Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Timing Chain Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Timing Chain Options

So I've looked around and haven't really come up with a full decision upon a timing chain I want to add onto my new setup for some reassurance.

I have a 1998 LS1 out of a Camaro. My previous engine was a 2004 GTO LS1 with LS6 intake manifold, 241 heads, and the stock cam from that engine. Engine seized up.....went around searching for a new engine and stumbled upon a LS1 out of a 98 Camaro with 61k miles. Engines super clean and all that.

Engine that I just bought came with 806 heads and everything else. I planned on swapping my 241 heads over, LS6 intake manifold, cam (I know the difference is small), and other stuff from my GTO engine since I had those options and it would be the best bet since I already have my 241 heads at the machine shop and all that. The heads were milled very very very very little. I plan on moving those onto this LS1 I got.

Engine is going into a 240SX and will be used for drifting. It will see high RPM's, low RPM's, etc....I looked into the LS2 timing chain and have read people seeing slack and others saying that these chains were the best. I really just want to have the peace of mine upon this subject. Since I'm already swapping the heads and cams to my stock 2004 GTO ones, I might as well do the chain.

I looked into the C5R chain, dual roller setups, Cloyes, and much more. I really don't want to shed out a lot of money unless I have to. Will a LS2 chain be sufficient enough for what I will be using the engine for? I plan to add a dampener in there as well.

Quick summary....the engine previously in the car seized up. It was an 04' GTO engine. Picked up this 98' LS1 for a good deal w/ miles. Since heads were already getting machined, I thought that I might as well stick my stock 04' GTO cam in it and heads as well. Melling 10295 oil pump will also be installed. What timing chain would you recommend for my drift car? LS2 chain? Cloyes?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not even sure the LS2 chain is available as I believe GM parts just supercede and the latest chain is the one use in the C7. Careful of those selling IWIS (JWIS) chains as they make several different 3/8" pitch chains of differing quality. Can't go wrong with the chain directly from Katech which is a top quality JWIS chain. Best chain ever made was the IRL chain or "rain" chain. SDPC bought out the remaining inventory from Cloyes several years ago, not sure if they sold them all. These were hand assembled chains that were shot peened and hand assembled for the Indy Racing League. Cloyes had sets made for the LS1 but the cost was high and they didn't sell well so they stopped making them.

With a drift car turning high RPM, a timing chain damper is probably more important than the chain itself. Either drill the block and add a GMPP dampener (Katech had a few left) or use the Trick Flow version although there have been some recent issues with the Trick Flow dampener. There was a thread here on that within the last week or two.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Regardless of the LS2 chain being superseded, I was going to go through Texas Speed and get the chain for something like $45 or so if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing that the LS2 chain they have (superseded by the C7 one or not) will be fine for my car. Most important thing is really the dampener.

Yeah I did here that about IWIS though and I was skeptical. I looked into the C5R chain but its just sooooooo much. Further down the road when I do another cam/head setup and have the money is when I plan on balling out on a nice chain setup. For now I just want something that will show no issues with the drift car running an LS1 with milled 241 heads.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Avon Gear Timing Set

Hi Wolf, I supply the Avon Gear BILLET timing set with a Crankshaft Sprocket in 2* keway position choice.

The Timing Chain has pin oil holes.

Lance
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Timing Chain Options-dsc_0322.jpg   LS1 Timing Chain Options-dsc_0323.jpg   LS1 Timing Chain Options-dsc_0324.jpg  
Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, RDE fabrication has a nice dampener that bolts directly up to the LS1/LS6 motors assuming the block is already pre-drilled. I think it’s around $50 or so, have one on my car and like it. I bought a Cloyes hex-adjust timing set and ended up just using the chain with my stock gears. Looks visually the same as the LS2 chain (might even be the same) but I’ve got no more slack than stock, I think it’s a Renold chain but don’t recall 100%.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not always on board with Katech prices, but the C5-R Single chain is a fantastic piece. The Cloyes and Manley sets are a good choice as well.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Wolf, I supply the Avon Gear BILLET timing set with a Crankshaft Sprocket in 2* keway position choice.

Lance
Sorry man, I ended up going different routes. Wanted to really budget but get some good function out of this. Ended up going LS2 timing chain. In the future though when I go full on with cams and heads, I will consider that. Thanks!

What's the plus to pin oil holes?

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
FWIW, RDE fabrication has a nice dampener that bolts directly up to the LS1/LS6 motors assuming the block is already pre-drilled. I think it’s around $50 or so, have one on my car and like it. I bought a Cloyes hex-adjust timing set and ended up just using the chain with my stock gears. Looks visually the same as the LS2 chain (might even be the same) but I’ve got no more slack than stock, I think it’s a Renold chain but don’t recall 100%.
Non-Sponsor Soliciting Policy

You talking about this one? I'm so happy...can't even express it within this post. But over this weekend I opened up my engine, popped the front cover off, and found that I have the holes predrilled!!! Stoked!! Now I don't have to go drill and all that. However, Texas Speed sent me the wrong head bolts so I'll have to contact them tomorrow. But at least that gives me sometime to order a dampener. My biggest thing is being able to order it tomorrow (Monday) and get it by Thursday or Friday here in Virginia so I can really knock everything out on the engine this upcoming weekend.

I ended up going LS2 chain as well. Kept the same gears and all that. Looked fine, no crazy wear (from what I could tell at least), so I decided to run with everything that I had. My engine came with the stock LS1 chain, and I just installed the LS2 chain today. The difference is very noticeable just from looking at it. Soooooo much beefier and looks like it'll will handle a lot. Slack though is the same.

Anyways, thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. I will contact them tomorrow regarding shipping and go from there.

Originally Posted by black sky
I'm not always on board with Katech prices, but the C5-R Single chain is a fantastic piece. The Cloyes and Manley sets are a good choice as well.
I was on the fine line about going with one because I'm so nervous about something bad happening with the chain. Ended up going LS2 chain. Did a lot of searching and this should be fine. LS2 chain + a good dampener should be perfect. I'm not running any crazy power, mainly just a stock LS1 with a tune. Yes, it is being used in drifting and will see and sit at those higher RPM's, but I don't think it'll be any bit of an issue. C5-R chain looks pretty gnarly though, and I have yet to really see any negative comments about it.

Summary: All in all, I went with the LS2 chain. Looks good, still has the same slack as the LS1 chain that was on the engine. Definitely a lot beefier. Engine will be used for drifting and high RPM's, but it is stock, and I feel that with the LS2 chain and a good dampener there should be any problems **knocks on wood**.....but realistically I should be fine.

If you guys have any other recommendations regarding timing chain dampeners, please let me know! I plan on ordering one tomorrow. I'm back down at college now, but will be headed back up to work on the car later this week. So the big thing is to try and get one shipped to my doorstep Thursday or Friday.

Last edited by KCS; 03-13-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Non Sponsor Link Removed
Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

^^Yup, the RDE chain dampener you linked is the one. You don't have many options when it comes to dampeners but IMO that is definitely your best bet.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
^^Yup, the RDE chain dampener you linked is the one. You don't have many options when it comes to dampeners but IMO that is definitely your best bet.
Perfect. Just ordered one. So now my setup will consist of a LS2 timing chain, original gears, and the RDE timing chain dampener.

Yeah I saw like zero options when it came to LS1 setups unless you did that adapter bracket setup to run one. Considered the holes are drilled, this is the best bet. Plus, seems like a generic piece you know.

Anyways, thanks for all the help guys
Old 03-13-2018, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Timing Chain with Pin Oilers

Hi Wolf, thanks for the question.
I supply my timing chain with pin oiling holes for $58.00.
When this was designed I wanted to make a product, an improved product, better than the iWiS chain so I added stronger (thicker) links AND improved chain lubrication.

I often fit the L-92 Timing Chain Guide, a requirement for VVT cam alignment needed by the ECM for correct cam timing calibration.
THIS style of dampening STOPS chain "whip".
I ALWAYS modify the dampener for improved strength.

Lance
Old 03-13-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI

Lance
If I needed a chain I'd be all over this, if I had just ordered one I would be sending it back to get this.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I have been running a LS2 chain, stock gears, and LS6 damper for a few years now with no issues. You will be fine.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^ great combo there when the factory gears are low mileage or in terrific shape.
Else if no dampers holes are present and OP doesn’t wanna drill/tap then that Avon Pro Gear setup Lance sells is a really awesome piece. They’re made in Legrange Illinois and the gears see an awful lot of surface prep procedures
I run their budget cast gear set in my LS2. No damper
Room temp “slop” disappears when block expands at operational temperatures
Old 03-13-2018, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan to use the JP Performance 5618T single row chain setup for my LS1/6. Off Speed Inc. website. Also planning to use the TFS timing dampener

Last edited by KCS; 03-13-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Non Sponsor Pricing Removed
Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can’t go wrong with cloyes
Old 03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Launching!

I haven't used it yet, but I bought a Cloyes "LS2" chain. I am going to check my block for pre drilled holes so I can maybe add a dampener while i'm in there too.. what makes the RDE so special compared to an OEM?

Last edited by SteveWs6; 03-13-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSleeper1500
I plan to use the JP Performance 5618T single row chain setup for my LS1/6. Off Speed Inc. website. Also planning to use the TFS timing dampener
I once had one of those and did not end up using it. The provided chain looked feeble, was not any beefier than stock. It honestly felt shittier than the stock chain I took off. Many people run that kit but just my .02 on it.

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
I haven't used it yet, but I bought a Cloyes "LS2" chain. I am going to check my block for pre drilled holes so I can maybe add a dampener while i'm in there too.. what makes the RDE so special compared to an OEM?
Nothing, it’s just that the GM LS1/LS6 dampener has long been discontinued and if you can find one you’re looking at over $100. Easier, cleaner and cheaper to just use the direct fit RDE piece than it is for the alternative which is use the TFS conversion piece with an LS2 dampener.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 03-14-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Launching!

That makes perfect sense! Thank you
Old 03-14-2018, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
^^^^^^^^^^ great combo there when the factory gears are low mileage or in terrific shape.
Else if no dampers holes are present and OP doesn’t wanna drill/tap then that Avon Pro Gear setup Lance sells is a really awesome piece. They’re made in Legrange Illinois and the gears see an awful lot of surface prep procedures
I run their budget cast gear set in my LS2. No damper
Room temp “slop” disappears when block expands at operational temperatures
Good point...I should of mentioned my stuff only had 17k miles.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The jwis chain I got had thicker side pieces than the stock one. Also the rollers were seamless (as far as I could tell), while the stock rollers had a seam. Cost around $60.