Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s guess what is broken - updated

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Over tightened bolts maybe..? It sucks but it looks like damage was limited to the rockers which is a best case scenario for that noise
Old 08-29-2019, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 323 Likes on 228 Posts

Two much valvespring pressure I think or improperly shimmed springs, bolts as others have mentioned, most likely.

I tried to use after market springs and a higher lift cam in an old sbc when I was a kid before I knew anything and I had half the pushrods punching through the stamped steel rocker arms lol. It seems like if more than one is broke it must be related to the springs but I still don't know anything and can't afford a complete valvetrain kit so I leave the parts matching to the experts.

This is why I always say ls6 springs and lower lift is fine for 99% of apps that really live on the street. Big boost maybe different, but I would try the stock stuff first anyways
Old 08-29-2019, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the rocker had broke on either tip end I would agree with spring pressures possibly being at fault. But I don’t think the trunnions and end bolts see the same spring related stress ( I could be wrong though). Seems like the bolts and trunnions were either over stressed (from over tightening) or had manufacturing defects. Either way I think it’s worth a phone call to Jesel. The bolts don’t look all this big, what’s the torque spec on them and did you use a good torque wrench?
Old 08-29-2019, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine was put together top to bottom at an engine shop and supposedly torqued to spec

i was going to pull the head, but may just drill out the broken bolts and put new rockers on. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
Old 08-29-2019, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Also with this push rod being buried so low, collapsed lifter? That specific pushrod being low had me questioning if I should pull the whole head. Or is that normal?
Old 08-29-2019, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 323 Likes on 228 Posts

Can you pull the pushrod out? It looks like its damaged to me but I mostly mess with stock stuff. If you haven't contacted the shop that built it I would right away before going anywhere further taking it apart because it looks like they sold you a **** experiment for your intended application based on what you have shown us
Old 08-29-2019, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Thinking the lifter is collapsed. Hopefully not a smashed cam lobe

and yea I gave it a little tap with a hammer / screw driver and it freed up and came right out
Old 08-29-2019, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 850 Likes on 651 Posts

Looks like you got shafted
Old 08-29-2019, 06:20 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,217 Posts

I have to ask why adjustable rockers with a hydraulic camshaft?
Regardless, my first phone call would be to Jesel. I’ve seen their stuff break before...anything can break...and they bent over backwards to send out new stuff to get it going. If this stuff is new? you should have no problems with Jesel getting you new parts. If it’s used, well then, that’s a different story. I don’t and won’t buy anything used valvetrain related.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

They said possibly over / under tightened. Said they would give me a “break” on 4 new ones. About 45 bucks off

and yep, everything was bought and installed brand new
Old 08-29-2019, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try to find the torque spec from Jesel for those bolts. If you have an old school beam type torque wrench you can get a pretty good idea of how much torque it takes to start loosening some of the other bolts on the rail. This will tell you if they were all torqued too high or if the installer just fudged a couple of bolts when torqueing. Maybe your builder will cover the costs if you can prove they were over torqued. For the bolts and trunnion to fail like they did they would have to be grossly over tightened.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
Try to find the torque spec from Jesel for those bolts. If you have an old school beam type torque wrench you can get a pretty good idea of how much torque it takes to start loosening some of the other bolts on the rail. This will tell you if they were all torqued too high or if the installer just fudged a couple of bolts when torqueing. Maybe your builder will cover the costs if you can prove they were over torqued. For the bolts and trunnion to fail like they did they would have to be grossly over tightened.

Unfortunately the car sat in wiring jail for quite a while. I doubt the builder will believe it only had 100 miles and dyno time on it. But worth a try I guess. I’ll maybe get a cheap harbor freight digital torque wrench and try and pop some off to see the torque put on em
Old 08-29-2019, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 342 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Thats pretty crazy. I wonder how that could have happened.

Too much torque applied from those freakishly long fingers...???
Old 08-30-2019, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

wow didnt even notice that... the thumb and pinky look normal... but the other 3????

Also for that pushrod to be that far down im almost certain that it is bent, youve had some contact go on somewhere......
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
wow didnt even notice that... the thumb and pinky look normal... but the other 3????

Also for that pushrod to be that far down im almost certain that it is bent, youve had some contact go on somewhere......
Lol my thumb and pinky are pointed up so they don’t look as long as the other 3 haha

and I got the pushrod out and it didn’t appear bent at all. Rolled it on a flat surface and appears fine. Collapsed lifter?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you check full open clearance to coil bind? I wouldn't point fingers at Jesel just yet, you need to verify how that valve train was built.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Did you check full open clearance to coil bind? I wouldn't point fingers at Jesel just yet, you need to verify how that valve train was built.

Ill admit that I did not check. Figured it was fine coming from engine shop who supposedly had done all that.

It didn’t make any valve noise prior and was relatively quiet for an ls
Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by j-mart32
Lol my thumb and pinky are pointed up so they don’t look as long as the other 3 haha

and I got the pushrod out and it didn’t appear bent at all. Rolled it on a flat surface and appears fine. Collapsed lifter?

I don’t think the lifter can collapse that far! Was the pushrod still in the end of the lifter? Maybe it had jumped off and out of the lifter tray? If you slide the pushrod back in there how far down does it go??
Old 08-30-2019, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
I don’t think the lifter can collapse that far! Was the pushrod still in the end of the lifter? Maybe it had jumped off and out of the lifter tray? If you slide the pushrod back in there how far down does it go??

Headed home now to check in will report back. I will say when it was that low I couldn’t pull it out by hand. Turning the engine over by hand wouldn’t lift it, and bumping the engine over with the key wouldn’t lift it either.

Lifter fucked in the bore? Or cam lobe?

Drained the oil and nothing jumped out at me
Old 08-30-2019, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Just put the pushrod in and it settled in to a normal height. WTF

Quick Reply: Let’s guess what is broken - updated