Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal LS1 oil pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal LS1 oil pressure??

Ok so I bought my 2001 Camaro SS (LS1) Early last year. And it was running around 45psi at hot idle. And cruising highway speeds around 60psi. I build the top end and put a cam in it. Since then it's been having what I believe is a problem. At first start up the oil pressure is around 50psi. When the car warms it goes to 40-45. But after driving for 30-60 minutes. The idle pressure is between 25-30 and driving At highway speeds the pressure stays around 35..... any help or answers would be great! Ls1, 243 ported heads, ms3 cam, ls6 intake, etc etc
Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,147 Likes on 2,454 Posts

That's actually not bad. These engines don't normally run very high pressures. How many miles?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If it happened the same time you changed the cam its possible the cam bearings are on the loose side with the new cam. What you could have done is measure the old cam journals to the new cam and see how much difference there is.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
That's actually not bad. These engines don't normally run very high pressures. How many miles?
just passed 182k stock bottom end. What's cause it to be different from before the build?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
If it happened the same time you changed the cam its possible the cam bearings are on the loose side with the new cam. What you could have done is measure the old cam journals to the new cam and see how much difference there is.
that's s good point thanks. Normally when a car warms up the pressure stays around the same right? What would cause it to decrease another 20psi after it was already warm?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The funny thing is that the current description is what gm considers normal. Your original pressure would be considered extremely high. The pressure is measured in relation to rpm so cruising down the highway at 2k rpm you shouldn't be anywhere near 60 psi unless you have a high pressure pump and even then that seems a bit high.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
The funny thing is that the current description is what gm considers normal. Your original pressure would be considered extremely high. The pressure is measured in relation to rpm so cruising down the highway at 2k rpm you shouldn't be anywhere near 60 psi unless you have a high pressure pump and even then that seems a bit high.
Fresh build here and I'm running a high volume oil pump. My pressure holds at just under 60 PSI at 900 rpm''s and gets up to 65 psi when I'm in it so should I be worried?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Fresh build here and I'm running a high volume oil pump. My pressure holds at just under 60 PSI at 900 rpm''s and gets up to 65 psi when I'm in it so should I be worried?
Not at all
Old 01-12-2019, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Latshaw
Ok so I bought my 2001 Camaro SS (LS1) Early last year. And it was running around 45psi at hot idle. And cruising highway speeds around 60psi. I build the top end and put a cam in it. Since then it's been having what I believe is a problem. At first start up the oil pressure is around 50psi. When the car warms it goes to 40-45. But after driving for 30-60 minutes. The idle pressure is between 25-30 and driving At highway speeds the pressure stays around 35..... any help or answers would be great! Ls1, 243 ported heads, ms3 cam, ls6 intake, etc etc
There is a difference between engine temperature and oil temperature, What you're likely seeing is engine temperature coming up and then the oil temp continuing to rise until leveling off after you get on the highway.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,368 Posts

That seems a bit low to me bu not critically low. I'm sure you changed your oil and filter after the mods and what oil are you running? The reason I mentioned the oil filter is that I have several vehicles and they all have LS engines in them. After 3,000-5,000 miles on the oil and filter my pressure seems to get weaker on my 5.3 but once I change the oil and filter again it goes back to its normal range.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

that's s good point thanks. Normally when a car warms up the pressure stays around the same right? What would cause it to decrease another 20psi after it was already warm?
All engines drop oil pressure as the oil gets hot and thins out. Most I would say drop 20psi from cold to hot example would be If I start my car cold the oil pressure hangs around 60, as it warms up it will drop to 40. Yours starts at 50 and drops to 25-30, I wouldn't say that bad but it is lower than stock.

If the oil looks clean from metal and the engine is quiet I wouldn't worry over it. Only thing you could realistically do is go back in check the cam bearing sizes against your new cam journals and replace the cam retainer plate. Not really worth doing because you can't change the cam bearings in the car any ways. Personally I think you're ok. unless it gets worse. You could also use some Lucas Synthetic oil additive. It will help to up the oil pressure and add protection. I use it in all my engines, great stuff as long as you only use the Synthetic version. The thick snotty Lucas is for engines that are worn out IMO.

One other problem could be the oil pickup tube oil ring leaking air into the oil stream but I doubt thts your problem because if it were you would be experiencing loud tapping lifters at times.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

After I did my heads and cam swap on my ls1 I lost oil pressure too. It's just what happens. Cam journals aren't the same clearances as the stock cam that wore into the bearings . I just run thicker oil to compensate
Old 01-12-2019, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

All engines drop oil pressure as the oil gets hot and thins out. Most I would say drop 20psi from cold to hot example would be If I start my car cold the oil pressure hangs around 60, as it warms up it will drop to 40. Yours starts at 50 and drops to 25-30, I wouldn't say that bad but it is lower than stock.

If the oil looks clean from metal and the engine is quiet I wouldn't worry over it. Only thing you could realistically do is go back in check the cam bearing sizes against your new cam journals and replace the cam retainer plate. Not really worth doing because you can't change the cam bearings in the car any ways. Personally I think you're ok. unless it gets worse. You could also use some Lucas Synthetic oil additive. It will help to up the oil pressure and add protection. I use it in all my engines, great stuff as long as you only use the Synthetic version. The thick snotty Lucas is for engines that are worn out IMO.

One other problem could be the oil pickup tube oil ring leaking air into the oil stream but I doubt thts your problem because if it were you would be experiencing loud tapping lifters at times.
If you have 30psi warm I wouldn't worry about it but , 35 at highway is not normal and is a concern. Lucas is a good product but I dont like to run additives in normally healthy engines . If your psi gets worse, low 20s then I would go with Lucas . I would change oil every 1500 to 2k use a good synthetic oil, one that does not break down quickly ! You could try a heavier weight but my experience it does not help much at all
Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

new findings.... i noticed some tanish looking bubbles on the oil cap. On the dipstick tgere were maybe a handfull of very tiny bubbles too. But oil looks fine from what i can tell. Ok when I did the cam swap I lossened the oil pump.... but didn't take it off. Also I'm getting above normal valve train noise. More so when its cold
Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

By loosening the oil pump, you MIGHT have messed up the O-ring in the pickup tube. That would put bubbles in the system, causing additional valve noise.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

By loosening the oil pump, you MIGHT have messed up the O-ring in the pickup tube. That would put bubbles in the system, causing additional valve noise.
that's what I'm thinking. What else would cause aeration in the oil?
Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's usually it, unless the pickup tube is cracked.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

The oring is sore spot in these engines. I'd change just because of age. Or at least add a seal seal sweller additive, worked for me when the oring was old.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the O-ring is old, change it. No snake-oil fixes need apply here.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

That's usually it, unless the pickup tube is cracked.
what's the easiest way to go with changing the o ring. And what kind?