Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretical Heads Design Idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thought, is still something that looks like a butterfly, but it slides sideways into the head, instead of rotating. Then it's still supported 360 degrees on the compression and power strokes. It would look a little like a cigar cutter in action, or like a pocket door in a house.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there could be problems with the cigar cutter type though. When the heats up and the metal expands, the sliding door could get stuck due to the expansion of metals.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rotary engine is actually a remarkable engine. They are usually only "1.3 liters", however what people don't realize is that at any point during the rotors rotation, 1 side of the rotor is performing either intake, igniting, or exhaust. All at the same time. Plus the eccentric shaft rotates 1 for every 3 times a rotor turns. The problem with the engine is that it is not "torquey", and you need big ports that are not streetable to make good power, and you need to rev it to the sky. Oh, and a rotary engine only detonates once. And they are loud as heck. The interesting thing is that your peak power is actually determined by the length of your header, and/or entire exhaust system, before you join the two.

I have a great idea though. I was thinking about how to make the most efficient head. Here is what you need...Star Trek forcefield technology. Then you just have little forcefields open and close, allowing for absolutely perfect airflow. Unfortunately I don't know how to make a forcefield....hmmm.

P.S. That is just a joke.