Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter stuff........

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter stuff........

So I have a 2000 trans am. 4.10 gears, 1 7/8th headers, 100 shot, slp lid and egr delete.
The car is going to get an MS3 cam. The car ONLY has 50k miles. 48K miles 100% stock.
The cam will be here tomorrow and it is being installed on sunday. So I need to figure out if I need to do a new chain and gear and if I need to do different lifters.
Couple questions:
First do you guys strongly think I need to do a new timing chain and/or cam gear?
Second can I leave the stock lifters? I am considering doing heads in the near future after an intake.

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkOps
So I have a 2000 trans am. 4.10 gears, 1 7/8th headers, 100 shot, slp lid and egr delete.
The car is going to get an MS3 cam. The car ONLY has 50k miles. 48K miles 100% stock.
The cam will be here tomorrow and it is being installed on sunday. So I need to figure out if I need to do a new chain and gear and if I need to do different lifters.
Couple questions:
First do you guys strongly think I need to do a new timing chain and/or cam gear?
Second can I leave the stock lifters? I am considering doing heads in the near future after an intake.

Thanks in advance,
You will need different springs to handle the added lift. All else can stay.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You will need different springs to handle the added lift. All else can stay.
I will be doing .660 dual springs when I install the cam along with harden pushrods.

Thank you for the quick response!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are doing the heads put some lifters in it. If not let it ride until the heads come off. The stock ones chatter with a stock cam and will likely make a little more noise with the new one but generally will not come apart too quickly. Oil pressure seems to help with the noise, It is never a bad idea to throw a good pump on the car while in there. Something like a melling 10295 is cheap insurance, they run $119.99 and will stay with the car and motor as you continue to upgrade everything around it. Let me know if you need any help sourcing any of the parts, I keep them in stock and can have them out usually same day or next day.
Thank you,
Kyle
Thompson Motorsports
Kyle@thompsonmotorsports.net
972-853-2450
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Split Overlap Cam Timing

Hi BlkOps, the chosen camshaft should be installed at Split Overlap.
This will require a timing set with index positions on the crank sprocket.
I sell the Avon Gear billet timing set, the strongest of all sets.

I too would replace the Oil Pump, I fit the OEM 2010 Camaro pump for a $90.00 dollar dealer cost.
I sell the Billet TS for $158.00 + $10.00 for USPS.

I can ship today USPS, you will have the item Saturday.

Lifters need to be tested by "rolling" the bearing with your fingers feeling for a rough "roll" would be a reason NOT to use that set.
I would replace the plastic trays as the cost is LOW.

Lance, BTW this IS the strongest chain, the ONLY one with Oil Lubrication holes !