Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

799 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 799 Heads

Good morning. Finally getting around to finishing my parts list/install (can't get headers to slip in worth s*** lol) but its coming along well. I took a set of 799 heads I purchased off of here up to TEA (in tallmadge, OH. local...) to be resurfaced, no porting, and check the valve seals. Wanted them stock but cleaned. Long story short... after about 1.5 weeks, I get a call stating that I need to buy another set... They said that they are corroded beyond their repair and appear as if they have soaked in water for weeks. Stated I should either find another set or figure out what I want regarding the head swap...

When I received the heads, I cleaned them with simple green and dish soap with a bottle brush to clean the ports as best as I could, there was oil residue in there. Is TEA giving me a fresh line of B.S. or am I holding onto $400 worth of scrap metal?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough to tell from your pictures, but if there is too much pitting on the sealing surfaces then that might be why they are no good. TEA is well respected on here, I'd talk to them and get more details.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Launching!

I've heard nothing but great things about TEA but I'm just lost on where to go. I'd return the heads and just pay the outright for the heads that the sponsors offer un-ported but it's hard to return something you gifted the money for to avoid paying more to the seller cause of fees. TEA said they'll look into another set for me, see if they have any 799/243 castings I can purchase that's unported so I'm not paying more, I'll find out tomorrow.

Aside from a performance standpoibt but more for replacing stock heads on applicable vehicle... Can't cylinder heads be repaired with epoxy and still be used under stock conditions? I've read somewhere JB weld has worked
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Yeah $400 on heads that are no good I'd be a little hot. Contact the person that sold them to you maybe they'll work with you. You can get a set off those heads rebuilt with all new valves for around $600 on eBay. I have set I was selling for $350 but they needs new valves and probably seats too.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Launching!

The seller was really cool to work with, he admitted there was some corrosion around the ports afterwards, but stated they came off a vehicle that was running perfectly fine. But, ya never know. Im not here to bash anyone, it's my own fault for not securing both ends of the deal properly.

Them heads you got, I got valve springs already and gonna see if I can use the valves on the 799s . How they look?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Teching In

you'd probably be better off finding some remans than buying ones hoping they're good enough to salvage. Like I said I know the valves are bad,not sure about seat condition either
Old 03-18-2018, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 413 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1fan92
They said that they are corroded beyond their repair and appear as if they have soaked in water for weeks.
What specifically is corroded beyond repair???

If it's the valve surface sealing area, They would have to replace all the seat's. That's not cost effective Vs. another good set.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 PM
Launching!

I'm going to find out tomorrow from them supposedly further details. I'm considering just getting my stock 853 heads ported, not sure how they match up to the 799s unported...
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to find out tomorrow from them supposedly further details. I'm considering just getting my stock 853 heads ported, not sure how they match up to the 799s unported...
Ported 853s even with stock valves should be superior to a set of stock 243/799 heads.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Spoke with TEA, basically it's 900 for a set of 799/243 castings, just cleaned, milled, assembled, not including if valve guides need replaced. Stated for the price they would cost, I'd be better off getting mine ported, no core exchanges since mine are 853.
But, I'm already out of my budget since I'm -400.00... I'll probably get the heads I have milled, maybe next year I'll get the 243heads
Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Talk to Texas Speed, those don't look too bad to me...
Old 03-19-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Did you talk with Gregg at TEA ? Maybe he would agree to do the work you want on the heads if you tell him not to mill the TEA logo and you would not expect a warranty.?
Total Engine Airflow did my 243 castings and the work quality is top notch. They had to replace 9 guides for an additional 140 bucks. I wouldn't be afraid of a no warranty deal if he agreed to it.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jetech
Did you talk with Gregg at TEA ? Maybe he would agree to do the work you want on the heads if you tell him not to mill the TEA logo and you would not expect a warranty.?
Total Engine Airflow did my 243 castings and the work quality is top notch. They had to replace 9 guides for an additional 140 bucks. I wouldn't be afraid of a no warranty deal if he agreed to it.
Hmm... Well idk, he said that I'd have sealing issues with the valve seals. Greg was really cool so I'm not on here to bash them or anything... Originally just to mill them a bit and clean he said around 3-500, depending if the guides needed replaced... So I went from having a ls6 setup minus the cam to just an intake with headers... No ls7 lifters, no ls6 springs... Knowing the 853 are less desirable makes me not want to Port them... Putting money into something that won't gurantee it's worth the money back when I go to sell the.

Good news is the seller is actually a decent human being, he's willing to try and work something out for it, if nothing else I'll have Texas speed check them
Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm... Well idk, he said that I'd have sealing issues with the valve seals. Greg was really cool so I'm not on here to bash them or anything... Originally just to mill them a bit and clean he said around 3-500, depending if the guides needed replaced... So I went from having a ls6 setup minus the cam to just an intake with headers... No ls7 lifters, no ls6 springs... Knowing the 853 are less desirable makes me not want to Port them... Putting money into something that won't gurantee it's worth the money back when I go to sell the.

Good news is the seller is actually a decent human being, he's willing to try and work something out for it, if nothing else I'll have Texas speed check them
Are you sure he said seals ........ and not seats ? Your going to replace the seals anyway . Now I can understand all the seats be corroded to point they can not be regrind .
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Ahh... Yeah that sounds about right...so if the seats are bad, there's basically not much that can be done then?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I doubt he said the seats were corroded. All of the aluminum would be gone before the seats would begin to corrode, especially to a unusable condition. The valve stem seal area is most likely pitted badly where the I.D. of the valve seal contacts the head.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,395 Likes on 2,098 Posts

Ahh... Yeah that sounds about right...so if the seats are bad, there's basically not much that can be done then?
The seats are replaceable, but you’d be in those heads pretty deep money wise.