Sponsored by:

Noob here with a head question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Noob here with a head question.

Hi all.
I am in the parts gathering stage of putting an LSA supercharger on my 03 Z06 (Don't start flaming me yet..). The LS6 has 49K on it, runs strong, was well maintained. I plan on keeping boost at 9-ish # and not touching the bottom end.
I have a BTR Stage 3 Blower cam, springs, etc., Trunion upgrade, Cathedral Port Adapters for the blower and a bunch of other top end, front end performance parts. Too many to list in the opening of this thread but all good stuff. My goal is +/- 600 WHP when done.

Here's my question to the Gen3 LS Guru's.

My son bought what he thought was P&P'd LS6 heads and was gonna use them on his LS1 Swapped 93 RX7. Turns out they are P&P'd 035 castings. From what I've read they are used more on boosted engines because of the larger Chamber. The 035's were done by a pro in the Detroit area and I'm sure they were done 'right'.

Would I be better off sending my stock 243's out for P&P work or use the already done 035's because I'm boosting? I could swap him my 243's and they would help the LS1 more than the 035's would - even in stock form. My BTR springs and all the other parts should work on either casting, right?

If anyone has an opinion on the difference between the two I would LOVE to have some discussion.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:42 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by JumboShrimp
Hi all.
I am in the parts gathering stage of putting an LSA supercharger on my 03 Z06 (Don't start flaming me yet..). The LS6 has 49K on it, runs strong, was well maintained. I plan on keeping boost at 9-ish # and not touching the bottom end.
I have a BTR Stage 3 Blower cam, springs, etc., Trunion upgrade, Cathedral Port Adapters for the blower and a bunch of other top end, front end performance parts. Too many to list in the opening of this thread but all good stuff. My goal is +/- 600 WHP when done.

Here's my question to the Gen3 LS Guru's.

My son bought what he thought was P&P'd LS6 heads and was gonna use them on his LS1 Swapped 93 RX7. Turns out they are P&P'd 035 castings. From what I've read they are used more on boosted engines because of the larger Chamber. The 035's were done by a pro in the Detroit area and I'm sure they were done 'right'.

Would I be better off sending my stock 243's out for P&P work or use the already done 035's because I'm boosting? I could swap him my 243's and they would help the LS1 more than the 035's would - even in stock form. My BTR springs and all the other parts should work on either casting, right?

If anyone has an opinion on the difference between the two I would LOVE to have some discussion.
Thanks in advance.
035’s and 317’s are basically identical, much like 799’s and 243’s.
The 035’s will be great for a boosted application, and are pretty much a 243 with a larger chamber. I’d say your in good shape.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply Che70velle.
I am aware of the 799 / 243 similarity. I think these heads are for a 6.0, Right? Will I need a special head gasket and will the different bore size matter (much?). I know that there a lot of ppl running 6 ltr heads on a 5.7 and getting away with it.
Just wanna do this ONCE - unlike the rest of my life...
My motto - 'I do it nice, coz I do it twice' - I'm getting a little to old for that crap.
Thanks again!!!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

They would work good. If they are not milled you'll go from 10.5 compression to 9.7-9.8, if they are milled obviously the compression would go up. Everything else will bolt right up and work out as is.

I'm not 100% on the head gasket, you'd need to measure the chamber on the head. There isn't much difference between the head gasket bore for a 3.898 LS6 and a 4.0" bore 6.0 motor head gasket. Run the 6.0 gasket or you could even take one of your gaskets off your motor and lay it on the 6.0 head and see if there's any over hang into the chamber of the 6.0 head. If not you can run either gasket. I like to run the smallest gasket possible, that does not have over hang into the chamber.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Scott - I just went through your build thread. JEEZUS!! Nice work on the 70! I bet that thing has surprised more than a few suckers. Loved your Welder (and other tool) story. I have a lift and don't know why all homes don't have them - like toilets or sinks, right? It's cool that you thank your Dad in your Sig. ( Hey, Dylan, You listening?)

Pooter - thanks for the feedback. They were milled a minimum, just to square em up (so I was told). I have yet to actually see them. I'll have to measure for PushRods when it all comes together. My kid is a GM engineer as was the guy he got them from. I'm in PA - the heads are not. Like I said, still in the parts gathering stage. The feedback is all good new so far - There's a lot more to do - like THAT's news?!
Great forum here
Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 PM
ModSquad

Scott - I just went through your build thread. JEEZUS!! Nice work on the 70! I bet that thing has surprised more than a few suckers. Loved your Welder (and other tool) story. I have a lift and don't know why all homes don't have them - like toilets or sinks, right? It's cool that you thank your Dad in your Sig. ( Hey, Dylan, You listening?)

Pooter - thanks for the feedback. They were milled a minimum, just to square em up (so I was told). I have yet to actually see them. I'll have to measure for PushRods when it all comes together. My kid is a GM engineer as was the guy he got them from. I'm in PA - the heads are not. Like I said, still in the parts gathering stage. The feedback is all good new so far - There's a lot more to do - like THAT's news?!
Great forum here
Thanks for the props Jumbo. I really need to do some updating on the build thread. I added A/C with the 434 install, as well as some other nice additions. I finally got the nice camera I promised the guys I was getting, to take quality pics with, so I really need to get back in there and update it. My dad grew up a hotrodder but was dirt poor and did everything he could do on an extreme budget. He married and had 4 kids, so the hot rod days were over for him. He was a crew chief in the Air Force and loved to turn wenches. I got every bit of my mechanical common sense and my no fear attitude of diving in to crazy projects, from him. He lives vicariously through my builds, so I owe it all to him. He enjoys my hot rods, but funny enough, I raced asphalt late models for a number of years, and he hated that. Never came to a single race or even a practice. He wouldn’t even talk race cars with me during that time. The day I sold my race team was a good day for him. He thought I would get hurt doing that, so he despised it. He’s 78 and a cancer survivor. Tough son of a gun.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Thanks for the props Jumbo. I really need to do some updating on the build thread. I added A/C with the 434 install, as well as some other nice additions. I finally got the nice camera I promised the guys I was getting, to take quality pics with, so I really need to get back in there and update it. My dad grew up a hotrodder but was dirt poor and did everything he could do on an extreme budget. He married and had 4 kids, so the hot rod days were over for him. He was a crew chief in the Air Force and loved to turn wenches. I got every bit of my mechanical common sense and my no fear attitude of diving in to crazy projects, from him. He lives vicariously through my builds, so I owe it all to him. He enjoys my hot rods, but funny enough, I raced asphalt late models for a number of years, and he hated that. Never came to a single race or even a practice. He wouldn’t even talk race cars with me during that time. The day I sold my race team was a good day for him. He thought I would get hurt doing that, so he despised it. He’s 78 and a cancer survivor. Tough son of a gun.
SO COOL! 'Will the circle be unbroken'. I hope so - for both of us!
Thanks for the help - When I get this C5 done I may come look'n for you. It will be a BADAZZ HotRod that all the Vette ****'s WILL hate - hate - HATE. How DARE I cut a hole in a Z06's hood?
I'm getting close - all I need is the Rear End parts (C6 Guts in a C5 Diff) then ... Show Time.
Thanks for the help -
Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 PM
ModSquad

SO COOL! 'Will the circle be unbroken'. I hope so - for both of us!
Thanks for the help - When I get this C5 done I may come look'n for you. It will be a BADAZZ HotRod that all the Vette ****'s WILL hate - hate - HATE. How DARE I cut a hole in a Z06's hood?
I'm getting close - all I need is the Rear End parts (C6 Guts in a C5 Diff) then ... Show Time.
Thanks for the help -
Sounds good. Where are you located Jumbo? Cut the hood, they make new ones. Are you on Corvette Forum? I’m on there under same name.
Circle ends here with me unfortunately. I’ve only got one, a 15 year old son who plays baseball year round. Travel ball summer, fall, winter, high school ball in winter/spring. No video games, no girl friends, just baseball and a Rottweiler named VonVenus. He loves the sport, and plays at a high level. Maybe get him into college, we hope and pray. In my shop last summer one evening he came out to ask about dinner, and I asked him what he would do with all of these tools if something happened to me. He said I dunno...sell them.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I'm on the CF - Same Name. I'm in Central PA - Steeler Country.

I already have a sacrificial hood coz I KNOW I'm gonna F it up.

This LS stuff is new to me but I like it so far. The RX7 Swap was my first taste of it. I'm Old Skool. If something happened to ME only one of my 4 kids would go on a tool 'feeding frenzy'. But he'd have to put an addition on his house - I'm kind of a hoarder. I don't know what he'd do with the lift but I'm sure it won't go to waste

I've been through the BaseBall / BasketBall / FootBall times. Ah, those WERE the days.