Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloppy Mechanics vs a longer lasting budget build

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Ive been there and done it too. There isnt anything weaker if you treat the 6.0 the same as the 5.3l ie file rings and if they are both the same mileage etc. They are nearly the same cr.

You do have to push alot more air to equal the same measured boost, but thats boost 101.

Youll make more power with the 6.0 like you said. The smaller bore on the 5.3l doesnt make it any more strong than the 6.0. The pistons are also exactly the same. In fact we only offer a hard anodized top in the 6.0 flat top at the moment which furrher strengths it.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The smaller bore on the 5.3l doesnt make it any more strong than the 6.0. The pistons are also exactly the same.
Lol this may be the dumbest thing I’ve read on this forum yet! You saying a thicker cylinder wall doesn't add strength and a 3.78 piston is the same as a 4.0 piston is pretty damn funny! I expect a bit more knowledge from someone slinging parts but I guess they just let anyone be a vendor.

You totally missed (or ignored) the example I gave which has happened to me with a 6.0 and 5.3. You can live in your dreamland where you think a 6.0 is stronger but reality sings a different tune. Ever wonder why all the fastest SBE engines are small bore? If a 6.0 were as strong as you make them out to be I’m sure guys would use them in their efforts.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

No need to be triggered. And calling me a "parts slinger" its pretty ridiculous and ignorant. Just because i dont agree. Tell me, what is the wall thickness on 6.0 then? Is it good enough to bore to a 4.065 and handle boost? Cmon man you can be right in your own mind bit dont get your feelings hurt.

Plus you dont crack blocks you normally blow pistons on jy sbe builds. So theres that too.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
No need to be triggered. And calling me a "parts slinger" its pretty ridiculous and ignorant. Just because i dont agree. Tell me, what is the wall thickness on 6.0 then? Is it good enough to bore to a 4.065 and handle boost? Cmon man you can be right in your own mind bit dont get your feelings hurt.

Plus you dont crack blocks you normally blow pistons on jy sbe builds. So theres that too.
Certainly not triggered, I'm laughing. Do you not sell parts, isn't that why you came into this thread? You kept offering parts even after the OP said he doesn't want to build an engine. So how is my statement ignorant? The OP in no way needs to build or bore a block for his goals.

Since you brought it up, you are incorrect on the pistons as well. Normally you bend a rod before you hurt a piston on a SBE with a good tune, if you hurt a piston it's generally the tune that broke it or lack of fuel supply. I've run 30+ psi on SBE (as have others) and no problems with pistons, eventually bent a few rods though after a year of abuse. But the 6.0 especially iron engines have been known to crack cylinder walls on higher boost.

I've boosted plenty of 4.0 and 4.065 bore engines, but I kept them on relatively tame boost under 20'ish PSI. The 3.78 stuff see's 25+ like I said and that boost easily makes up for bore size.