Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front welch plug #%#^@

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
The oil filter itself lets particles bypass the oil filter. You do know that, right? Huge misconception that people think all of their oil passes through the filter media every trip its pumped around the engine. That's not how it works. Any time you're pushing over about 20-30psi depending on temperature and brand of oil filter, the bypass starts to open.
w..well your stoopid..haha you got me on that. I guess ill go with the it was bright and shiny defense
Old 11-09-2018, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

The oil filter itself lets particles bypass the oil filter. You do know that, right? Huge misconception that people think all of their oil passes through the filter media every trip its pumped around the engine. That's not how it works. Any time you're pushing over about 20-30psi depending on temperature and brand of oil filter, the bypass starts to open.
You are right, but the stock barbell is so sloppy it allows dirty oil past without even going thru the filter, where there is a MUCH better chance of the crud being filtered out.
Wouldn't you agree a trip thru the filter is better than just bypassing it? Logic says YES....
Old 11-10-2018, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You are right, but the stock barbell is so sloppy it allows dirty oil past without even going thru the filter, where there is a MUCH better chance of the crud being filtered out.
Wouldn't you agree a trip thru the filter is better than just bypassing it? Logic says YES....
No, because it changes nothing. The filter filters x quantity of oil, period. It doesn't care what the barbell is or isn't doing. The dirty oil clean oil argument holds no basis in reality, because when viewed as a whole, it has zero effect on the amount of oil that gets filtered. Great sales gimmick though.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:41 AM
Teching In

maybe I've been building performance engines wrong over the past 30+ years but the first thing in modifying the oiling system is to block filter bypass
Old 11-10-2018, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, because it changes nothing. The filter filters x quantity of oil, period. It doesn't care what the barbell is or isn't doing. The dirty oil clean oil argument holds no basis in reality, because when viewed as a whole, it has zero effect on the amount of oil that gets filtered. Great sales gimmick though.
You totally miss the point. With the stock barbell, it is such a sloppy fit that dirty oil passes the filter even when its bypass is closed. And if you have a cooler in the line, it bypasses it too. The billet barbell just makes the system work more as it was designed. Nobody designed the stock barbell to bypass oil. It just does.... and if you think otherwise, well nobody can help the helpless....
Old 11-10-2018, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so would it be best to just delete the barbell then to get rid of the restriction and just run a plug instead? Oh wait, I just remembered you don’t even need to plug it because it’s a sealed system. Is that right? Lol
Old 11-10-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
so would it be best to just delete the barbell then to get rid of the restriction and just run a plug instead? Oh wait, I just remembered you don’t even need to plug it because it’s a sealed system. Is that right? Lol

Watch out, ol' DietPepsi might agree with all this! lol
Old 11-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so this is cool. I just checked my 07 lq4 (technically its a lq9 now) that im building and the oil filter bypass isnt even machined..i checked another oil pan from an 02 lm7 and the bypass is there. This is good and saves me from buying the plug.

so this actually gives merit to the upgraded barbell since 100% of the oil is going to be filtered.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick5.3
Ok so this is cool. I just checked my 07 lq4 (technically its a lq9 now) that im building and the oil filter bypass isnt even machined..i checked another oil pan from an 02 lm7 and the bypass is there. This is good and saves me from buying the plug.

so this actually gives merit to the upgraded barbell since 100% of the oil is going to be filtered.
You still won’t get 100% of your oil filtered unless your running a true racing oil filter. All filters for an LS engine have an internal bypass that lets some oil pass without filtration. They are designed this way, for the occasional owner who changes his oil every 30,000 miles, and his filter is completely clogged up.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Che70velle

You still won’t get 100% of your oil filtered unless your running a true racing oil filter. All filters for an LS engine have an internal bypass that lets some oil pass without filtration. They are designed this way, for the occasional owner who changes his oil every 30,000 miles, and his filter is completely clogged up.
can you reccomend one?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM
ModSquad

I only run Wix.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Back to the original program:
You can buy the correct front plug from any GM dealer for about $3.00
Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You totally miss the point. With the stock barbell, it is such a sloppy fit that dirty oil passes the filter even when its bypass is closed. And if you have a cooler in the line, it bypasses it too. The billet barbell just makes the system work more as it was designed. Nobody designed the stock barbell to bypass oil. It just does.... and if you think otherwise, well nobody can help the helpless....
... lol. in-line oil cooler. lol.

Same concept as the oil filter. Oil is cooled at a rate just like oil is filtered at a rate. Aggregate whole is all that matters.

As far as the barbell plug, yes, you can plug both sides. It's difficult to plug between the inner passages because of the shape of the oil galley where it goes down to the filter and because you'd have to drive the plug through 2 openings of the same diameter (outer block, inner galley, to between the oil ports), which is why the barbell exists.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

As the other fellow also stated, the bypass internal to the pan is irrelevant because the filters have bypasses in them. There are a few you can get without them. 51522 wix being one of them.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM
ModSquad

As the other fellow also stated, the bypass internal to the pan is irrelevant because the filters have bypasses in them. There are a few you can get without them. 51522 wix being one of them.
The 51522 is a 13/16-16 thread, and won’t fit any LS I have, although I could prolly change the nipple out in the pan...
Old 11-12-2018, 04:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Che70velle

The 51522 is a 13/16-16 thread, and won’t fit any LS I have, although I could prolly change the nipple out in the pan...
Yep. You can put whatever size thread on it you want.