Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 ported and polished heads recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 863 Likes on 659 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

TSP ported 243 removes the swirl ramp..
Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,522 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
TSP ported 243 removes the swirl ramp..
I thought LS9's were the only ones with swirl ramps
Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Here are my PRC 243's
Old 07-14-2018, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 863 Likes on 659 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by G Atsma
241/243 have them. I bet the 5.3 truck heads do as well.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Pretty sure thats where the name Vortec comes from, the swirl ramps. The swirl ramps go back as far as the TBI heads, the early Vortec Heads.
So I think all of the heads have them. Could be wrong, but don't think so.
If you take the valve out and stick a lit torch through the port the same way the air and fuel travels, it spins the flame as it comes out creating a Vortex.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

Send heads in to TEA, AI or Headgames and they will take care of you. Comparing flow charts is useless and id wager your engine doesnt ask for more than 280cfm per cylinder at peak piston speed. You want to satisfy the air demand/cyl then focus on getting that air into the engine at the highest velocity possible.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,522 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
Pretty sure thats where the name Vortec comes from, the swirl ramps. The swirl ramps go back as far as the TBI heads, the early Vortec Heads.
So I think all of the heads have them. Could be wrong, but don't think so.
If you take the valve out and stick a lit torch through the port the same way the air and fuel travels, it spins the flame as it comes out creating a Vortex.
Slogo, you could very easily be right! I hadn't thought of that angle. Vortec…. vortex..... DUUUHHHH! lol
Old 07-17-2018, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bspeck82
send heads in to tea, ai or headgames and they will take care of you. Comparing flow charts is useless and id wager your engine doesnt ask for more than 280cfm per cylinder at peak piston speed. You want to satisfy the air demand/cyl then focus on getting that air into the engine at the highest velocity possible.
yep, what he said.. If your engine only requires 280cfm per cyl, who cares if it flows 310 or higher, worry about intake flow and airspeed instead.. Airspeed is way more important then excess CFM numbers.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SRT8.Acelleration
yep, what he said.. If your engine only requires 280cfm per cyl, who cares if it flows 310 or higher, worry about intake flow and airspeed instead.. Airspeed is way more important then excess CFM numbers.
I Googled, only came up with Air Compressor type info. Is there a online Calculator to figure the required cfm per cylinder, or some math, I'm sure there are tons of
variables but just some Generic info would be Appreciated, or do you know of a juicy website to get some info. The Particular size of Cylinder I'm curious is 55.6 ci
Old 07-17-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

The Frankenstein program looks really nice.... might be worth checking out.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoHope
BTR Stage 3. I'd like to not spend an arm and a leg, it's never going to be a track car, just a quick street car with maybe 2-3 pulls at the track in the next year.

Any other ideas on additional mods I can do from here and to keep it NA? Fast 92/92? Underdrive pulley? Electric water pump? I'm still running stock fuel injectors, 28lbs I think they are.
Spray that bitch.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Send heads in to TEA, AI or Headgames and they will take care of you. Comparing flow charts is useless and id wager your engine doesnt ask for more than 280cfm per cylinder at peak piston speed. You want to satisfy the air demand/cyl then focus on getting that air into the engine at the highest velocity possible.
LOL you were just posting flow charts to me the other day to prove frankenstein head porting jobs were better than TFS heads.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Every flow bench is different just like rear wheel horsepower dynos. A dynojet go read totally different from a mustang dyno.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slogo
I Googled, only came up with Air Compressor type info. Is there a online Calculator to figure the required cfm per cylinder, or some math, I'm sure there are tons of
variables but just some Generic info would be Appreciated, or do you know of a juicy website to get some info. The Particular size of Cylinder I'm curious is 55.6 ci
READ THIS: http://darinmorgan.net/frank-talk-about-flow-numbers/

LISTEN TO THIS: http://www.powerandspeedpodcast.com/?p=342
Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00pooterss
lol you were just posting flow charts to me the other day to prove frankenstein head porting jobs were better than tfs heads.
flow numbers do one thing "sell parts", if you really start doing research about cylinder head design then you will learn very quickly that the internet is full of bs and there is no magic cylinder head for all engines. There are way to many variables that dictate what cylinder head is right for a particular combo, this bigger is better mentality is completely false as airspeed is the biggest factor to hp/tq production. If the engine requires a set cfm to fill cylinders say 280cfm and you install heads that flow 320, all you did is slow airspeed and thus lose hp/tq at peak piston speed. Cfm numbers do matter some, i look at cfm numbers in the .200 to .400 range and would assume higher the better as long as airspeed is still very good, i could care less what a head flows at .600 on a street/strip car. We can all sit here and talk about heads all day but what it comes down too is "leave it to the pros", there is no way we will know more then oem/cylinder head pros that have been doing this for 30+ years and have tried millions of dollars worth of combos and parts. You want the proper head for your car, call headgames, darin morgan, frankenstein, morrison, afr, etc: Talk about your complete combo and vehicle use and let them make the decision for you.

DARIN MORGAN:FRANK TALK ABOUT FLOW NUMBERS

I often hear people say that flow numbers don’t matter, and people should not pay attention to them. This is a gross oversimplification and to be quite frank, these statements are dead wrong! Experienced cylinder head designers and head porters tell people not to pay attention to flow numbers but that does not mean that flow numbers don’t matter. This distinction is often lost in the translation. Flow numbers are important, and they do have meaning. Just not the meaning most people attribute. Air flow numbers alone give insight into the potential for power. They don’t guarantee you will make more power. What professionals in the industry really mean to say is, “Flow numbers alone don’t matter and cannot be used to judge the power potential of a particular cylinder head design.” Flow numbers are just one variable used for various equations to analyze port characteristics in a very complex system. You can have 10 different ports with the same exact flow numbers, yet they can vary wildly in RPM range, acceleration and power. I will let you in on a little secret: achieving mind numbingly high flow numbers is easy. So easy, in fact, that I can show anyone how to do it in one day. What I can’t teach in one day, is how to incorporate experience in conjunction with the math, aerodynamics, thermodynamics and the physics it takes to design the correct port and manifold design for a particular engine combination. These processes took me 20 years to master.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Every flow bench is different just like rear wheel horsepower dynos. A dynojet go read totally different from a mustang dyno.
Originally Posted by SRT8.Acelleration
flow numbers do one thing "sell parts", if you really start doing research about cylinder head design then you will learn very quickly that the internet is full of bs and there is no magic cylinder head for all engines. There are way to many variables that dictate what cylinder head is right for a particular combo, this bigger is better mentality is completely false as airspeed is the biggest factor to hp/tq production. If the engine requires a set cfm to fill cylinders say 280cfm and you install heads that flow 320, all you did is slow airspeed and thus lose hp/tq at peak piston speed. Cfm numbers do matter some, i look at cfm numbers in the .200 to .400 range and would assume higher the better as long as airspeed is still very good, i could care less what a head flows at .600 on a street/strip car. We can all sit here and talk about heads all day but what it comes down too is "leave it to the pros", there is no way we will know more then oem/cylinder head pros that have been doing this for 30+ years and have tried millions of dollars worth of combos and parts. You want the proper head for your car, call headgames, darin morgan, frankenstein, morrison, afr, etc: Talk about your complete combo and vehicle use and let them make the decision for you.

DARIN MORGAN:FRANK TALK ABOUT FLOW NUMBERS

I often hear people say that flow numbers don’t matter, and people should not pay attention to them. This is a gross oversimplification and to be quite frank, these statements are dead wrong! Experienced cylinder head designers and head porters tell people not to pay attention to flow numbers but that does not mean that flow numbers don’t matter. This distinction is often lost in the translation. Flow numbers are important, and they do have meaning. Just not the meaning most people attribute. Air flow numbers alone give insight into the potential for power. They don’t guarantee you will make more power. What professionals in the industry really mean to say is, “Flow numbers alone don’t matter and cannot be used to judge the power potential of a particular cylinder head design.” Flow numbers are just one variable used for various equations to analyze port characteristics in a very complex system. You can have 10 different ports with the same exact flow numbers, yet they can vary wildly in RPM range, acceleration and power. I will let you in on a little secret: achieving mind numbingly high flow numbers is easy. So easy, in fact, that I can show anyone how to do it in one day. What I can’t teach in one day, is how to incorporate experience in conjunction with the math, aerodynamics, thermodynamics and the physics it takes to design the correct port and manifold design for a particular engine combination. These processes took me 20 years to master.
I have no idea why you posted that to me as if I don't understand port flow and that flow benches differ.

I was responding to Bspeck. The other day I recommended someone go with TFS as cast 220 heads and he said Frankenstein ported (OE) heads would make more power since they flow more cfm.. and then he posted flow charts of TFS heads and Frankenstein heads comparing them, that were done on different benches. Then today he posts up that comparing flow charts is useless.. Which I already knew and "argued" about in the other thread.

It's called irony and it was funny. I'm really stumped as to how y'all didn't get that to begin with.

Thanks for the education, but I've already passed that class.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-18-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I HOPE no one thinks a ported 243 head would out do a tfs 220 head. It's power hidden in those TFS heads period by them being 13.5 degrees which people can easily overlook when looking at flow numbers.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I HOPE no one thinks a ported 243 head would out do a tfs 220 head. It's power hidden in those TFS heads period by them being 13.5 degrees which people can easily overlook when looking at flow numbers.
It’s possible. Not likely, but possible.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 424 Likes on 308 Posts

I did not say cfm was all that mattered, it's a part of the equation. More CFM from an equal or smaller port generally means more airspeed in that port. Looking at flow numbers is tricky because there is no standardized method to it so results vendor to vendor can be misleading. More CFM In the mid-range equates to more power if your cyl demands it. What you make (CFM) at .600 isn't nearly as important as what you make at .200 - .500.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
I did not say cfm was all that mattered, it's a part of the equation. More CFM from an equal or smaller port generally means more airspeed in that port. Looking at flow numbers is tricky because there is no standardized method to it so results vendor to vendor can be misleading. More CFM In the mid-range equates to more power if your cyl demands it. What you make (CFM) at .600 isn't nearly as important as what you make at .200 - .500.
That last sentence.... Tooley told me that in person years ago.

Quick Reply: 243 ported and polished heads recommendations?