Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default High mileage rebuild

Has anyone had success rebuilding high mileage LS1's? Engine runs great. No smoke, some leaks but not bad for 222,000 miles. Still has great power. I tried to do a compression test last night but my tester is not working correctly. All spark plugs look beautiful.
Here is my dilemma. I have been slowly collecting parts and saving money to rebuild a 5.3 I have sitting. Already bored 0.020 over. I did not realize at the time I could have bored it to LS1 specs (should have researched a little more). All I need to do this is a set of rods and pistons at almost a $1,000 and leave it 0.020 or rebore to LS1 specs. Or since I have everything just buy some new rings and install everything into the LS.
This is not a max effort build. Just a toy. I have a Fast 92, Nick Williams 92, TSP torqueV2, and getting some 241's cnc'ed just because. What would you do?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Why would rods and pistons cost you $1000 for a 5.3L

Especially if it's not a max effort build?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:14 PM
Teching In

That is all I can find. Any tips on where to look? I was looking to upgrade in case I want to spray (100-150shot)later down the road. I would rather finish the 5.3 that way the car is still driveable while I finish building it.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Why not use a Factory Floating pin rod and some regular hypereutectic pistons and just gaps the rings for some Juice?

I would use some 4.8 pistons to bump the compression up too.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:46 AM
Teching In

I did a little more looking last night since I had today off and could stay up late. I found some a little cheaper to make it worth continuing the 5.3 build and leaving the 5.7 in the car until it's done. I have heard that about the 4.8 pistons. I will have to look research what I can use and what I can't. I believe the pistons I'm looking at are available in different dome sizes. Currently sitting at a 3.80 bore but gonna bump it to the 3.903
Old 04-27-2018, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocks00Z28
I did a little more looking last night since I had today off and could stay up late. I found some a little cheaper to make it worth continuing the 5.3 build and leaving the 5.7 in the car until it's done. I have heard that about the 4.8 pistons. I will have to look research what I can use and what I can't. I believe the pistons I'm looking at are available in different dome sizes. Currently sitting at a 3.80 bore but gonna bump it to the 3.903
Good plan to take it and bore it to LS1 bore, then use some standard $300 pistons and stock rods and have an iron LS1.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Teching In

That is what I am thinking. This motor is eventually going into a truck. Since I do not have a truck yet I figured finish the build, throw it in the Camaro while I rebuild that one to go back into the Camaro. I have been searching for a while now and kind of been waiting on some rods and pistons to come up for sale here. I will give it a little more time before I order new.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

That is what I am thinking. This motor is eventually going into a truck. Since I do not have a truck yet I figured finish the build, throw it in the Camaro while I rebuild that one to go back into the Camaro. I have been searching for a while now and kind of been waiting on some rods and pistons to come up for sale here. I will give it a little more time before I order new.
Good deal.

Do you not already have the crank and rods from the 5.3? If so reuse them.

As for rebuilding the LS1, should just be a straight rebuild. However if the engine has been taken care of oil change wise and hasn't been overheated.. and also has no issues like you said. I would leave it alone. I've ALWAYS had better luck with used OEM motors than rebuilds. I've been a tech near 20 years and I've seen people try everything. HIGH end 6k rebuilds and OEM engines are the best. I would use a used high mile engine (that's been maintained) over a lower cost rebuild ANY DAY.

I just did head gaskets yesterday on a 2007 suburban that had 250k on it. All the hatch marks were still in the cylinders, it didn't smoke, and it idled smooth as a brand new truck. No way in hell i'd tear into that motor and rebuild it...

Most people are scared of high mileage motors because in theory, it sounds bad, but I've beat the living dog **** out of high mileage motors, made them into high rpm all motor motors, boosted them, nitrous etc. It has never bitten me in the ***. As long as the maintenance has been kept up with and they don't get over heated they don't really see as much wear as you would think and the internal components don't weaken, so what's the point of rebuilding if there isn't anything wrong? If i were you i'd just run the **** out of that 220k motor.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I gave the pistons away because it had to be bored. I am also a mechanic with 20 plus years. The car has been well maintained by me. Never overheated or anything. I have been wanting to put a cam in it but am afraid I will see the bearings worn. But who knows. I have dragged raced, road course and autox this car with the same engine and no issues. Granted it was never every weekend but when she was younger I didn't think twice about it. I have Express van at work that we maintain and repair that have engine issues between the 250,000 and 450,000mile mark. All usually different reasons for replacement. Oh and I'm not scared to run her I'm just wondering how much longer before she pops something. It runs just as good as the day I got it. Still amazing has mileage and all.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

I gave the pistons away because it had to be bored. I am also a mechanic with 20 plus years. The car has been well maintained by me. Never overheated or anything. I have been wanting to put a cam in it but am afraid I will see the bearings worn. But who knows. I have dragged raced, road course and autox this car with the same engine and no issues. Granted it was never every weekend but when she was younger I didn't think twice about it. I have Express van at work that we maintain and repair that have engine issues between the 250,000 and 450,000mile mark. All usually different reasons for replacement. Oh and I'm not scared to run her I'm just wondering how much longer before she pops something. It runs just as good as the day I got it. Still amazing has mileage and all.
Well then you know as well as anyone else nobody can tell you when it's gonna pop something. These motors are like all others they aren't likely to pop anything if taken care of. They just go and go and go.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Well then you know as well as anyone else nobody can tell you when it's gonna pop something. These motors are like all others they aren't likely to pop anything if taken care of. They just go and go and go.
This is true. I may get a wild hair and pull the cam to see what the bearings look like. That's the only way I will know about it. The 5.3 build is taking me longer than I planned. Don't they all tend to do that
Old 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

If you are considering boring the block for 5.7 pistons I would for sure have the block sonic checked and make sure the cylinder walls are thick enough. Not all 5.3 blocks are 5.7 suitable.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kossuth
If you are considering boring the block for 5.7 pistons I would for sure have the block sonic checked and make sure the cylinder walls are thick enough. Not all 5.3 blocks are 5.7 suitable.
I have read a lot about that lately too. It would be nice to know for sure without spending that money. The more I read and look around about all this the more I am thinking just pull the LS1 and freshen it up with everything I have for the 5.3. Sell the 5.3 and if I need one or feel the need for one I will find one running. Anyone want a 5.3 already bored to 3.80"? lol
Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Has anyone had success rebuilding high mileage LS1's? Engine runs great. No smoke, some leaks but not bad for 222,000 miles. Still has great power. I tried to do a compression test last night but my tester is not working correctly. All spark plugs look beautiful.
Here is my dilemma. I have been slowly collecting parts and saving money to rebuild a 5.3 I have sitting. Already bored 0.020 over. I did not realize at the time I could have bored it to LS1 specs (should have researched a little more). All I need to do this is a set of rods and pistons at almost a $1,000 and leave it 0.020 or rebore to LS1 specs. Or since I have everything just buy some new rings and install everything into the LS.
This is not a max effort build. Just a toy. I have a Fast 92, Nick Williams 92, TSP torqueV2, and getting some 241's cnc'ed just because. What would you do?
I would rebuild the LS1. It’s ligter and has more displacement. Plus it might not be worth as much with a 5.3L if you ever decide to sell it.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I sold it once during hard times and was lucky enough to get her back. I will never do that again. I bought the car with 54,000 miles on it back in 2004 and I have put on almost all the miles myself. I sold it to a friend that sold it back to me. I don’t think he hardly drove it at all. I am going to rebuild it and sell the 5.3 block now. Thank you all for your input