Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Initial Break In Problem ** HELP **

Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Initial Break In Problem ** HELP **

New here, so if this has already been covered I’m sorry. I couldn’t find anything related to my question.
So here’s the deal. I’ve been getting this LS6 rebuilt and put together for the past couple of months, and I’m finally about to bolt the transmission on and put all back in a fire it up. The problem is I filled up the engine with Royal Purple synthetic 5w-30 initially by the drivers side oil galley plug with a drill pump, ocassionally turning it over to get oil all in the pump. I got about 6 quarts in then plugged it off and didn’t think anything else about it. I got to reading today about break in procedures and read that you cannot use synthetic oil during break in. So what do I do now? Do I drain the oil then put in some cheap conventional oil and a new filter? And if I do that, will the synthetic oil leftover in the engine still cause some ring seating issues??
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Nothing? I really need to know what to do as I was planning on reinstalling the engine today
Old 03-15-2019, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

did a few searches and came up with these results. worth the read:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...reak-time.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ine-break.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rocedures.html
the overall consensus is using conventional over synthetic or break-in oil.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd dump the Royal Purple out, and put in a dedicated break-in oil. The synthetic base oil isn't as big of an issue as it's made out to be. (especially since RP is just a hydroisomerized group III crude base oil anyway) The problem is the additive package.

1. Royal Purple contains 2,500+ ppm blend of overbased calcium and magnesium detergents. You don't want high amounts of detergents during break-in since they negatively interfere with ring seating. They're trying to mop up carbon deposits from the ring lands that hasn't formed yet. Dedicated break-in oils have less than 500 ppm of detergent which is really just enough to neutralize some slight fuel dilution if the AFR isn't right on the first startup.

2. Royal Purple uses the wrong type of ZDDP for break-in. RP uses a blend of ZDDP with both primary and secondary alkyl groups making it balanced for wear protection and oxidation inhibition for street conditions. We aren't concerned with oxidation inhibition on a new engine. We want the maximum wear protection possible. Dedicated break-in oils use ZDDP with short-chained secondary (high carbon) alkyl groups which activates with very little heat and pressure, making it ideal for protecting a fresh engine on the first startup.

3. Royal Purple contains a decent bit of molybdenum friction modifier. You absolutely want to avoid friction modifiers during break-in. Their job is to provide a sheet of low drag oil film for the rings and bearings to ride on, reducing friction, and freeing up power. This is the exact opposite of what you want during break-in. You need some friction between parts in order for them to find uniformity.

4. Royal Purple contains trace amounts (2-4%) of esters, particularly polyol ester. You want to avoid these during break-in for the same reason as the friction modifiers. Esters are highly polar and will cling to parts, bolstering the oil film, but hurting break-in.

If it was me, I'd dump out the RP into a clean container or gallon jugs to use later. Acquire some dedicated break-in oil. I prefer Driven BR30, but Amsoil and Lucas break-in oil will work well also.

If you cannot find any dedicated break-in oil locally and absolutely can't wait to have it shipped in, then I'd find a couple gallons of Rotella T1 straight 30 grade and a bottle of Lucas ZDDP break-in additive. It's still far from ideal due to the additive package of Rotella, but it's better than the alternative.

Comparison of additive packages... (all specs are in parts per million)

Additive......Royal Purple 5w-30......Driven BR30

Calcium..................3150............480
Magnesium.............15................0
Phosphorus............1100............2400
Zinc.........................1250...........2850
Molybdenum...........110..............0
Boron.......................20...............0
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is a good idea to drain the oil after about 1 minute of the initial fire, I use cheap non detergent oil, then again after a few more minutes, then cut open the filter, not with a sawzall,
I use wire cutters and just clip off the top, some work involved but you don't introduce any foreign material you have to be confused with, then put in some good oil and drive it around
after 10 or 20 miles take that filter off and cut it open, if all good, new filter and top off oil and enjoy all the money you just spent. Thats just what I do, most probably
don't want to spend the extra money.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:50 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the replies. I read those links and came up with the break in procedure I’m gonna do. As for the RP in the engine, I was worried that it would’ve maybe left some film on the cylinder wall even after I drained it out. But since you all didn’t mention that, I guess I’m just over thinking 😂 I am on a very tight budget and leaving for boot camp in 2 weeks so time is limited too. I went and got enough cheap oil and filters for two oil changes, then I guess I’ll put the RP back in with the K&N filter that’s on it right now. Does that sound like a good plan ?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,118 Likes on 616 Posts

Yes, just save the oil and use it later. Generally we wouldn't recommend synthetic for the first about 2500 miles. In a race engine, a blow by meter is used and when it stabilizes, it tells you everything is seated and ready for synthetic.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Teching In

So you’re saying that I should run the conventional oil for more than just the first 2 oil changes, probably the 4th or 5th change I can put the RP back in?

Originally Posted by Summitracing
Yes, just save the oil and use it later. Generally we wouldn't recommend synthetic for the first about 2500 miles. In a race engine, a blow by meter is used and when it stabilizes, it tells you everything is seated and ready for synthetic.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,118 Likes on 616 Posts

In a street car, we recommend your your first oil change at 500 miles. Run that to 2500 and then it's ok to go synthetic. We also recommend cutting the filter open at 100 miles and inspecting the pleats...just replace the filter then.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Ive read quite a few things about doing the first oil change way earlier than that, and I bought enough oil for 2 changes so I’ll do one at say 50 miles then 500 I guess

Originally Posted by Summitracing
In a street car, we recommend your your first oil change at 500 miles. Run that to 2500 and then it's ok to go synthetic. We also recommend cutting the filter open at 100 miles and inspecting the pleats...just replace the filter then.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Launching!

I don't bother with mileage with my engines. I break them in fast and hard. I don't let it idle, and I don't baby it. If the engine is running, the rpm is up and under a load. Like a new baseball glove, I like to beat the snot out of it to break it in.

Before 30 minutes run time, I'm already at WOT redline pulls and tuning. I dump the break-in oil after tuning and inspect the oil and filter. If all is well, I pour in the oil of choice and send it. The break-in is done.

I don't wait any certain mileage or time to run synthetic after that. Once break-in is done, it's good to go. One engine I did was run-in hard and tuned by 25 minutes. I then dumped the break-in oil and put in a 0w-10 PAO/POE synthetic. Three seasons and still has under 2% leakdown.

Last edited by Polyalphaolefin; 03-16-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the advice. I’m not gonna have the money to get it tuned until I get out of boot camp. Any advice there?

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
I don't bother with mileage with my engines. I break them in fast and hard. I don't let it idle, and I don't baby it. If the engine is running, the rpm is up and under a load. Like a new baseball glove, I like to beat the snot out of it to break it in.

Before 30 minutes run time, I'm already at WOT redline pulls and tuning. I dump the break-in oil after tuning and inspect the oil and filter. If all is well, I pour in the oil of choice and send it. The break-in is done.

I don't wait any certain mileage or time to run synthetic after that. Once break-in is done, it's good to go. One engine I did was run-in hard and tuned by 25 minutes. I then dumped the break-in oil and put in a 0w-10 PAO/POE synthetic. Three seasons and still has under 2% leakdown.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dylanbg20
Thank you for the advice. I’m not gonna have the money to get it tuned until I get out of boot camp. Any advice there?

I'd put the break-in on hold until you get back. Keep the engine on a stand, fog it, and wrap it. It'll be there when you get back. That's what I'd do.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned, drain & save the RP.

Add breakin oil and briefly turn it over and run for about a minute (also as previously mentioned).
Drain and discard the breakin oil.

Refill with more breakin oil and proceed with your breakin procedures.

PM me your physical address and I'll send you a
case of breakin oil case of breakin oil

Thank you for your service.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:43 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
As mentioned, drain & save the RP.

Add breakin oil and briefly turn it over and run for about a minute (also as previously mentioned).
Drain and discard the breakin oil.

Refill with more breakin oil and proceed with your breakin procedures.

PM me your physical address and I'll send you a case of breakin oil.

Thank you for your service.
That’s a standup thing to do. Well done sir!
Old 03-17-2019, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle

That’s a standup thing to do. Well done sir!
+1 ! Hear, hear!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Run some decent oil to start like everyone said. I personally went with Valvoline VR1 10w30 for the first 2 oil cycles. I did the first at 75 miles per my builder and tuner's recommendation, then again at 500. I have regular Pennzoil in there now then will switch to a Mobil 1 at 2500ish.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks everybody for the help and guidance. I will leave it till I get back in early October and finish it up then the correct way. And special thanks to bigsapper for the break in oil! I appreciate it! If I can remember, when I get back and start it up I’ll get back on here and let everybody know how it went. Thanks!

Search this Thread