Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrolock damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,108 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Here's hoping you find WAY less damage than thought! (Hey it IS optimistic! lol)
Old 05-19-2018, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Water out of the throttle body?
No way would a leaky runner gasket raise the level that high, w/out being forced in, under psi....
Furthermore, there is more than 1 valve open, at anytime in the cycle, so more than 1 cyl had to have water in it, IF the intake full scenario is accurate.
Sumting wong w/ this story.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Most likely the windshield cowling let water laying on the intake-head area and it seeped past the seals into the intake. I've had a few experiences with it myself and others cars. Luckily I got away with it and once I realized the cowling was letting water lay all over the engine in the rain I sealed it. I also carefully went over the intake bolts by 1st removing the intake, cleaning the threads in the heads then reinstalling everything. Also torqued the intake bolts every couple 100 miles until they stayed tight. I haven't had a nasty start since, 1st time it started funny after a overnight rain I was like WTH just happened?????

On the v6 cars the cowling ruins the coils(water shorts the ignition in the rain) and of course can get into the engine just like the v8 cars. I know of one car v6 the engine failed because of water in the oil, they replaced the engine and THE NEW ENGINE FAILED same way. They finally figured out the windshield cowling was letting water sit on the top of the engine and it was getting into the PCV opening in the top of the intake. If can find the video I'll post a link, been a while since I came across the posting.
check that out

Open your hood in the rain and look at the water dripping down all over the engine. The newer cars have covers over the top of the engines to prevent this and cut down on noise complaints.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I hydrolocked my 5.3 with fuel from a leaking injector. Stopped motor with a bang but i got lucky. Happened a year ago been driving ever since with no problems. I thought for sure i was done. Good luck.
bent a rod on my 5.7 the same way.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

I had issues with water dripping onto a coil pack and then the intake. Luckily never had the engine ingest any water.