Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickflow 215’s and boost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trickflow 215’s and boost?

Hey guys, I recently picked up an f-body with these heads. I will be taking them off the block next week to inspect them (cc size) as I don’t know if they are as cast or have been worked. My assumption is they are as cast, and I was wondering since I am new to LS engines...how are these heads with boost? Am I better of selling them? Planning on going iron ls1 turbo by summer...

I cant seem to find any builds with these heads and forced induction. If there is something in the search that I missed, a link would be awesome. TIA
Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jizzo09
Hey guys, I recently picked up an f-body with these heads. I will be taking them off the block next week to inspect them (cc size) as I don’t know if they are as cast or have been worked. My assumption is they are as cast, and I was wondering since I am new to LS engines...how are these heads with boost? Am I better of selling them? Planning on going iron ls1 turbo by summer...

I cant seem to find any builds with these heads and forced induction. If there is something in the search that I missed, a link would be awesome. TIA
Both the TFS full CNC’d or “as cast” will work great with boost. Great heads. Only reason you dont see more of them w/ boost is the cost effectiveness of factory stuff IMO.( i.e factory heads w/ some porting will make stupid power too).
Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlostheBarbarian

Both the TFS full CNC’d or “as cast” will work great with boost. Great heads. Only reason you dont see more of them w/ boost is the cost effectiveness of factory stuff IMO.( i.e factory heads w/ some porting will make stupid power too).
the reason you don't see a lot of head changes with boost is exactly that: FORCED INDUCTION. trick flow and other aftermarkets have a thicker deck, which would only work better with boost IE: stronger.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cmysix
the reason you don't see a lot of head changes with boost is exactly that: FORCED INDUCTION. trick flow and other aftermarkets have a thicker deck, which would only work better with boost IE: stronger.
Not sure what your getting at based on those busted couple of sentences but sure I agree about the thicker deck?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Jizzo09

You could always get a good idea of your dynamic compression based on cranking compression. Do a compression test. If it's over 200 pull the heads and measure and see what you need to do. If it's 150 or so you're boost ready at lowish compression. 150-200.. up to you. I personally like compression on the higher side even with boost. Some don't.

This is not a scientific test or accurate. But it gives you a decent idea of where you're at. Honestly it is best to pull it apart like you mentioned, but if you just want an idea, a compression check will give you some info.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CarlostheBarbarian

Not sure what your getting at based on those busted couple of sentences but sure I agree about the thicker deck?
I guess if you don't know what forced induction is you wouldn't understand. if your forcing air into the cylinder under pressure port design and porting and things like that take a back seat because your over coming any flow issues by forcing it in there, Had I put a blower on my LS2 I would have NEVER bought the trick flows heads I have on it now, I'd have just left the 243's on. did you understand that?
Old 03-06-2019, 11:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by cmysix
I guess if you don't know what forced induction is you wouldn't understand. if your forcing air into the cylinder under pressure port design and porting and things like that take a back seat because your over coming any flow issues by forcing it in there, Had I put a blower on my LS2 I would have NEVER bought the trick flows heads I have on it now, I'd have just left the 243's on. did you understand that?
He's pointing out the fact that you said you don't see them with boost because of forced induction, and then said that the heads only work good with boost because they're stronger.
You can't advocate against them, and then for them, and then against them again in a reply, and then wonder why people aren't sure what you mean.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,243 Likes on 669 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What you see on your boost gauge is just a measure of restriction. Free flowing heads make more HP even when the pulley isn’t changed and boost at the gauge.appears lower. Compressing air creates heat. Why do that if you don’t have to? Then the structural ridigidity to prevent blowing head gaskets is yet another reason to go with Tfs 220.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeNova
He's pointing out the fact that you said you don't see them with boost because of forced induction, and then said that the heads only work good with boost because they're stronger.
You can't advocate against them, and then for them, and then against them again in a reply, and then wonder why people aren't sure what you mean.
I didn't say don't use them, he's got some nice after market heads why not use them? but I understood him as asking if he needed to use them, and to that I said no, because your forcing air into the engine under pressure so you can get away with say a stock head.