Sponsored by:

Need a little help with ls1 TF Gen X 515

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Need a little help with ls1 TF Gen X 515

Gents -

I've just completed an ls swap into my 1999 M3..... much to the disdain of the bimmer boyz.

The motor and trans is a dropout from a 2002 formula. It had 60k miles from fleabay.

I added the trick flow gen x 515 hp pkg which includes: tfs cam, tfs heads, 7.5 hardened pushrods, harland sharp rr's.
Also added summit double roller chain/gears, Long Tubes.
It has stock injectors, and the stock tune.

QUESTION -
it runs with the stock tune...... but pretty rough.
TFS says I need a tune for these mods.
It hunts idle... then settles down.... does not want to rev out very well...... and smells super rich.

For these bolt-ons, can you all confirm I need a tune?

Also, can I get a mail order tune from someone just to get on the road? I hate to spend $ on dyno time until I'm sure there are not mech issues with my motor, or my build.

Also noticed the harland sharp rr's and provided 7.5" pushrods make a pretty loud clatter. I've checked the vcover clearance, and relashed tq'd them a couple times...... the tq varies from valve to valve from 3/4 turn to 22ft-lbs.... to some @ 1.75 turns max for 1 or 2.

I have two new O2 sensors with bungs welded in just after the collectors.

thx for any help.

Jeff San Antonio.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,298 Posts

You need a full tune in a BAD way, surprised it even idles.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are considered "bolt-ons?"
I too can't believe it's even staying idling. You NEED a tune. I wouldn't go mail order. Buy once, cry once. Trailer her to a reputable tuner and be done with it.

Stock injectors I don't see working on that setup. Your IDC will be maxed out. You'll need 36#'s at a minimum. Best bet is to get the white Bosch 3's that came in the supercharged Pontiacs. Plug and play, 42#.
What fuel pump are you running?

Are you sure you're on the base circle of the cam when checking PR's? 13* valve angle on those heads so yes you should need a longer PR, but 7.5 seems a bit short to me. How are you checking PR length?

I'm not a fan of the HS rockers; they're heavy and not needed in a setup such as yours. Get some bushed stock rockers. You want the tip of that rocker to be as light as possible.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Launching!

thx DD!

was hoping it was not a mech issue......... can I get a mail order tune to get close enough to drive?..... or do I need to tow it to my local tuner 10 mi away?

thx.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Launching!

DR - the HS rockers came with the kit..... I'll try these 1st....... but saved the stockers for backup....

fuel pump - 255lph in tank walboro

I have a set of bigger injectors I picked up from texas speed for the dyno session

I came from the fox body world of sm block fords.. years ago... you could bolt-on afr heads, big cam, intake... tubes... and just play with timing and fuel pressure and msd to tune it... no big deal...... I guess this ls is more sophsticated lOL.

Last edited by one4torque; 04-16-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by one4torque
DR - the HS rockers came with the kit..... I'll try these 1st....... but saved the stockers for backup....

fuel pump - 255lph in tank walboro

I have a set of bigger injectors I picked up from texas speed for the dyno session

I came from the fox body world of sm block fords.. years ago... you could bolt-on afr heads, big cam, intake... tubes... and just play with timing and fuel pressure and msd to tune it... no big deal...... I guess this ls is more sophsticated lOL.
Good deal on the fuel pump!! Should be a nice little setup when you get it all dialed in. Post up when you do. I'm curious to see what you make
Old 04-17-2019, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

http://www.lsxpowertuning.com/contact-us.html is a sponsor on here and he can give you a tune to get you going but you will still need a dyno tune to get it right.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Thx gag! Will order a spare ecu w a tune that is close. Want to make sure no mech issues b4 I go to trouble exp to trailer to my dyno shop. Dyno $/hr is high... I’d rather shake down cooling fuel etc on my dime.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Default Guys at lsx in Brenham super helpful

Called and ordered a tune from lsx in brenham tx for a tune to get me rolling so I can do my own engine trans build shakedown b4 I burn dyno time.

Thx for the hookup.

i feel better knowing this engine should not run correctly or at all until I get the tune.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Launching!

OK so new ECU with tune helped, but now I have other issues..... please help out an LS newb.

1. - Bad vibes after 2k rpm. I installed a new LS6 FW/Clutch/PP....... and did NOT take note of where a the stock fw balance wgt was!....
I'll stop by my storage unit tomorrow to see if and what size bal wgt was on the stock FW.......

BUT I don't know how to clock the stock FW.... Am I screwed?

What do you do at this point? Will I have to do a trial an error..... installing FW in all the possible combinations to get the smoothest revs?
How do you measure to ensure it is clocked right?

2. - I installed the Trick flow TFS Gen X 515 top end kit...... and I've got hella-noise on my drivers side rockers/valve train. I've re tq'd the rr's 2 x.
I've got the supplied 7.5" push rods, and found the turns to get 22 ft-lbs varied from 3/4 turn to 1.9 turns to get 22 ft-lbs following the procedure.
I've got the TFS push rod measure tool.... will try this once engine is on the stand.

Thx....... ready to rip this project on the road.....
Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

LS flywheels do not have balance weights. They are internally balanced. There is no "right clocking" an LS flywheel.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 AM
Launching!

G ats-

not according to this

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-balanced.html

ill check my orig fw tonight for these bal wgts
Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

G Astma is correct fly wheel does not require balancing if your fly wheel has alignment dowel pins make sure they are in the correct location reference install guide. In regard to your rocker torque/lifter preload pull valve cover, and remove rockers place a straight edge across the top of your valve tips to see if they are all the same height, if they are not you will need to measure the lower tips/higher tips to get the correct push rod length for those valves. Then add your preload and torque rockers down to 22ft/lb spec. Clutch install take your time, use alignment tool follow torque spec and bolt pattern, did you change pilot bearing? What kind of shudder are you getting?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Thx for the support guys!
im new to ls. Last builds were sm block ford.

flywheel pp clutch is new kit ls6.
there no dowell.

has new pilot bearing.

i did have to finesse the trans alignment. Perhaps I have something in a bind. It spun easily in gear w my 1/2” drive wrench on crank b4 I put so plugs on.

aftet 1st start it’s harder to turn.
i changed oil after 5th start. Had a little rainbow in oil.. nothing on mag oil plug.

does not want to rev and vibrations through engine trans.

My my guess is valve train issue. The kit came w 7.5 pushrods.
Drivers side valvevtrsin noisy deep thud noise like two sockets hitting each other.

I put new ls7 lifters. Perhaps these are the problem.
—-

was thinking ill pull engine trans trans this weekend-

compare new cl fw to my orig. might slap orig back on.

then put the stick heads cam lifters rr’s on.

to eliminate all of that.

i had to flare clutch and brake lines for this swap and I need engine out to fix leaks in those systems... so going backwards... to go forwards. Argh!$!$!
Old 04-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Ok at lunch checked and confirmed no bal weights bolted to the stock flywheel.

going to measure pushrod length w pushrod measuring tool and report back.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by one4torque
Gatsma-
not according to this-
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-balanced.html
ill check my orig fw tonight for these bal wgts
That Corvette Forum quote was full of "I think" and "I guess" without any solid facts. Watch who you quote....
As said by me and others here- NO balance weights on the flywheel. LS's are INTERNALLY balanced.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Went through the top end again. All good.

i suspect the noise is piston slap which I hear is common for 01-02 ls1.

ill have my tuner inspect it before the dyno session.

oil pressure is good
Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Launching!

OK update...... oil pressure was good @ 48 idle.
Did comp check all holes w/i 10%.

Today just finished getting cooling system and getting car on the road... and really bad knock/tick sound from the drivers side... which get's worse with temp and time...... I can feel the knock through the steering wheel with the semi-stiff vorshlag MM's.... have slim poly bushings. And gutless.....

Engine was ebay 58k mile pull out, I got the vid of it running upon sale... with good oil pressure, ran fine.

I've added: Trick Flow 515 heads/cam, hs rockers, 1.5 hardened pr's...... I installed new summit ls7 lifters..... I've retq'd the rr's 3 times with a tech buddy... so I know it is right.

I did not clay the heads... as this is supposed to be a bolt-on affair.

Causes:
1 - collapsed faulty new LS7 lifter? unlikely as they were new?????
2 - piston hitting valve????
3 - really bad rod knock, or a spun bearing????? oil pressure is steady 50psi.....

I'm up for some suggestions on next steps:

Option 1 - leave motor in car, and slap on the stock heads, cam, pr, rr's, lifters...........
Option 2 - just swap in the stock cam........
Option 3 - pull entire engine.. and go through it top to bottom.... inspect all bearings etc.......

thx all......
Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Unfortunately, I’d pull the motor. It’s always a good idea to check ptv clearance but I seriously doubt that’s your issue because that cam is not a big cam.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Not to ask a really dumb question but you are sure the header is not hitting the steering column?

Quick Reply: Need a little help with ls1 TF Gen X 515