Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spes on a g5X2 and G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:34 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
No being but you could take off the shelf XE-R lobes on a 112LSA and make numbers identical to a X-3 112...granted you know the two duration specs...you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
If Lou is using XE-R lobes for the X3, then you most certainly could.

Valve events are valve events...regardless of who grinds them.
If they are similar, the engine will perform similarly.
A major factor in how a big cam will idle is how radical the lobes are.
Nope, its more a factor of how much of valve event selection and duration.

The MMS229 cam had old slow lobes. Fast lobes yield less overlap.
Only if you are talking about similar lobes @ .050, and one is more agreesive onward like .200. But overalp is calulated @ .006 to .050 in mos taces so, this wouldn't exactly be true. In most cases a slower lobe will have more initial duration, and the same @ .050 leading to more overlap, not less.

And I'm not doubting that Lou has helped the LS1 community go faster...he definitely has, but his cams are not splashed with holy water when they're shipped out.
Agreed also. But no one gets to ride for free. Lou's not in business to do free R&D for everyone.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J-Rod - I understand the principles of a cam. I was just generalizing a few things. What I was saying about overlap was given the same .050" duration, a cam with more aggressive lobes (less advertised) will idle better. Guess I shouldnt have said "major factor", but I was just trying to prove a point. MMS's cams had the same .050 valve events to other cams of that size, but the valves had more total time off the seat due to the increased duration at .006. Most everyone is using XE-R lobes or an equivalent nowadays and was just trying to show that MMSs were old tech. And I know Lou isnt in the R&D business for free...but he isnt the only one to make a big cam with big numbers.

Last edited by MyLS1Hauls; 07-19-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 385
That was also done in a car that was VERY lightweight with great driving and a well setup combo. (suspension, gearing, weight etc etc)

The bone stock internal record is in the 11.2 range.

I am not arguing that it is not a good cam. I am just saying it isn't radical as far as cam designs go for a small block V8.
Do you also agree that anyone else in the world is capable of the same lightweight car and driving skills? the spotlight is on him due to the fact that he IS the fastest... im sure many others have a similar setup but just arent as fast
Old 07-19-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are several M6 guys in the 10s with cam only at heavier weight. It can be done but the cam isn't necessarily the magical piece of the puzzle.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

You know, even after pounding into peoples heads that Lou keeps the cam specs secret to protect himself and his research... people STILL insisnt on spending months of work trying to save a few bucks and cheat their way around him! I dont see people bugging Jay at absolute speed on how he ports his heads to make sure they are done right, or calling FAST to see how they build their intakes differently then the LS6.... Just accept that Lou makes a bad *** cam and either use it or dont... if you are out to prove some conspiracy theory that he did nothing special other than grab a cam off the shelf, then great... go write a book about it! For the rest of us that run his cam and love it, you will never hear us bitch... I personally dont care what his specs of his cam are, I know they work, I know they make power and ive proven it over and over with multiple cars here running his cams... if I have a fitment question I Call and talk to him or Louis... tell them the measured valve drop or required components of the install and I get an instant straight answer on if it will work or not... and chances are if I really needed the specs that bad im sure they would be willing to work with me!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

There are several M6 guys in the 10s with cam only at heavier weight. It can be done but the cam isn't necessarily the magical piece of the puzzle.
simple truth is anyone can do it the same way he did... to my knowledge he is still the fastest... people can bitch all day long that the G5X2 is nothing and hes fast just because of his weight... but at the end of the day, he is still the fastest and hes there because of the LG cam... when someone beats him with a different cam I will be sure to shut up... but till then im waiting
Old 07-19-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
simple truth is anyone can do it the same way he did... to my knowledge he is still the fastest... people can bitch all day long that the G5X2 is nothing and hes fast just because of his weight... but at the end of the day, he is still the fastest and hes there because of the LG cam... when someone beats him with a different cam I will be sure to shut up... but till then im waiting
LOL If you think he is there only because of the LG cam you really need to get to the track more

BTW I am NOT dissing the cam. I think it is a great grind. It just isn't a radical grind or an extreme departure from a normal small block cam
Old 07-19-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Reading all this BS, I'm almost tempted to buy one and post the specs all over the world, even in the tabloids, I can see the headings
" UNIDENTIFIED CAM NO LONGER SO" Or
"GIVE LOU A BREAK, IT'S OUT'

Old 07-19-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

LOL If you think he is there only because of the LG cam you really need to get to the track more

BTW I am NOT dissing the cam. I think it is a great grind. It just isn't a radical grind or an extreme departure from a normal small block cam
im just giving you a hard time cause I can
Old 07-19-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Ironic how you have "free mods" posted, and nobody is freaking out about it.

I'm not going to get in on a cam discussion, but as far as business goes, the seller will ALWAYS try to make the most money, and the buyer will ALWAYS try to pay the least money. This is how business has always been, and will always be.

If I had a business of making an intake with three straws and some duct tape that I sold for $150 that outperformed every other intake on the market, how long do you think it would take before somebody said "hey, I can take duct tape and straws and do this for $.30!" Are you honestly going to tell somebody to purchase my intake for $150, or tell them they shouldn't be trying to figure out how I built it?

Get a grip, fellas. If it's something that can be copied and sold cheaper, it will be done. That's business.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by apathy
Ironic how you have "free mods" posted, and nobody is freaking out about it.

I'm not going to get in on a cam discussion, but as far as business goes, the seller will ALWAYS try to make the most money, and the buyer will ALWAYS try to pay the least money. This is how business has always been, and will always be.

If I had a business of making an intake with three straws and some duct tape that I sold for $150 that outperformed every other intake on the market, how long do you think it would take before somebody said "hey, I can take duct tape and straws and do this for $.30!" Are you honestly going to tell somebody to purchase my intake for $150, or tell them they shouldn't be trying to figure out how I built it?

Get a grip, fellas. If it's something that can be copied and sold cheaper, it will be done. That's business.
its unfortunate that our world has come to that... where someone will drive hundreds of miles, or do hours of fabrication just to save a few bucks... However while I get many of those customers I usually end up making more AFTER the fact because they tried to either do the install themselves to save money, so I charged more to redo it, or they bought a cheaper product to save and ended up having to buy the better product AND the cheaper product...

You get what you pay for and in this case its an awesome cam and the worlds best customer service... id hate to be the one kicking myself in the *** because I copied his cam and something was slightly off which caused either less power, or worst of all something bad to happen to the engine... just me though I Guess
Old 07-19-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
its unfortunate that our world has come to that... where someone will drive hundreds of miles, or do hours of fabrication just to save a few bucks... However while I get many of those customers I usually end up making more AFTER the fact because they tried to either do the install themselves to save money, so I charged more to redo it, or they bought a cheaper product to save and ended up having to buy the better product AND the cheaper product...

You get what you pay for and in this case its an awesome cam and the worlds best customer service... id hate to be the one kicking myself in the *** because I copied his cam and something was slightly off which caused either less power, or worst of all something bad to happen to the engine... just me though I Guess
Yep. Obviously he has a great reputation, so it will take a while for any clone cam to get the respect he's earned. It all works out in the end.

And if you drove hundreds of miles to save a few bucks, I think you wasted some gas.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by apathy
Yep. Obviously he has a great reputation, so it will take a while for any clone cam to get the respect he's earned. It all works out in the end.

And if you drove hundreds of miles to save a few bucks, I think you wasted some gas.
Yes... but the look on peoples faces when they come back to tell you were right and they were wrong is priceless
Old 07-19-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Reading all this BS, I'm almost tempted to buy one and post the specs all over the world, even in the tabloids, I can see the headings
" UNIDENTIFIED CAM NO LONGER SO" Or
"GIVE LOU A BREAK, IT'S OUT'

I will half the cost with you!
Old 07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

hydfixer Clean out your pm box, I can not send you a pm your box is full.

Your total is $210
Old 07-27-2004, 08:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SSOnYourSix... you've got a PM...
Old 07-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Lou keeps them secret because it's an excellent marketing strategy. He picks up a custom ground Comp Cam that he's tried that works. Then he keeps the specs secret so when the LS1/6 community realizes this thing puts out good numbers and is driveable, everyone will go into a stink about the hidden specs. Thus, he's just generated a huge name for himself, by simply keeping his "superb cam technology" under wraps from the larger community...and everyone turns him into David Copperfield. He laughs all the way to the bank.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok..let me resolve a few issues.Lots of people know who I am..if you don't..please find out through other means.
1. it's true lou's cams are off the shelf lobes, he has none that are propritary.If they were then nobody could copy the exact lobe specs and profile. All you have to have are the lobe numbers.
2.You can't get an LS-1 core for less than $100..employee cost is more than that
3. no LS-1 cam is done on a CNC grinder..99%of all cams are done on old manual grinders..its the expirence that the grinder has that makes it good. All NASCAR cams are ground this way.
4.Regrinds..there is no welding involved in a regrind.Comp can do a regrind on any cam for $115. You can only go so far in either direction(bigger or smaller), depending on the base circle. The lobe seperation has to stay the same.

any other questions?

Thanks,
Brian

Quick Reply: spes on a g5X2 and G5X3