Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal shavings & particals in a fresh lsx build🤔

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm gonna further qualify with a list of why I said take it back and get your money back. If they would leave material like that in the motor it shows an absolute lack of attention to detail and there are parts in these motors that details do matter like
1. Valve guides: Too loose and it burns oil like crazy. Too tight, it hangs a valve and kablooey.
2. Valve springs: Was the seat pressure and install height checked? Lets bind valve springs shall we? Better yet! Lets install them too tall so a valve hangs open or bounces into a piston at 6k rpms. Sounds like fun right?
3. Piston rings: The end gap on the rings are pretty critical particularly if you're looking at spraying or boosting a motor. If they are too tight even on a NA motor, bad things happen. Broken ring lands anyone? Too loose and you'll look like the PA-7002 rolling down the tracks.
4. Piston to bore clearance: Too tight? The piston will grow faster than the bore and you'll lock her up tight. Then you window a block when the rod rips the pin out of the piston and says "**** it! I'm sawing this bitch in half" Too loose? You always wanted a fbody that sounded like a diesel? Oh you didn't. My bad.
5. Bearing clearances: These are the foundation of the motor. Too tight you lock her up. Too loose and you can't build oil pressure and you lock her up. Just for reference the crankshaft has to be pretty exact out of round wise or bad things happen. No way can you inspect these yourself. You don't have the tools or the experience to properly use the tools to check this.
6. Connecting rod journal and main bore journal roundness: You have a very very small window of what is and isn't acceptable here as far as out of round measurements go. No way can you inspect these yourself. You don't have the tools or the experience to properly use the tools to check this.

Here is a link to the majority (this isn't everything though) of all the clearances and tolerances for these motors. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...learances.html If a shop that does the assembly can't be bothered to do a simple thing like CLEAN the motor before assembly, how in the world can you think they were diligent enough to even machine it properly? If you are gonna just live with this motor and "FIX" it, you should have every piece and part checked by a different machine shop because the consequences if something is wrong could be very expensive. Just how expensive could it be? Well..... If the failure were to involve a piston or a connecting rod there is a better than 50/50 chance that you could JUNK everything from the valvecovers down if it fails in a sudden glorious fashion.

Last edited by kossuth; 06-16-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand why some here would have you walk away from that shop. However, I am reminded of an award winning resto shop, nearby to me, that was reassembling a V12 30’s something 150k automobile. They started the freshly rebuilt engine, only to hear some intense rattling in the cylinders. An employee didn’t notice that some bolts had been left in the cylinders before reinstalling the heads. When the owner found out, he read the employees “the riot act”. I was there to witness this. So, my point is, speak to the owner first. Show him the photos and get an assurance that things will be corrected (all of it!) or you’ll take the evidence to the DMV/BBB/etc. Best of luck.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gMAG
I understand why some here would have you walk away from that shop. However, I am reminded of an award winning resto shop, nearby to me, that was reassembling a V12 30’s something 150k automobile. They started the freshly rebuilt engine, only to hear some intense rattling in the cylinders. An employee didn’t notice that some bolts had been left in the cylinders before reinstalling the heads. When the owner found out, he read the employees “the riot act”. I was there to witness this. So, my point is, speak to the owner first. Show him the photos and get an assurance that things will be corrected (all of it!) or you’ll take the evidence to the DMV/BBB/etc. Best of luck.
I agree with this. Give the guy a shot if he asses up get all over every site like this, faceChatGoogleSnap and preach on it.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kossuth
So I'm gonna further qualify with a list of why I said take it back and get your money back. If they would leave material like that in the motor it shows an absolute lack of attention to detail and there are parts in these motors that details do matter like
1. Valve guides: Too loose and it burns oil like crazy. Too tight, it hangs a valve and kablooey.
2. Valve springs: Was the seat pressure and install height checked? Lets bind valve springs shall we? Better yet! Lets install them too tall so a valve hangs open or bounces into a piston at 6k rpms. Sounds like fun right?
3. Piston rings: The end gap on the rings are pretty critical particularly if you're looking at spraying or boosting a motor. If they are too tight even on a NA motor, bad things happen. Broken ring lands anyone? Too loose and you'll look like the PA-7002 rolling down the tracks.
4. Piston to bore clearance: Too tight? The piston will grow faster than the bore and you'll lock her up tight. Then you window a block when the rod rips the pin out of the piston and says "**** it! I'm sawing this bitch in half" Too loose? You always wanted a fbody that sounded like a diesel? Oh you didn't. My bad.
5. Bearing clearances: These are the foundation of the motor. Too tight you lock her up. Too loose and you can't build oil pressure and you lock her up. Just for reference the crankshaft has to be pretty exact out of round wise or bad things happen. No way can you inspect these yourself. You don't have the tools or the experience to properly use the tools to check this.
6. Connecting rod journal and main bore journal roundness: You have a very very small window of what is and isn't acceptable here as far as out of round measurements go. No way can you inspect these yourself. You don't have the tools or the experience to properly use the tools to check this.

Here is a link to the majority (this isn't everything though) of all the clearances and tolerances for these motors. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...learances.html If a shop that does the assembly can't be bothered to do a simple thing like CLEAN the motor before assembly, how in the world can you think they were diligent enough to even machine it properly? If you are gonna just live with this motor and "FIX" it, you should have every piece and part checked by a different machine shop because the consequences if something is wrong could be very expensive. Just how expensive could it be? Well..... If the failure were to involve a piston or a connecting rod there is a better than 50/50 chance that you could JUNK everything from the valvecovers down if it fails in a sudden glorious fashion.
I have a dial bore gauge & a mic. Filler gauges as well..my torque wrench that reads ft lbs & degrees...I'm under the impression that if a man can learn it then so can I. I really appreciate the knowledge & opinions you've shared.. Im sure I lack some experience & tools maybe still, I also am capable of obtaining them both. I kno way more now than I did before I made this post😎
Old 07-05-2018, 03:17 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JamJ1
I have a dial bore gauge & a mic. Filler gauges as well..my torque wrench that reads ft lbs & degrees...I'm under the impression that if a man can learn it then so can I. I really appreciate the knowledge & opinions you've shared.. Im sure I lack some experience & tools maybe still, I also am capable of obtaining them both. I kno way more now than I did before I made this post😎
Was this a Houston shop?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS

Was this a Houston shop?
no it was in louisana
Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JamJ1
I'm under the impression that if a man can learn it then so can I. I really appreciate the knowledge & opinions you've shared.. Im sure I lack some experience & tools maybe still, I also am capable of obtaining them both. I kno way more now than I did before I made this post😎
This is exactly the way I see things. Glad to see other people just say screw it I can do that or learn how rather than just fork over money to people that will never care about your stuff the way that you will.
And ya tools are always a good investment. Any time I need a tool I just go buy it and through the years you end up with a huge collection of every tool you'll ever need.
Good luck man I hope it all goes smoothly!

Quick Reply: Metal shavings & particals in a fresh lsx build🤔