Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Ported Heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

We should stop blending bowls and seats too since that helps with reversion, stop doing multi angle cuts on valve seats too since if they were all jagged we could cut down on reversion. We should stop attacking the 98% of flow volume and focus on the 2% of volume that moves through the intake valve.

They should stop putting those air smoothers on the back of 18 wheelers because the direction of flow is from the front why in the world would they put those on the back??? Why is a busa designed for air to form seamlessly as it rolls off the rear? Stupid engineers that don't understand the direction of flow...
Old 12-22-2018, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 650 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
We should stop blending bowls and seats too since that helps with reversion, stop doing multi angle cuts on valve seats too since if they were all jagged we could cut down on reversion. We should stop attacking the 98% of flow volume and focus on the 2% of volume that moves through the intake valve.

They should stop putting those air smoothers on the back of 18 wheelers because the direction of flow is from the front why in the world would they put those on the back??? Why is a busa designed for air to form seamlessly as it rolls off the rear? Stupid engineers that don't understand the direction of flow...

why did you even even post this? No one was getting sideways with you. We were just answering why you don’t do it on the intake side, but if you know something we don’t know, I’m all ears. If you haven’t already, pick up a couple of David vizards books on head porting. He has lots of very good info and that’s where I got a lot of my info from. I’ve leatned a lot from him and he is world renowned for making lots of power.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is a busa designed for air to form seamlessly as it rolls off the rear? Stupid engineers that don't understand the direction of flow...
That’s mostly just aesthetics. Bike aero is very dirty. GP bikes which reg trap over 210mpg look way diff than a teardrop busa...I’ve ridden 600s at Road Atlanta in a draft at 160mph and that **** buffers like crazy, even with the spear tipped R6 tails.

as for those applications, they’re all meant to reduce drag from turbulence behind them, which creates a vacuum effect ...not meant for promoting airflow..those teardrops on helmets, the flap things on trailers..totally different application than intake air delivery into the combustion chamber where you NEED turbulence for efficiency and power
Old 12-22-2018, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

That's good info posted. It seemed like you guys were just shutting down what I was saying and I pictured that guy that told you smoothing the exhaust valves wouldn't work but you tested the theory.. I like testing theories. And I can see both of y'all's points about the theory. But has it been tested? Have you tested it?

We all know that any smoothing of airflow is a good thing, the sharp edge on the valve at the trailing edge could be a small place to find a cfm or two... That's was my thought. And big time head porters teardrop the trailing edge of the valve guide bosses sometimes. So I figured there may be something to the trailing edge of places air has to flow around.

Doesn't seem that far fetched.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Also on this board people are so quick to shut you down without thoroughly reading your post or giving it thought. It happens daily and today I got shitty about it. You two are actually not doing that, seemed you were, I take back the ******** attitude.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KLowR6

That’s mostly just aesthetics. Bike aero is very dirty. GP bikes which reg trap over 210mpg look way diff than a teardrop busa...I’ve ridden 600s at Road Atlanta in a draft at 160mph and that **** buffers like crazy, even with the spear tipped R6 tails.

as for those applications, they’re all meant to reduce drag from turbulence behind them, which creates a vacuum effect ...not meant for promoting airflow..those teardrops on helmets, the flap things on trailers..totally different application than intake air delivery into the combustion chamber where you NEED turbulence for efficiency and power

Great info but all of them come to a pointed, or tapered rear section. And I understand it's to reduce turbulence and vacuum. But some of the work done on cylinder heads is to reduce turbulence isn't it?

And do we really thing that air flowing around a sharp edge is better than a smooth edge? However it may be completely futile but it was also though smoothing the face of the exhaust valve was futile and kfx found otherwise.

If it's been tested I'll shut up. But it seemed like ideas were being shut down based on theory.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 863 Likes on 659 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Isn't the piston pulling air and fuel in the intake side on the downstroke and using the same piston to push the exhaust out? So doesn't the pressure do some of the work on the exhaust side making flow less of an issue. Generally heads flow less on the exhaust side.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

That's good info posted. It seemed like you guys were just shutting down what I was saying and I pictured that guy that told you smoothing the exhaust valves wouldn't work but you tested the theory.. I like testing theories. And I can see both of y'all's points about the theory. But has it been tested? Have you tested it?

We all know that any smoothing of airflow is a good thing, the sharp edge on the valve at the trailing edge could be a small place to find a cfm or two... That's was my thought. And big time head porters teardrop the trailing edge of the valve guide bosses sometimes. So I figured there may be something to the trailing edge of places air has to flow around.

Doesn't seem that far fetched.
david vizard had tested it with far more complicated equipment than I have access to. But next time I have the motor apart I’ll test it. Come to think of it, I’ll get with my buddy and see if he can test it on the next stock valve size head he tests. I don’t be avlble to confirm the reversion but I’ll be able to document flow. Hows that sound?
Old 12-22-2018, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

david vizard had tested it with far more complicated equipment than I have access to. But next time I have the motor apart I’ll test it. Come to think of it, I’ll get with my buddy and see if he can test it on the next stock valve size head he tests. I don’t be avlble to confirm the reversion but I’ll be able to document flow. Hows that sound?
Sounds like an awesome offer I appreciate but if someone has tested it that is highly regarded in the field... I'm smart enough to know when to shut up and listen. And that sounds like proof enough. Why didn't you just say that in the beginning!! lol. (about it already being tested)

If you still feel like testing it that would be cool, I didn't expect that. Super cool of you to offer.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like an awesome offer I appreciate but if someone has tested it that is highly regarded in the field... I'm smart enough to know when to shut up and listen. And that sounds like proof enough. Why didn't you just say that in the beginning!! lol. (about it already being tested)

If you still feel like testing it that would be cool, I didn't expect that. Super cool of you to offer.
my bad. I guess I should have said that. I was reading the kindle book in my phone trying to find it but it’s in my book at home. I’ll see if I can snap a pic and post it later tonight. I’m headed to New Orleans right now
Old 12-22-2018, 04:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,240 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check out post #8 in my build thread, in my sig. Click on pic of my valves, and it will enlarge. Shows a great shot of Tony’s chamberside valve work, and Tony is considered one of the best in the nation, if not the world.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Check out post #8 in my build thread, in my sig. Click on pic of my valves, and it will enlarge. Shows a great shot of Tony’s chamberside valve work, and Tony is considered one of the best in the nation, if not the world.

Wow I've never clicked on either of the build links in your sig, I did quickly on both and I'm gonna have to spend some time looking through each.

In the picture it's hard to tell but it appears the exhaust valve has a radius to it and that the intake valve may have a sharp edge to it at the very edge of the valve.

While I was out shopping I was thinking it may not matter much for there to be a radius on the chamber side of the intake valve due to the angle on the back side of the valve trajecting the air outward and away from the valve as it flows into the chamber. Originally I was thinking of any smoothing that could be done for air in and out/and around is good potentially good. But it may not actually apply, we all know how theories go. They're usually only good until tested.

Even though I dickheaded the comment about reversion, I'm still listening to it and I thought more about it. Another thing I thought is there may also be a low pressure area on the underside of the valve also that may make the radiusing of the lower side a non issue.

I'm also aware I'm out of my league here lol.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 12-22-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

my bad. I guess I should have said that. I was reading the kindle book in my phone trying to find it but it’s in my book at home. I’ll see if I can snap a pic and post it later tonight. I’m headed to New Orleans right now
No problem man, nothing personal against anyone I've just never been in the business of taking what someone thinks and running with it. So that's why I was wondering if it had been tested and said I'd shut up if so. Thanks for posting info about it and searching for examples to give. I like to burn stuff like this into my brain but I want to make sure it's accurate info, because I'll be in the position of passing it on one day.

And don't get in a hurry on my account. I have plenty of time to learn.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

KLowR6, your cylinder heads look really nice. Looking forward to reading more about your build.