Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install help *UPDATE** 7-1-19

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cam install help *UPDATE** 7-1-19

Got the cam in im trying to get the sprocket off the crank but i cannot get it off with the 3 arm puller so how have you guys removed them im beyond fustrated with this thing

Last edited by tberg725; 07-01-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are trying to get the crank pulley off? Which puller are you trying to use? I have a pretty nice OTC puller I have that worked real well.. I applied some heat with a propane torch before I attempted pulling. Where are you at in michigan?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a 3 arm puller. I snugged it up just enough to hold it in place then tightened a hose clamp around the arms to hold it tight to the crank gear. Worked perfectly and easily, no heat no frustration. Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 10-02-2018, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Why are you taking that off?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I misunderstood and thought you meant the crank pulley.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
I used a 3 arm puller. I snugged it up just enough to hold it in place then tightened a hose clamp around the arms to hold it tight to the crank gear. Worked perfectly and easily, no heat no frustration. Hope this helps, good luck!

aahhhh I did not think of that but that puller is more narrow than the one that I was trying to use, maybe that would help more also I could rent a more narrow one form autozone maybe lol

Originally Posted by trilkb
Why are you taking that off?
because I am replacing the timing chain which came with new gears figured you had to use the new bottom as welll with the top and the old one could not be reused??

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
You are trying to get the crank pulley off? Which puller are you trying to use? I have a pretty nice OTC puller I have that worked real well.. I applied some heat with a propane torch before I attempted pulling. Where are you at in michigan?
not the crank pully the actual sprocket that is on the crank
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Sorry I misunderstood and thought you meant the crank pulley.
my bad I did not see your reply also im doing the swap over at my buddys house in warren
Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

the only thing is that the current one that is on there right now looks exactly like the one that came in the new set so im not 100% sure if that has to be replaced, kinda one of those things that I was like well sense I got a new one I should probably replace that with everything else
Old 10-02-2018, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg725
the only thing is that the current one that is on there right now looks exactly like the one that came in the new set so im not 100% sure if that has to be replaced, kinda one of those things that I was like well sense I got a new one I should probably replace that with everything else
The only thing I replaced was my timing chain
Old 10-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

When I replaced my timing chain I also thought "Does the crank gear really need to be replaced?". I decided that while I had the oil pump off I was going to do this the best that I could. I'm glad I did replace both sprockets as the chain tension is perfect and nowhere near as sloppy as stock. I also have the piece of mind knowing I have brand new parts in there. Im sure the chain would have been a little looser with one of the original sprockets. As for your puller, as long as the hooks fit behind the gear you could still use it, just with a larger hose clamp. I bought my puller from Tractor Supply for around $20.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
When I replaced my timing chain I also thought "Does the crank gear really need to be replaced?". I decided that while I had the oil pump off I was going to do this the best that I could. I'm glad I did replace both sprockets as the chain tension is perfect and nowhere near as sloppy as stock. I also have the piece of mind knowing I have brand new parts in there. Im sure the chain would have been a little looser with one of the original sprockets. As for your puller, as long as the hooks fit behind the gear you could still use it, just with a larger hose clamp. I bought my puller from Tractor Supply for around $20.
Well I went a head and found a puller that worked, got the sprocket off and replaced with the new one, chain tension is amazing compared to the sloppy mess that I seen when I pulled off the old set up kinda freaky to see how sloppy the chain was. while tearing apart the motor I did notice my belts were basically shredded must have been the ones that came on the car from the factory, I cant wait to get this thing finished up here within the next couple days it sucks having to wait till my buddy is off work to go over and work on the car
Old 10-04-2018, 04:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Great progress so far!!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Great progress so far!!
Thank you, things are going pretty good for my first ls cam swap heres where i left off at today

Old 10-05-2018, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the belts are shredded I would look closely at the harmonic damper. The one in the photo looks a little long in the tooth and right now you have good access to replace it.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vettenuts
If the belts are shredded I would look closely at the harmonic damper. The one in the photo looks a little long in the tooth and right now you have good access to replace it.
It looked perfect when i first took it off coolant and stuff got on it needs to be wiped off before i get everything back together, my guess would be that the belt was 19 years old sense there was dry rot and cracking that i noticed then pulled it off and it was shredded
Old 10-06-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

They sell timing chain and gears as a set for a reason.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

I'm in a bad spot fellas I got the car all back together and it will not start, I have fuel and I have spark, when I try to start the motor it back fired threw the intake and is turning over like nothing. my buddy seems to think sense the aftermarket crank sprocket is different than the stock one that the crank needs to be spun 50 degrees to make them match and this does not really make sense to me. texas speed said that the cam has to go in dot to dot and that is how it was installed I even spun the motor over with the chain hooked up and made sure that it spun around dot to dot. has anyone had this problem or know of anyone that has had this problem? any imput would be great help I was hoping to have this thing done by now and get ready to store it for the winter here in a few weeks
Old 10-14-2018, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did it have enough run time to throw any SES codes that you could check?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Did you use an adjustable timing set or an "oem" type set? You could easily have an adjustable crank gear on advanced or retarded but still be "dot-to-dot". Also, what pushrods are you using and are your rocker arms torqued down?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

You install them dot to dot. There is no 50* anything.
A backfire would likely mean you have cam timing off or some sort of timing/fuel issue.

Quick Reply: Cam install help *UPDATE** 7-1-19