Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrod Length - PRC 225 Head

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrod Length - PRC 225 Head

Measuring my pushrod length. Just trying to make sure these numbers I'm coming up with seem reasonable.

Currently set up with:
LS1
PRC 225 as cast heads-62cc combustion chambers
Cometic .40 Head Gasket
Morel 5315 lifters
Torquer V2 cam
Stock Rockers + Straub Bushings

Tried this on the #1 cylinder intake and exhaust valves with identical results.

With the comp checker threaded out 12.25 turns, and rocker snugged down....I still have play at the rocker tip. Threading the checker out an additional 1/4 turn (12.5 total) all play goes away. This would be zero lash correct? Or is more accuracy than .25 of turn required (such as 1/8 turn)? Probably a stupid question, just trying to get it right.

With that....I get the following length before accounting for preload:
(12.5)(.050)+6.8=7.425

I see a wide range of preloads being shouted for these lifters, but .045-.050 appears to be acceptable with an aluminum block/head.

That gives me 7.475" with .05" of preload.

Am I on the right track? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BattleBird
Measuring my pushrod length. Just trying to make sure these numbers I'm coming up with seem reasonable.

Currently set up with:
LS1
PRC 225 as cast heads-62cc combustion chambers
Cometic .40 Head Gasket
Morel 5315 lifters
Torquer V2 cam
Stock Rockers + Straub Bushings

Tried this on the #1 cylinder intake and exhaust valves with identical results.

With the comp checker threaded out 12.25 turns, and rocker snugged down....I still have play at the rocker tip. Threading the checker out an additional 1/4 turn (12.5 total) all play goes away. This would be zero lash correct? Or is more accuracy than .25 of turn required (such as 1/8 turn)? Probably a stupid question, just trying to get it right.

With that....I get the following length before accounting for preload:
(12.5)(.050)+6.8=7.425

I see a wide range of preloads being shouted for these lifters, but .045-.050 appears to be acceptable with an aluminum block/head.

That gives me 7.475" with .05" of preload.

Am I on the right track? Thanks.
Make sure you torque the rockers each time to adjust the pushrod length tool. Get an 8" caliper, there cheap at harbor freight. Call morel for the suggested preload, I would not trust internet hype for preload suggestions.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishmasterdan
I would not trust internet hype for preload suggestions.
It's not even so much about internet BS or hype(synonymous), it's more about getting info from the source. Lifter info?? Go to the lifter company. etc, etc .....
Old 05-18-2018, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I think your correct on the preload. What I'd do is install the rocker with no pushrod in the hole and start the bolt. As soon as it starts to thread mark a dot at the 12:00 position and then turn the bolt while counting how many turns it takes to seat the rocker arm on the pedestal by tightening the rocker arm hand tight. Lets say you did this and got 13 turns to seat the rocker arm on the pedestal. Now with the lifter on the base circle of the cam install your pushrod checker tool with what you think is the right length for zero lash and then install your rocker arm. Start your bolt again and the dot should be at the 12:00 position. Now tighten the bolt and count the turns. If you get to thirteen and there is still play then the pushrod is too short. If you do not get to thirteen turns then the pushrod is too long. If you get to thirteen and all the play is out of the rocker arm you have the correct length at zero lash. Measure this then add the desired preload and order your pushrods. I like to measure with a dial cailper and measure for overall length.