yes again, I agree that one reason GM CHANGED the FIRING ORDER for the LS engine was to reduce crankshaft FLEX/Twist.
Then the problem caused by common LS engine balance shops who balance at "0".
My typical balance is 1% to 2% OVER based on RPM Mode.

My Air Boat/Marine customers are the ones that put the MOST Stress on a Timing Set.

Lance
Old 03-15-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Lots of discussion on chains and timing chain dampeners. Equally, if not more, important will be the harmonic damper (Pulley). The LS motors have high RPM harmonics that will wreak havoc with the timing chain so the harmonic damper for this type of application is key. You should check some of the posts by Kurt Urban on this subject. I would go with an ATI and speak with them about the application as they can alter the damping material in the hub to fit your requirements. If not an ATI, use the stock GM harmonic damper.
Fully agree, seen several setups on multiple makes of engines get blown to **** due to the dampener. Most of them were from people using ultra light under drive pulleys. The dampener has to be heavy to do it's job.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Fully agree, seen several setups on multiple makes of engines get blown to **** due to the dampener. Most of them were from people using ultra light under drive pulleys. The dampener has to be heavy to do it's job.
100% agree. Although pricey, I run a 10% ATI for that very reason. Heard too many stories mainly of cars being road raced that snapped the chain due to a cheaper aftermarket 25% UD balancer. Not worth it. Good chain, a chain dampener and a high quality harmonic balancer (0% or 10% underdriven) for the win. IIRC, someone on here once spoke to an ATI rep who said a 25% UD balancer is not ideal for dampening the harmonics of an LS engine.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with everything above!

When I did mine, I went with a Cloyes race billet gears and true roller chain.

BTR chain dampner and a ATI stock sized balancer.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I once had one of those and did not end up using it. The provided chain looked feeble, was not any beefier than stock. It honestly felt shittier than the stock chain I took off. Many people run that kit but just my .02 on it.

Nothing, it’s just that the GM LS1/LS6 dampener has long been discontinued and if you can find one you’re looking at over $100. Easier, cleaner and cheaper to just use the direct fit RDE piece than it is for the alternative which is use the TFS conversion piece with an LS2 dampener.

Installed the RDE piece this past weekend. Piece is solid but had me worried on a couple things....

1. Installed it...bolted right up. Came with everything. But, is the chain suppose to rest on the right side of it? It's somewhat rests on the right side of the damper. Don't know if thats a normal thing or not but was worried if it would cause issues at high RPM's.....who knows, maybe I'm being paranoid.

2. Once installed and all that. I moved onto the oil pump. I picked up a Melling 10295 oil pump. I went to torque it down and the oil pump is resting on the right bolt of the damper... There is no gap or anything between the two. I went to pull the oil pump off just to verify that the damper was fully tight and I noticed on the pump it had a scratch engraved from the bolt on the damper. I don't care about the scratch obviously, but I'm worried if that is normal for it to be resting upon that somewhat....?

I installed RDE damper from what I saw on some google searches and around here on the forum. I put blue loctite on the two bolts for the damper and then torqued each to 18 ft/lbs.

I'm assuming this may be normal but it did have me skeptical. When I tighten the oil pump it seated totally fine against the block, but it definitely was being pushed against that bolt a little bit. Oil pump torqued down fine though and looks sealed though.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Wolf, thanks for the question.
I supply my timing chain with pin oiling holes for $58.00.
When this was designed I wanted to make a product, an improved product, better than the iWiS chain so I added stronger (thicker) links AND improved chain lubrication.

I often fit the L-92 Timing Chain Guide, a requirement for VVT cam alignment needed by the ECM for correct cam timing calibration.
THIS style of dampening STOPS chain "whip".
I ALWAYS modify the dampener for improved strength.

Lance
Lance , can you run your chain with stock sprockets . And how much are your sprockets ?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Looks to me like the stock damper is slightly asymmetrical, with the bolts shifted a bit toward the driver's side of the block, and the holes in the damper offset accordingly. The RDE piece however is symmetrical; it'll hold the damper slightly toward the DS as a result. Wouldn't be by much; about .050" (1.25mm).

See the drawing in this post. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...n-dampner.html Compare what the stock damper looks like, to the RDE. They're just not quite the same.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI

My Air Boat/Marine customers are the ones that put the MOST Stress on a Timing Set.

Lance
A marine engine will definitely stress out the parts. A car engine lives a pampered life compared to a marine setup.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Looks to me like the stock damper is slightly asymmetrical, with the bolts shifted a bit toward the driver's side of the block, and the holes in the damper offset accordingly. The RDE piece however is symmetrical; it'll hold the damper slightly toward the DS as a result. Wouldn't be by much; about .050" (1.25mm).

See the drawing in this post. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...n-dampner.html Compare what the stock damper looks like, to the RDE. They're just not quite the same.
Not sure the damper holes are skewed, rather the holes in the block are shifted a bit to the right in the template I posted in your reference thread. I do have photos of my GMPP timing chain dampener installation if that helps.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Default Avon Timing Set

Hi OMC, thanks for your interest.

The Timing Set cost is $158.00 with a chain only cost of $58.00. (OEM Sprockets = OK)

This is a special price for LS-1 Tech members.

Lance
Old 03-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a criteria for determining when a stock chain is "too stretched". Everyone seems to be hung up on replacing their chains with a better stronger one whether it is needed or not. When is loose too loose?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by slarsen47
Is there a criteria for determining when a stock chain is "too stretched". Everyone seems to be hung up on replacing their chains with a better stronger one whether it is needed or not. When is loose too loose?
Since a new chain is loose cold, BUT tightens when the engine is warmed up, if it's loose warmed up, THEN it might be too loose.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfgaang
Installed the RDE piece this past weekend. Piece is solid but had me worried on a couple things....

1. Installed it...bolted right up. Came with everything. But, is the chain suppose to rest on the right side of it? It's somewhat rests on the right side of the damper. Don't know if thats a normal thing or not but was worried if it would cause issues at high RPM's.....who knows, maybe I'm being paranoid.

2. Once installed and all that. I moved onto the oil pump. I picked up a Melling 10295 oil pump. I went to torque it down and the oil pump is resting on the right bolt of the damper... There is no gap or anything between the two. I went to pull the oil pump off just to verify that the damper was fully tight and I noticed on the pump it had a scratch engraved from the bolt on the damper. I don't care about the scratch obviously, but I'm worried if that is normal for it to be resting upon that somewhat....?

I installed RDE damper from what I saw on some google searches and around here on the forum. I put blue loctite on the two bolts for the damper and then torqued each to 18 ft/lbs.

I'm assuming this may be normal but it did have me skeptical. When I tighten the oil pump it seated totally fine against the block, but it definitely was being pushed against that bolt a little bit. Oil pump torqued down fine though and looks sealed though.
Basically the same deal with mine, it’s because the pre-drilled holes in the block are more off-set to the right. I think my chain when cold is just a hair away from touching the dampener on the right side. I wondered the same when I installed mine but noticed via google pics that it’s normal with that piece. Ive actually noticed the opposite with the discontinued LS6 dampeners, they seem to have the chain ride just about against them on the left side. I’ve been beating on the car with shifts just under 7000rpm without any issues. Will be hitting up the road courses here soon and I feel better that I now have a dampener in there.

My stock oil pump is damn close but does not touch like your aftermarket one does. If both pieces are fully torqued down and seated correctly (pump properly shimmed) I don’t see that being an issue personally. If it bothers you, could shave a tad of material off the pump or the bolt where they touch.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 03-21-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having the oil pump in a wedgie would definitely bother me... I'd be finding something to shave, for sure. Probably the pump body.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Since a new chain is loose cold, BUT tightens when the engine is warmed up, if it's loose warmed up, THEN it might be too loose.

Can anyone explain how a chain will tighten when warmed up?? This does not make sense to me.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

Default AL Crankcase/Steel Crankcase

Hi All, a good question by 47.

Example : a 12" Steel Rod AND a 12" Aluminum Rod.

Measure length at room temperature then record that value
Measure length at engine running temperature BY placing the above items in a pot of Boiling Water then record that value.

Take that value with a 2X increase to get the timing set length change in slack.

THUS the chain does NOT get shorter, the crankcase expands.

Lance
Old 03-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I understand thermal expansion properties of steel and aluminum but...........

I might believe a wee bit of change in an aluminum block, but I have a hard time to believe a cast iron block would change enough to even measure, never mind change the slack in a timing chain.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem with temperature change isn't "change" itself; it's that different materials change DIFFERENTLY.

Cast iron and steel change about the same (not exactly, but moderately close); aluminum on the other hand, changes quite a bit more. An aluminum block should expand around .007 - .008" more than a steel chain over a normal engine temp range.

Solid cam people know this from how to adjust valves: aluminum heads require very different cold vs hot settings than iron heads.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Default LSX Timing Set + Avon Gear

Hi 47, I agree with your statement "iron vs aluminum".

I have done a few LSX crankcase engine assemblies finding a more normal timing chain "slack" with my Avon Gear Timing Set.

I have done NO LS OEM Iron Block engine assemblies, is THIS (iron crankcase tech) your reference ?
The LS-1 IS an AL Crankcase

Lance