Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spes on a g5X2 and G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just saying its a 228/230 cam or whatever it is wont alow someone to copy it. as im sure most know, theres way more to a cam than 2 numbers, lg should atleast put up them 2 numbers. and if someone wants to copy it all they have to do is buy one and slap it on a cam doctor.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire
and yet you dont understand why LG wont give his stats away?

like you, supposedly,
LG worked hard to research and develop the numbers for this cam
after working "too damn hard" for this cam,
why should they give the stats, and his money, away?

How does thunder racing GIVE their stats away and still sell a bunch of cams?
Because alot of people like to know what they are buying.

I would of brought a X3 instead of a trex if I knew the specs so i guess they are giving money away, they just lost a cam, spring, retainer,push rods,comp r lifters,head gaskets,comp rocker armsand arp stud kit sale to their competator about 2,800.00. Why should they give their specs away da!!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:09 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire
and yet you dont understand why LG wont give his stats away?

like you, supposedly,
LG worked hard to research and develop the numbers for this cam
after working "too damn hard" for this cam,
why should they give the stats, and his money, away?

Some people just don't get it. I would love to see if it was them who spent the time making the cam. Only for other people to copy it and make the profit off of his work! It's really not hard to figure out.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I said it before,
Knowing your cam specs is essential, because a cam is part of an entire plathera of parts to make a good efficient set up.
also to know the limitations of your engine and not destroy it in the process because one of your parts cannot handle the other.
On a previous thread, I had mentionned that if another LG competitor really wanted to copy all they have to do is buy one and copy. it's that simple. The other major and renown companies have to much pride, integrity and identity to do such a thing.
I spend over a month choosing my H/C and based my decision on data gathered such as cam specs, head specs etc.............
IMO this is on LG part.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Launching!

How many times have you seen Cartek post their exact cam specs on their fastest cars? However, the only shop that gets bashed for it is LG...hmmm.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamM
How many times have you seen Cartek post their exact cam specs on their fastest cars? However, the only shop that gets bashed for it is LG...hmmm.
It still goes back to Thunder racing and a bunch of other vendors list their grind specs, they had to pay for R&D and the cam to be ground and I don"t see any differance, seems to me if they gave their specs they would widen their customer base and sell more cams. It looks like LG lost sales to several people on this post. Like I said eariler I spent 2800.00 with their competitor and I am also going to buy my 1800. Exedy clutch from their competitor, Its their busines I guess they can losse money if they want. But I always thought people were in busines to make money, guess i'm wrong on that to.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

this entire thread is some funny stuff. if you don't want the cam without the specs, don't buy it. simple as that. no need to go bitching about it all over the forums.

Originally Posted by hydfixer
It still goes back to Thunder racing and a bunch of other vendors list their grind specs, they had to pay for R&D and the cam to be ground and I don"t see any differance, seems to me if they gave their specs they would widen their customer base and sell more cams. It looks like LG lost sales to several people on this post. Like I said eariler I spent 2800.00 with their competitor and I am also going to buy my 1800. Exedy clutch from their competitor, Its their busines I guess they can losse money if they want. But I always thought people were in busines to make money, guess i'm wrong on that to.
evidently you've never been down to LG. i think they're doing pretty well for themselves.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Thunder and ask them for the valve events of the T-Rex and see what they say.... Everyone know who makes LGs cams so if you knew the specs, it wouldnt be hard to copy... Thunders cam is completely custom and you cant just call a cam manufacturer and order or a xxx/xxx cam because the VEs are custom designed.

Its been said 100000000 times, if it bothers you that much, then dont buy it and quit bitching about it. Its that simple.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KGSloan
this entire thread is some funny stuff. if you don't want the cam without the specs, don't buy it. simple as that. no need to go bitching about it all over the forums.

evidently you've never been down to LG. i think they're doing pretty well for themselves.
I'm not bitching all I wanted was specs so I could make a decision on what cam to buy, every one eles is. I didn't buy the cam I brought a trex, and a **** load of other parts that I would have gotten from LG.
And since LG is doing so good than why is every one crying about them not making any money if they give out the specs.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Releasing the max lift and/or the duration of the camshaft would not give it away. Valve events are also very important when making a camshaft and calculating P/V clearances. So why hide the lift and duration?

I think this thread answers the question. At least once a week there is a new "G5X2/G5X3" thread. Reguardless of whether people agree or disagree with Lou's decision not to release specs, he sure gets a **** load of publicity every time someone argues about it.

I'm sure if someone was serious about buying the camshaft Lou would give you the exact specs before you bought it, that way you knew you weren't risking any serious damage to your motor. So what if he releases the lift and duration, it might be close, but you'd still have to call to make sure it would work with your particular set up. When it comes to building a custom valve train or forged bottom end, close isn't good enough.

If you're curious JUST CALL THE MAN and put it all to rest.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
Releasing the max lift and/or the duration of the camshaft would not give it away. Valve events are also very important when making a camshaft and calculating P/V clearances. So why hide the lift and duration?

I think this thread answers the question. At least once a week there is a new "G5X2/G5X3" thread. Reguardless of whether people agree or disagree with Lou's decision not to release specs, he sure gets a **** load of publicity every time someone argues about it.

I'm sure if someone was serious about buying the camshaft Lou would give you the exact specs before you bought it, that way you knew you weren't risking any serious damage to your motor. So what if he releases the lift and duration, it might be close, but you'd still have to call to make sure it would work with your particular set up. When it comes to building a custom valve train or forged bottom end, close isn't good enough.

If you're curious JUST CALL THE MAN and put it all to rest.
Well put . Thank you
Old 07-15-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

You can buy a S.B. chev cam for around a 100 to 200 bucks, about the same size for raw material, same time to grind AND some one did the R&D.
You dont know what you're talking about. Billet steel, rifle drilled blanks are not cheap and you cant buy a cam like that for any engine for $100-200. I'd be suprised if you can find a roller cam for any engine for $100.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:18 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are no Ls1 cores for $100 or $200... Call Comp and ask how much a custom ls1 cam costs...
Old 07-15-2004, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
You dont know what you're talking about. Billet steel, rifle drilled blanks are not cheap and you cant buy a cam like that for any engine for $100-200. I'd be suprised if you can find a roller cam for any engine for $100.
The market price is 76 cents per inch for 4140 heat treated bar stock and to have them gun drilled on a cnc 100pcs at a time 17.50 each so we are talking about 45.00 for a cam blank cost. The 78 cents per inch is based on buying 4ea 20' sticks of 4140 anelled at 213lbs a stick @ 88 cents per pound. (alloy steel is sold by the pound) and I am sure that comp cams gets a better price on steel than my company does.

This is fun I am not dissen LG they have a damn good product and I have spent a lot of money with them with no regrets. I just want specs so I don't end up with 8 bent exhust valves again.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by J-Rod
There are no Ls1 cores for $100 or $200... Call Comp and ask how much a custom ls1 cam costs...
You didn't think comp would sell a cam to a end user cheaper then a vender buying a cam from them did you
Old 07-15-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

You didn't think comp would sell a cam to a end user cheaper then a vender buying a cam from them did you
I'm pretty sure they're around $300 wholesale.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

The market price is 76 cents per inch for 4140 heat treated bar stock and to have them gun drilled on a cnc 100pcs at a time 17.50 each so we are talking about 45.00 for a cam blank cost. The 78 cents per inch is based on buying 4ea 20' sticks of 4140 anelled at 213lbs a stick @ 88 cents per pound. (alloy steel is sold by the pound) and I am sure that comp cams gets a better price on steel than my company does.
Its not as simple as cutting up bar stock, back in '98 there were no new cam cores available for LS1's. People were buying expensive regrinds.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Some people just don't get it. I would love to see if it was them who spent the time making the cam. Only for other people to copy it and make the profit off of his work! It's really not hard to figure out.
No offense to LG but the lobes are off the shelf grinds.

The specs (I know both specs) are very close to what many vendors have used for 4 years.

There is nothing magical about them except they are good cams that work.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 385
No offense to LG but the lobes are off the shelf grinds.

The specs (I know both specs) are very close to what many vendors have used for 4 years.

There is nothing magical about them except they are good cams that work.
I guess since they are off the shelf grids I would not give out the specs either. So much for the costly R&D some one already paid it.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Ever looked at a lobe catalog? You still have to figure out which ones will work for you and what IVO and EVO you want.

Just because the lobes are out of the book doesnt mean Comp was already grinding the cam and stocking them on shelves.

I agree with Chris, there's nothing magical its just a good cam.

Quick Reply: spes on a g5X2 and G5X3