Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 heads/ws6 store hot cam/fast 92mm intake and TB

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6

you want something like this with a cutout towards the back before the rearend, you can see the flowmaster merge at the top of the pic
so the merge turns into 1 or keeps going double?
would like to see the whole set up if possible..
Old 03-15-2019, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 392killaWs6

so the merge turns into 1 or keeps going double?
would like to see the whole set up if possible..
its dual into one. just a picture i found. best i could do lol but then it goes into a single pipe where you would then install the cutout.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

its dual into one. just a picture i found. best i could do lol but then it goes into a single pipe where you would then install the cutout.

ok, I see it. Will the size still be 2.5 Bc I’m still keeping the cats..
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, I see it. Will the size still be 2.5 Bc I’m still keeping the cats..
im not sure. i know they make a few diff sizes so you just need to see which one works best for you. they even have high flow cats as well if you wish to swap them out. i live in FL so we dont run cats so i cant say whether they are better or not. you would have to ask someone else about that.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

im not sure. i know they make a few diff sizes so you just need to see which one works best for you. they even have high flow cats as well if you wish to swap them out. i live in FL so we dont run cats so i cant say whether they are better or not. you would have to ask someone else about that.
so I found the merger, it’s 2.5-3. So the custom y pipes will still be 2.5, won’t it still be the same as what I have now?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

so I found the merger, it’s 2.5-3. So the custom y pipes will still be 2.5, won’t it still be the same as what I have now?
no. its in the merge that problem is made with ypipes. dragging the dual part farther back (like in the picture) and enlarging the merge area with a smooth transaction makes all the diff. this add that with a cutout and better catback and it be as best as you can get and still keeping your needs with cali rules OR going with a true dual setup.

this is something that needs to be done now and will show its face even more so with a bigger cam. still more to be had in this car and dont forget your numbers are done on mustang dyno. they read lower. so when comparing to others numbers make sure you take that into account.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think your screwed for making power if you have to stick to California's BS. The fact that you made over 400HP with the exhaust constraints you have tells me your WOT tune is spot on. If it drives good, the tuner did a great job with the rest of it. A tune DOESN'T make power it simply allows the motor to get the correct A/F and timing. He probably didn't take long with your tune because he probably had a close example to work from. Tuning heads cam drive by cable cars isn't exactly rocket science.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

You have a dyno graph? That's DAMN impressive.
Email me the info ill post it up on our fb page and website!!
Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

Drivability issues cant be fixed on the dyno, so maybe either talk to him and see whats up or find another guy to spend the time.

Our high lift hot cam is not aggressive at all though.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with what cody said and why a bigger cam isnt the route id take. refine what you have now and make more power or leave it. your already leaving power on the table as is. a bigger cam isnt going to fix that.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

Drivability issues cant be fixed on the dyno, so maybe either talk to him and see whats up or find another guy to spend the time.

I don’t becuase his printer wasn’t working. And, I forgot to take a picture and videos. It’s my first build so I was too excited I didn’t even get my phone out the door from my car.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

Am looking into a retune so will definitely capture that..
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

Makes me even more stoked to get mine in now. Granted I dont have a FAST or heads but, still.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by codyvette
I think your screwed for making power if you have to stick to California's BS. The fact that you made over 400HP with the exhaust constraints you have tells me your WOT tune is spot on. If it drives good, the tuner did a great job with the rest of it. A tune DOESN'T make power it simply allows the motor to get the correct A/F and timing. He probably didn't take long with your tune because he probably had a close example to work from. Tuning heads cam drive by cable cars isn't exactly rocket science.
Yea I guess I should’ve been ready for the exhaust dilemma. The drivability is amazing. Like I said I’m probably paranoid because of his attitude. Will refine exhaust. Will go the custom y pipes with cut out.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com

the drivability is awesome. I guess I am just paranoid bc of his attitude.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Yea I guess I should’ve been ready for the exhaust dilemma. The drivability is amazing. Like I said I’m probably paranoid because of his attitude. Will refine exhaust. Will go the custom y pipes with cut out.

You REALLY should consider the hooker black heart cat back. It will flow more than any y pipe and sound better. It's dual 2.5" and not loud. It'll make more power, be less raspy, fit perfect on your car since you already have the blackheart manifolds. And it's quiet enough to keep you out of trouble. Cutouts work but why upgrade exhaust and have a cutout. It's overlapping and wasteful. Plus when you want power it's gonna be extremely loud.

You woke up wanting more cam.... lets dial that in. What exactly do you want? More power? More chop? You'll lose some driveability with a larger cam, and if you don't change the exhaust there isn't much point in upping the cam. You're also talking a whole lot of money and time for a cam swap vs about the same money or less for the exhaust, will gain the same or more power, and you need to upgrade anyway if you want a bigger cam. So do exhaust first and see if you're happy. If you do a Y pipe the only way to go is the flowmaster dual 3" to single 4", so you'll need a 4" cutout or 4" exhuaust. The black heart keeps sounding better and better. The speed engineering true duals and texas speed are nice too for about 500-600 dollars but super loud. Again, black heart sounds better (my opinion obviously) and will work with your current setup (not opinion and important when figuring costs)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Found some vids of the blackheart. Now I'm really thinking it's the ticket for you. It's quiet enough to keep you out of trouble, fits and sounds great and you already have the hooker mids so it makes the most sense to me for your car and being in california. There may be something else out there but for your restraints I don't know of anything.

It's pretty quiet and low throttle but gets loud enough to make you happy when you stand on it.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Found some vids of the blackheart. Now I'm really thinking it's the ticket for you. It's quiet enough to keep you out of trouble, fits and sounds great and you already have the hooker mids so it makes the most sense to me for your car and being in california. There may be something else out there but for your restraints I don't know of anything.

It's pretty quiet and low throttle but gets loud enough to make you happy when you stand on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AkpoB8eTA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT_Q6iixTRM
I had not seen this option. I just saw it, what’s the difference between the 304 and 409?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I had not seen this option. I just saw it, what’s the difference between the 304 and 409?

Not enough to be concerned with in my opinion because even the lower end 409 stainless is far better than the OE piping. And down here the factory exhaust generally out lasts the car. The 304 will last a bit longer but if you're in an area where it lasts a long time anyway or keeping the car put away it's not a concern.

I also made a post above the videos you may want to address.

Do they actually offer two different exhausts, one in each type of stainless?? If so that's pretty odd. I'd go for the cheaper myself if that's the case.

https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...nless-steel%3F
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Many exhaust systems use a combination of stainless steel 304 (more expensive) and 409 (less expensive) to keep the cost of the system down.

The 304 stainless steel is typically the shiny stainless that is visible on the car like the mufflers and exhaust tips.

304 BlackHeart stainless steel exhaust tip

The 409 stainless steel is usually dull with little shine. Y pipes, X pipes, mid pipes, over the axle pipe - exhaust that's not visible unless your under the car is often made with the dull 409 stainless steel.

SLP Dual/Dual, muffler is 409 stainless, over axle exhaust pipe is 409 stainless.

~20 year old SLP D/D 409 SS - and ready for another car

Both materials 304 & 409 are very durable.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 03-15-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Many exhaust systems use a combination of stainless steel 304 (more expensive) and 409 (less expensive) to keep the cost of the system down.

The 304 stainless steel is typically the shiny stainless that is visible on the car like the mufflers and exhaust tips.

304 BlackHeart stainless steel exhaust tip

The 409 stainless steel is usually dull with little shine. Y pipes, X pipes, mid pipes, over the axle pipe - exhaust that's not visible unless your under the car is often made with the dull 409 stainless steel.

SLP Dual/Dual, muffler is 409 stainless, over axle exhaust pipe is 409 stainless.

~20 year old SLP D/D 409 SS - and ready for another car

Both materials 304 & 409 are very durable.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
I will do the exhaust and a retune, and will keep it that way until it starts hitting 80k-90k miles then will do a bigger cam swap..