Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam questions

Looking to put a mild cam into my 99 ws6 m6, car has 91,000 miles only mods are lid, headers and soon an ls6 intake. I was looking for something easier on the engine like a gm ls hot cam but im sure there are better options out there now? So what would fit this description? Also do i need to change pushrods or no? This is a cruiser that rarely sees the track. Thanks guys
Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a better option on an easy mild camshaft, WS6Store recently gave a modern refresh to the old GM Hot Cam. Named "High Lift Hot Cam", it has been re-produced to increase lift to .600" at the original durations. All while remaining beehive spring friendly. It is ground on high-end CNC equipment with lobes designed to be more quiet and valvetrain friendly than the original. Makes more power, has a nice sounding idle, and is very streetable. While you don't HAVE to change pushrods, it is highly recommended, especially since you will already have the weak old stock ones out. WS6Store also has great customer service and tech to get you pointed in the right direction and set up with everything you'll need.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Seems like a solid setup, id like to see 400hp, sound possible with this cam, long tubes, ls6 intake, lid and a good tune?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

I would assume that combo would make around 375-385 rwhp. To get 400+ out of a stock headed LS1 you would need a cam that is not considered mild or easy. Don't get caught up in numbers, put a package together that is recommended and aided by a sponsor and that fits your physical goals such as daily drivability, usable power within your rpm range, reliability, etc. You will be much happier in the end.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah i sometimes do get stuck on a number, why i dont know. But a quick streetable easy driving car is what im after at this point, and a good sound! I just dont like the idea of going all out on a 90k mile engine so the plan is to slowly build another and throw it in when the times right
Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8542

Sounds like a pretty good fit to me! Give them a call, they will take the time and make you happy.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks for the advice sir
Old 06-29-2018, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call cam companies and ask what would fit your requirements. Forums will give you 100 different answers, call the pros that do this for a living.. Jmho
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Looks like im down to two, ws6 store high lift asa or tsp 228r, would mind hearing everones opinions between the 2
Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Wont be much power difference between the two. 228 will have rougher idle and rev slightly higher maybe make a few more HP but nothing drastic.

EDIT: I thought you were compairing the high lift HOT CAM and the 228

Looks like the specs for the WS6 store ASA cam is gonna be even more agressive than the 228r. the longer exhaust duration will defiantly give more powerup high and have a choppy idle especially on a 110lsa I would do pushrods and with either one of those cams you will deffinatly want a stall, even a cheap ebay one will be better than the stocker. a 10" 3500ish stall with lockup can be had under $400 if your not gonna be spraying it

Last edited by Ls7colorado; 07-03-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

I agree you probably wont notice too much power difference between them. The 228r on a 112 will have 4° of overlap while the high lift ASA that he just recently mentioned has 11°, so the HLASA will definitely have a rougher idle with slightly worse street manners at low rpm. I say slightly because John from WS6Store told me under multiple accounts and tunings that the HLASA has very friendly parking lot and street manners. That is the cam I settled on. Now, the high lift hot cam will have -1.5° of overlap so it would definitely idle the smoothest and probably have the best low rpm street manners. It would probably be the easiest on the valvetrain and still sound pretty good at idle as the hot cam is known for. As suggested, a professional/sponsor could more specifically guide you.

EDIT: LS7colorado, just saw your edit sorry. Agreed.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I am in the exact same boat except I'm not going to put headers on my car. Texas Speed suggested a 220r 112 LSA for me. The Power Band will be under the curve. He said to look at Springs every 20,000 miles, it will take me a long time to put on 20,000 miles. I will probably do a double roller of chain and an oil pump because I have 115k. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

We have a couple cam choices for the LS1/6 that work out great!

If you have an auto or want a more tame setup in a manual this would be the perfect choice: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP801111

If you have a manual trans this would be the one to go for: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP801112

Both will need upgraded springs, our dual kit is a reliable high quality setup: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP811112
Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Not being the original poster I am hesitant to ask a question within this thread but since I am contemplating the same thing to my 2000 LS1 / M6 car here goes.

Is there a dyno graph available for the Livernois manual camshaft on an otherwise stock LS1?
Don't care about maximum torque or HP numbers but am wanting to see what the (apples to apples) curve looks like as compared to a stock LS1 camshaft.
Does it give more torque across the RPM range or is it shifting torque to the upper RPM range to the detriment of low RPM torque?
If it is gaining torque at the upper RPM range, how much higher RPM is the max. torque on the curve?
These are the questions I am wanting to answer by looking at a comparison graph.

What I am presuming the OP (and myself) are looking for is a camshaft that will meet or exceed the torque curve of the factory camshaft along the entire RPM range and extend the torque curve peak about 500 RPM beyond the factory cam to gain that extra power by raising the shift points to 6500 RPM.
Please school me if this presumption is incorrect.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by B Gordon; 07-05-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by B Gordon
Not being the original poster I am hesitant to ask a question within this thread but since I am contemplating the same thing to my 2000 LS1 / M6 car here goes.

Is there a dyno graph available for the Livernois manual camshaft on an otherwise stock LS1?
Don't care about maximum torque or HP numbers but am wanting to see what the (apples to apples) curve looks like as compared to a stock LS1 camshaft.
Does it give more torque across the RPM range or is it shifting torque to the upper RPM range to the detriment of low RPM torque?
If it is gaining torque at the upper RPM range, how much higher RPM is the max. torque on the curve?
These are the questions I am wanting to answer by looking at a comparison graph.

What I am presuming the OP (and myself) are looking for is a camshaft that will meet or exceed the torque curve of the factory camshaft along the entire RPM range and extend the torque curve peak about 500 RPM beyond the factory cam to gain that extra power by raising the shift points to 6500 RPM.
Please school me if this presumption is incorrect.

Thanks
Bruce
I included a graph for an LS1 car we did recently with this camshaft. This car also did our CNC program on the heads and an LS6 intake too while it was in. Stock (blue) was nearly stock with a lid and headers.

This camshaft will show gains all the way across the RPM band, and pull strong throughout. Peak HP will start to fall off around 6600.

Quick Reply: Cam questions