Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter stuff........

Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Default Lifter stuff........

So I have a 2000 trans am. 4.10 gears, 1 7/8th headers, 100 shot, slp lid and egr delete.
The car is going to get an MS3 cam. The car ONLY has 50k miles. 48K miles 100% stock.
The cam will be here tomorrow and it is being installed on sunday. So I need to figure out if I need to do a new chain and gear and if I need to do different lifters.
Couple questions:
First do you guys strongly think I need to do a new timing chain and/or cam gear?
Second can I leave the stock lifters? I am considering doing heads in the near future after an intake.

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlkOps View Post
So I have a 2000 trans am. 4.10 gears, 1 7/8th headers, 100 shot, slp lid and egr delete.
The car is going to get an MS3 cam. The car ONLY has 50k miles. 48K miles 100% stock.
The cam will be here tomorrow and it is being installed on sunday. So I need to figure out if I need to do a new chain and gear and if I need to do different lifters.
Couple questions:
First do you guys strongly think I need to do a new timing chain and/or cam gear?
Second can I leave the stock lifters? I am considering doing heads in the near future after an intake.

Thanks in advance,
You will need different springs to handle the added lift. All else can stay.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
You will need different springs to handle the added lift. All else can stay.
I will be doing .660 dual springs when I install the cam along with harden pushrods.

Thank you for the quick response!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If you are doing the heads put some lifters in it. If not let it ride until the heads come off. The stock ones chatter with a stock cam and will likely make a little more noise with the new one but generally will not come apart too quickly. Oil pressure seems to help with the noise, It is never a bad idea to throw a good pump on the car while in there. Something like a melling 10295 is cheap insurance, they run $119.99 and will stay with the car and motor as you continue to upgrade everything around it. Let me know if you need any help sourcing any of the parts, I keep them in stock and can have them out usually same day or next day.
Thank you,
Kyle
Thompson Motorsports
[email protected]
972-853-2450
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Split Overlap Cam Timing

Hi BlkOps, the chosen camshaft should be installed at Split Overlap.
This will require a timing set with index positions on the crank sprocket.
I sell the Avon Gear billet timing set, the strongest of all sets.

I too would replace the Oil Pump, I fit the OEM 2010 Camaro pump for a $90.00 dollar dealer cost.
I sell the Billet TS for $158.00 + $10.00 for USPS.

I can ship today USPS, you will have the item Saturday.

Lifters need to be tested by "rolling" the bearing with your fingers feeling for a rough "roll" would be a reason NOT to use that set.
I would replace the plastic trays as the cost is LOW.

Lance, BTW this IS the strongest chain, the ONLY one with Oil Lubrication holes !

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: