Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG CAMSHAFT VS SMALL CAMSHAFT: You won't believe the power difference!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think a much more interesting "test" would have been to change everything else on the car to make it work with the cam that was already in it, lol. Then you would have seen some gains!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That would be a good test. But I think his point was, someone put a Big cam in there without matching other important and expensive parts and the car ran just as it should have, like crap at low RPM's. Bucking, surging etc...

This was the fastest and cheapest fix to make the car run crisp and clean on the street. Oh, and it made more power in every way...

There's plenty of These types of cams in big build cars that make way more power, but apples and oranges. Oh, and Money
Old 04-10-2019, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I know I say this a lot, but here it goes again...combination, combination, combination.
I'll agree everytime cause it's what I preach. Keep saying it cause some still don't get it.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
That's why i look at things from a acceleration stand point vs power standpoint.
It's a better way to view it

Originally Posted by NEstyle
I think a much more interesting "test" would have been to change everything else on the car to make it work with the cam that was already in it, lol. Then you would have seen some gains!
Agreed, then swap in the small cam. Would lose power up top but may still run the same at the track (sometimes even better) since there may be more avg hp throughout the rev range.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,244 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I'll agree everytime cause it's what I preach. Keep saying it cause some still don't get it.

Agreed, then swap in the small cam. Would lose power up top but may still run the same at the track (sometimes even better) since there may be more avg hp throughout the rev range.
I agree with this. Sometimes more flexibility trumps higher HP #'s which don't "spread the wealth" throughout the RPM range.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, then swap in the small cam.
I was thinking that, too, just to illustrate that you can also under cam a car.

Would lose power up top but may still run the same at the track (sometimes even better) since there may be more avg hp throughout the rev range.
You think, even if every other aspect of the car was designed to work with the big cam? Gear, tire, heads, compression, intake manifold, TB, exhaust... everything. I guess we really don't know the specs of the big cam, so maybe it's not even worth talking about. I guess it's possible that it was just too big and never would have worked in that car, but I kind of doubt it.

Last edited by NEstyle; 04-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

You think, even if every other aspect of the car was designed to work with the big cam? Gear, tire, heads, compression, intake manifold, TB, exhaust... everything. I guess we really don't know the specs of the big cam, so maybe it's not even worth talking about. I guess it's possible that it was just too big and never would have worked in that car, but I kind of doubt it.
Yeah just depends on how big the big cam was. But even the biggest of big cams put up high peak numbers, but if way too big they will put up a big number but drive like ****, buck, have no low end for the launch etc. Too much to speculate about here though. I'm a fan of a mid sized well matched cam. Love the sound of the mega cam, but the mega cammed car is not the more fun car or the faster car, especially in a street or road race driving type scenario. At the drag strip with a 5k converter, the big cam may win, but it won't be by busses.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

The larger cam COULD be made to work better with different parts to coordinate better with it. HOWEVER, this is still a street-driven car, and too many compromises still have to be made to drive such a cam on the street. So, do you adapt the situation to a certain cam, OR get the right cam for the situation?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 466 Likes on 365 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm still going with the stock ls6 cam and making way more power than that thing with appropriate bolt ons.

A better question may be why does erryone think a bigger cam is super magical and instantly change out the oe cam?
Old 04-10-2019, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

A better question may be why does erryone think a bigger cam is super magical and instantly change out the oe cam?
Because they are gullible and believe their "knowledgeable" buddies AND internet "wisdom". Plus some cam grinders' very convincing advertising.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

This was the cam that was in the car; Vengeance Racing VINDICATOR Camshaft- 240/244 .605/.596 112+4. And the new Texas Speed cam is 225/235, don't know the rest of the specs.

Russ Kemp
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 466 Likes on 365 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Be nice to see some other results for that cam with a more appropriate set up around it.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm still going with the stock ls6 cam and making way more power than that thing with appropriate bolt ons.

There is a legitimate reason to ditch the stock cam, They make decent power but were also designed to help with emissions and fuel mileage, You can usually see bigger gains with an aftermarket cam and still have it drive relatively stock.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 864 Likes on 660 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I was at the road course last year. A guy had a C5 vette. I took a lot at it and realized it had a LS6 intake. After looking closer it was a Mallet Corvette. The car had a 240ish duration cam and it idled like ****. Back in the day, that was a 30K engine. People have found combos that work better.

A 240 duration cam needs rpm to make peak power and probably will make peak at 7000 or higher depending on the intake. For a street driven car, a 224-228 duration cam can rev past 6000 and still be easy to drive.

And low dyno numbers don't mean squat. It might be a stingy dyno. Some people brag about dyno numbers but some of the numbers I've seen are way overinflated.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Can someone please do a cliffnotes of the power difference and cam specs? My computer speakers died at the house, and if they worked I don't have the patience for a 25 minute video lol.

But I'll take a guess that it made 10-20 hp difference at over 6k roughly and the smaller cam drove better and they liked it more. Probably faster all around too since there was more average hp/tq.

I used to love racing dudes with cams with my bolt on car. Spanked a ton of them because everyone thought the biggest cam you could fit made the car the fastest.
That and the Vindicator needs more compression. That is the biggest issue here is loss of dynamic compression. Get the Compression up to 12.1, ported MSD, quality ported heads, valvetrain that will support 7500rpm, then the Vindicator would of killed it.

Big cam in a otherwise stock engine is a good way to go slower.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Because they are gullible and believe their "knowledgeable" buddies AND internet "wisdom". Plus some cam grinders' very convincing advertising.
truth to this. my brother has a MS4 and at the time it was one of the biggest and favorable at the time and his (continued) quote is 'go big or go home' mentality...
Old 04-12-2019, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What's really fucked up is my stock cammed ls6 made significantly more power than their cammed ls6. Telling me the car wasn't ready for a cam to begin with.....especially with a ls6 intake and a puny stock tb.

Great vid just very much sub par results.
yup this
Old 04-12-2019, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I was one of thee idiots back when i had my 2005 GTO. I put i donkey dick cam in and it was horrible vehicle to drive in any kind of stop and go. I am also sure the tune wasn't the greatest on top of it. It actually kept me from driving the car. I was so happy to get that cam out of the car. And just so you know the guy in the video Andrew is one of the best tuners around.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
And just so you know the guy in the video Andrew is one of the best tuners around.
That's funny...
Old 04-12-2019, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Exactly why I chose a Ws6store hot cam for my bolt on only car. The big cam route sucks, I've done it.

Cam advertising reminds me of pro golf players advertising 10 yards more with an off the shelf club that they would never really use. In the game of 10hp and driveability it's not worth it.

But the big thing was that torque gain vs the big cam, not hp. That was most impressive.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I like my big cam. Drives damn good