Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help ??? Bad lifter ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help ??? Bad lifter ??

Hoping its a bad lifter. it sound like most the video I could fine of bad lifters. Doesn't seem to be noisy enough for a bearing and it holds full oil pressure
Old 05-15-2018, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Tough from here to say, I do hear some piston noise mixed in. Do a video with the engine hot, that should take the piston noise out of the mix.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Knocking noise right after transmission work, I'd be checking the torque converter bolts.

If you shoot another video, back it out of the garage. The background noise is way too loud.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Take the 15 min and pull the valve covers and see if anything looks odd or is loose. Can also tell if a lifter collapsed by turning the motor over by hand or bumping it.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Ill do some more videos this weekend. I have to put the lid and filter back on and hook it up. I was just starting a tear down ,when I released it could be something I can fix with a engine flush and oil change .

in the mean time here is 1 from under the car

Last edited by fastfbody; 05-15-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Sometimes the flex plate will crack from abuse, would be a good place to start to be sure BUT I hear more sinister noises. Good Luck
Old 05-15-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Not necessarily a spun bearing but a pounded out bearing. Believe it or not that's a very easy fix if you get in there before it spins.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Not necessarily a spun bearing but a pounded out bearing. Believe it or not that's a very easy fix if you get in there before it spins.
The only the thing that makes me think it might be the converter bolts or something. Is the sound showed up 1 week after having the trans built . DO you just tap the bearing back in with a rubber mallet ?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Well if that noise showed up after the trans build the 1st thing I'd be checking is the trans. Get under there and pull the convertor bolts out then start the engine. Without the t convertor connected if noise goes away it is time check the flex plate etc.

As far as if it has a worn pounded out bearing the bearing needs to be replaced. Not hard to do but you will need some guidance for sure. The stock bearings are very tough and will take a hell of a beating BUT what can happen from abuse is the bearing gets pounded out thin and of course it starts to knock and will spin eventually. Also when a rod bearing gets pounded thin the piston can hit the cylinder head and that's the light tapping you maybe hearing. Of course before just tearing into this you have to do some diagnoses, maybe buy a stethoscope and unload the cylinders one at a time till you find the noisy cylinder.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Well if that noise showed up after the trans build the 1st thing I'd be checking is the trans. Get under there and pull the convertor bolts out then start the engine. Without the t convertor connected if noise goes away it is time check the flex plate etc.

As far as if it has a worn pounded out bearing the bearing needs to be replaced. Not hard to do but you will need some guidance for sure. The stock bearings are very tough and will take a hell of a beating BUT what can happen from abuse is the bearing gets pounded out thin and of course it starts to knock and will spin eventually. Also when a rod bearing gets pounded thin the piston can hit the cylinder head and that's the light tapping you maybe hearing. Of course before just tearing into this you have to do some diagnoses, maybe buy a stethoscope and unload the cylinders one at a time till you find the noisy cylinder.
I have a auto stethoscope so ill check it with that it sounded ,the same top and bottom of the engine last I checked . Ill see if it was trans noise coming threw. I was going to engine flush and oil change . would using a magnet on the old oil be a good way to check for bearing damage .,by looking for metal shavings . I have built old small blocks . So I know how to change bearings ,just looks like a total pain getting this thing out of the car if I have to .
Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Bearing is not magnetic, unload the cylinders one at a time till you find the noisy one. Just unplug each injector one at a time and listen to the engine. If the noise is rod-piston related it will go quiet when there is no load on that cylinder. I would pull the oil filter carefully cut it open then inspect the filter media for signs of a bearing problem but if its just pounded thin there may be none.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I would definitely check for cracks in your flex plate or loose converter bolts........but I'm sure someone already mentioned that......I had a old Buick 350......same problem.....didn't know till after I i swapped in a chevy, that's when I noticed 2 cracks in The flex plate....after the motor was out and the new one was in......that was also 20yrs ago, a little smarter now....I think
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dawgs74
I would definitely check for cracks in your flex plate or loose converter bolts........but I'm sure someone already mentioned that......I had a old Buick 350......same problem.....didn't know till after I i swapped in a chevy, that's when I noticed 2 cracks in The flex plate....after the motor was out and the new one was in......that was also 20yrs ago, a little smarter now....I think
as much as I'm worried about it being the engine. I strongly think its the trans seeing how it just got put in before the noise .
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I suggest you check them converter bolts and flex plate. .......but Yea I wanna agree with you and say it's not engine related. ....hopefully ! Could also be your pump on the trans, knocked outta place during install? is the tranny leaking?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dawgs74
I suggest you check them converter bolts and flex plate. .......but Yea I wanna agree with you and say it's not engine related. ....hopefully ! Could also be your pump on the trans, knocked outta place during install? is the tranny leaking?
it been in my shop for months after this. was preparing to rebuild engine. no leak at all.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm at a loss......happy hunting,hopefully it's something minor/stupid. ..
Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hairline crack in the flex plate will do it .....I'm hoping for your sake that's all it is...let's us know whattcha find.....
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by fastfbody
it been in my shop for months after this. was preparing to rebuild engine. no leak at all.
It's not the transmission pump. The pump can not be knocked out of place. You can crack the pump/ rotor from a botched converter install but if you have driven it even 1 mile your pump is not cracked and it would not make noise.

It is all but impossible to judge things by cell phone videos but if it were me I would start by pulling the valve covers and check for a loose rocker/ collapsed lifter. Then I would pull the starter and check for a loose converter bolt.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
It's not the transmission pump. The pump can not be knocked out of place. You can crack the pump/ rotor from a botched converter install but if you have driven it even 1 mile your pump is not cracked and it would not make noise.

It is all but impossible to judge things by cell phone videos but if it were me I would start by pulling the valve covers and check for a loose rocker/ collapsed lifter. Then I would pull the starter and check for a loose converter bolt.
I have a auto stethoscope. I'm just going to put it on jack stands . start it and put that bad by on the front of the trans bell housing. If its loose bolts I should be able to tell from that.