Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt out heats up car quick

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burnt out heats up car quick

I did a burn out and car heated up quick wet from 178 to 210 in less than a minute. I have the 187 thermostat and a griffin stand up radiator with the fan shroud. Motor is a 370 cid just wondering if the head gaskets are bad even though they new or if something wrong. I’m running the stock water pump. Wondering also how these guy who do burn out contests don’t over heat so fast and why my car heat go up so quick. Another thing in mind is my Underhood temps are high. You can’t even touch the shock towers or any part in the engine bay without it burning your hand.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts

Worn out water pump, stuck thermostat, weak fans, poor fan clutch??? Clogged radiator or water jacket?

What engine exactly? Gen 2 or modern LS? Old Gen 2 could have wrong engine timing for being so hot.

What compression ratio?

Rick
Old 08-04-2019, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Worn out water pump, stuck thermostat, weak fans, poor fan clutch??? Clogged radiator or water jacket?

What engine exactly? Gen 2 or modern LS? Old Gen 2 could have wrong engine timing for being so hot.

What compression ratio?

Rick
I have new thermostat stat, I have a spal 16 inch and 9 inch fan. Motor is new it’s a LS 370 with forge internals. Compression ratio is 11:1. Water pump is fairly new too.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Nothing wrong with 210 in this situation. Car is sitting still, turning gobs of rpm, under load, while relying on radiator fan for cooling. Same reason dyno operators use several big shop fans to cool a car on the rollers. Your fine.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Nothing wrong with 210 in this situation. Car is sitting still, turning gobs of rpm, under load, while relying on radiator fan for cooling. Same reason dyno operators use several big shop fans to cool a car on the rollers. Your fine.
I under stand that and I’m fine with it but even after the the burn out if I do a pull the temps will sky rocket up to 230. I was just wondering how these guys with big motors who do burn out contests could sit there and do a burn out for 2 minutes without over heating.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:35 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor9797
I under stand that and I’m fine with it but even after the the burn out if I do a pull the temps will sky rocket up to 230. I was just wondering how these guys with big motors who do burn out contests could sit there and do a burn out for 2 minutes without over heating.
No idea. Never done a burnout contest. They prolly get coolant temps up around 250-260, and that in itself won’t hurt anything for a short period of time.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor9797
You're assuming that the guys doing burn out contests aren't running hot. If they're doing the donut style, which is the usual nowadays, then the movement of the car is helping with airflow and taking a little bit of strain off the drivetrain. If they're using a trans brake and flooring it until something pops then I've yet to see one that wasn't too hot to touch right after. Standing burnouts aren't something you do to a car if you actually care about it surviving.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Long burnouts = high engine temps. Like said above you're assuming other peoples cars are not getting hot, they are. Unless they have some really bad *** radiator fan setups.

You said you're using spal fans, if you don't have a radiator shroud then it's going to get even hotter. The stock fans would do better than spal's with no shroud will.

High under hood temps and not being able to touch anything is normal. Especially if you're doing burnouts

One of the best ways to over heat a motor is to do long burnouts.

I would never do a burnout for nearly a minute and expect it to not over heat. You're doing pretty good to do it for near a minute and only hit 210

The only way you can stay at the thermostat temp is to have a lot of airflow across the radiator. Doing a standing burnout the only air coming across is from the fans. Want it to stay cooler sitting still, put the biggest baddest fans on it you can and you have to have a shroud.

I know you don't want my opinion, but here it is. If you don't want to blow up your **** stop doing long standing burnouts, it just destroys things. Trans will over heat, engine will over heat, brakes will over heat, tires blow and take out body panels etc. It's fun, but expect to tear up a lot of **** doing it.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,147 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Burnouts are for heating the tires. A minute is WAAAY too long for that. After 15 seconds you're just showing off and cooking parts.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Burnouts are for heating the tires. A minute is WAAAY too long for that. After 15 seconds you're just showing off and cooking parts.
Pretty sure that's the point, nothing wrong with doing huge burnouts to show off or in a contest. Some people like going fast and some people just like loud noises and tire smoke. I can identify with both
Old 08-07-2019, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Burnout contests are a thing. And I don't hate on anyone that likes doing them, I like watching them. But I've had my days of burning up a bunch of **** doing long burnouts. I've fried clutches, brand new sets of tires, caught a friends new car on fire once too. Didn't hurt it but it was up in flames for a minute there.

All I'm saying is if you're gonna do it you're gonna tear some **** up, and it's very very likely to over heat.
The following users liked this post:
Laddimyr (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

So what you are telling me if you do a burnout for a minute your engine temp goes up?

well ****.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,147 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
So what you are telling me if you do a burnout for a minute your engine temp goes up?

well ****.
Yeah. Who knew, huh?? LOL
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LilJayV10

well ****.
LOL, yep, who would have thought