Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lifters

I'm thinking about throwing some Summit 1.8 roller rockers on my stock (internal) LS1, along with hardened pushrods. (Has LG LTs, Callaway Honer CAI & 93 oct tune).

Should I replace the lifters? If so, with what? Johnson short travel?

If I do that, how much additional teardown would be involved; just R&R the intake?

Would I have to measure for pushrod length for *any* change in lifter (I'm assuming it's a given with the Johnson short travel)?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
I'm thinking about throwing some Summit 1.8 roller rockers on my stock (internal) LS1, along with hardened pushrods. (Has LG LTs, Callaway Honer CAI & 93 oct tune).
Why? The only reason to use a roller ROCKER is with a high lift cam to take the side load off the valve stem. For a stock cam, it's a complete waste of time and money.

Last edited by .boB; 03-17-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by .boB
Why? The only reason to use a roller ROCKER is with a high lift cam to take the side load off the valve stem. For a stock cam, it's a complete waste of time and money.
You actually meant this, right??
Old 03-17-2019, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by .boB
Why? The only reason to use a roller lifter is with a high lift cam to take the side load off the valve stem. For a stock cam, it's a complete waste of time and money.
I'm not aware of factory LS1 1.8 ratio rockers.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

​​​​To replace the roller lifters on any factory LS motor the cylinder heads have to come off of the engine. The LS isn't like a small block Chevy of yesteryear where pulling the intake gave access to the lifters. If the original LS1 lifters are in good shape and not giving issues they should be OK.

The Johnson 2110 are a great lifter from what I've read. If you do lifters also replace the lifter trays with the newer LS2 style lifter tray.

​​​​​​Always a good ideal to measure for push rod length.

If you do 1.8 roller rockers, the factory valve springs which are barely adequate for the stock cam will need to be replaced. You will need a set of quality valve springs that can handle the extra weight on the nose of the 1.8 roller rocker.

Note some popular valve springs kits like the BTR Platinum .660 valve springs specifically say not for roller rockers. That heavier roller nose changes a lot of things with the valve train.

​​​​​​

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 03-17-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You actually meant this, right??
Uhhh, yes. Thanx.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Original LS1 lifters are roller lifters. No need to replace unless they are making noise.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
​​​​To replace the roller lifters on any factory LS motor the cylinder heads have to come off of the engine. The LS isn't like a small block Chevy of yesteryear where pulling the intake gave access to the lifters. If the original LS1 lifters are in good shape and not giving issues they should be OK.

The Johnson 2110 are a great lifter from what I've read. If you do lifters also replace the lifter trays with the newer LS2 style lifter tray.

​​​​​​Always a good ideal to measure for push rod length.

If you do 1.8 roller rockers, the factory valve springs which are barely adequate for the stock cam will need to be replaced. You will need a set of quality valve springs that can handle the extra weight on the nose of the 1.8 roller rocker.

Note some popular valve springs kits like the BTR Platinum .660 valve springs specifically say not for roller rockers. That heavier roller nose changes a lot of things with the valve train.

​​​​​​
Good call out, thanks. That didn't occur to me. This doesn't look like a cost effective upgrade after all.