Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating Assembly Balancing crank gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating Assembly Balancing crank gear

When having a rotating assembly balanced do I need the crank gear installed? I do not currently have one I need to know if I should buy one and install it before I take my stuff to the machine shop. I have read that the engine is internally balanced and I do not need the harmonic balance or the flywheel.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have never heard of anyone balancing with the crank gear on, although I suppose it couldn't hurt.

However, I have ALWAYS been instructed by the machine shop to bring the harmonic balancer and flywheel/ flexplate for the balance.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by The Outlaw Kid
When having a rotating assembly balanced do I need the crank gear installed? I do not currently have one I need to know if I should buy one and install it before I take my stuff to the machine shop. I have read that the engine is internally balanced and I do not need the harmonic balance or the flywheel.
No, don't bother. The crank gear is such a small diameter, it really won't have much affect. The crank should not be balanced with the flywheel and balancer, however, you can balance them independent of the crank if you wish.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
No, don't bother. The crank gear is such a small diameter, it really won't have much affect. The crank should not be balanced with the flywheel and balancer, however, you can balance them independent of the crank if you wish.
that what I was wondering. I’ll be making more power than id like to put at a stock flywheel and don’t have the funds yet. I was thinking that when people swap to a better flywheel or balancer they don’t rebalance the crank
Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
I have never heard of anyone balancing with the crank gear on, although I suppose it couldn't hurt.

However, I have ALWAYS been instructed by the machine shop to bring the harmonic balancer and flywheel/ flexplate for the balance.
did they say if they make a difference. My machine shop said they could if I wanted to but it doesn’t make much of a difference with an internally balanced engine. They’re a very reputable shop so I’ll trust their word. Was just curious what other are doing.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,523 Posts

LS engines are internally balanced engines. The flywheel/flexplate and harmonic balancer are not needed to balance LS rotating assemblies.