Sponsored by:

Best LS1 rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Thanks for the good words guys!

As far as a plug and play harness, the psi conversions harness is a great option and the ebst part is using a stock computer that any tuner can work with. Dont stick yourself in the corner with the Terminator X setup. Its alot more than a stock style harness and most usually spend a bunch of money on it and never get it to run right.
THIS is exactly what I was questioning in my head. It looks so shiny and boom pow-ish. I started thinking with the other head, as usual. I need to stay focused and stick to my plan. I was on the fence between PSi and BP, but I have read Great things about PSI. Thanks to all for honest opinions.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks for the good words guys!

As far as a plug and play harness, the psi conversions harness is a great option and the ebst part is using a stock computer that any tuner can work with. Dont stick yourself in the corner with the Terminator X setup. Its alot more than a stock style harness and most usually spend a bunch of money on it and never get it to run right.
I havent personally heard of anyone having issues with the terminator X? And its self tuning (to an extent) and anyone that can tune with Hp tuners should have no problem tuning with the Holley. but were talkin about a stock Ls1 anyways so wont really require anything special.
Maybe I have missed all the bad reports from the terminator X? thanks
Old 12-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
I havent personally heard of anyone having issues with the terminator X? And its self tuning (to an extent) and anyone that can tune with Hp tuners should have no problem tuning with the Holley. but were talkin about a stock Ls1 anyways so wont really require anything special.
I have nothing bad or negative to say, but I haven't seen one in action. A $600 harness that will plug into my ECM is definitely more appealing. I'm thinking I can use that extra cash for a dyno tune, maybe at dynospeed in Memphis? Have you ever dealt with them?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I haven't, I've always done my own tuning. But the price of the harness and dyno tune will be about the same as the Holley unit. And if you need to make changes you have to take it back to the tuner were as with the Holley it will adjust itself. Also the Holley will give you the option to use the display screen for some of your dash functions and can be used for diagnosing any issues...
Old 12-12-2019, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Its not the software or holleys fault. Its the person's fault. You wont see that reported. We get calls often about it though.
The easy way to think about it is like this.
How many tuners can tune with hptuners and really get a good outcome. I meanz even if the tuner copies and pastes it usually turns out well. Bad idea, but still not a terrible outcome.
How many guys you see on here or fb asking about real holley tuners because their tuner guy cant get it right? They are nowhere near the same. Thats just one instance but a major reason.
Most dont see it or hear it because they arent listening though.
People buy them or the fitech because they are "self learning" which is total bs also. And running blind with a termX letting it control your fueling with a single wideband isnt a good idea either.

Youd have to tune or dyno tune a holley anyway. Thats a moot point. You cant just jump into it and get a good or even marginal tune out of it without serious legwork.
The following 3 users liked this post by tech@WS6store:
bramlettjk (12-12-2019), CattleAc (12-13-2019), Ls7colorado (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Its not the software or holleys fault. Its the person's fault. You wont see that reported. We get calls often about it though.
How many tuners can tune with hptuners and really get a good outcome. I meanz even if the tuner copies and pastes it usually turns out well. Bad idea, but still not a terrible outcome.
How many guys you see on here or fb asking about real holley tuners because their tuner guy cant get it right? They are nowhere near the same. Thats just one instance but a major reason.
People buy them or the fitech because they are "self learning" which is total bs also. And running blind with a termX letting it control your fueling with a single wideband isnt a good idea either.

Youd have to tune or dyno tune a holley anyway. Thats a moot point. You cant just jump into it and get a good or even marginal tune out of it without serious legwork.
I am definitely to ADHD for all of this. I would “squirrel” thirty mins in. I leave that kind of stuff to you smart folks because I know my limitations. And I need to get this motor right so I can move on to my next project after the keys are handed to “THE BOSS”!

I do appreciate and value everyone who took the time to share their knowledge. I will definitely be purchasing all of the LS parts I end up needing from the WS6 outfit and will keep the Holley harness in mind on future projects. I think a stand alone harness will be the solution for this car.

Sorry I posted it in this thread but I’m glad I did. I’ll be sure to post future questions in the right forum. Thanks again to all.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for that, I have "Tuned" with both at the track and they are different but I guess what im getting at was if you can learn one you can learn the other. I dont have the terminator X on my car YET though so I have personally never used the "self tune" feature. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
The following users liked this post:
bramlettjk (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Thank you for that, I have "Tuned" with both at the track and they are different but I guess what im getting at was if you can learn one you can learn the other. I dont have the terminator X on my car YET though so I have personally never used the "self tune" feature. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
They are so different, a blanket statement of any tuner could isnt right. How many people still have issues with their boost control settings even after 9 youtube tutorials and all the fb guys telling them? And thats just with mac valves or tubing, not even tuning.
Now imagine someone every 30 mins on every separate fb post saying "spend $1200 on the maxX i did and its great" to literally anyone that asks and that person gets stuck with something they cant use. Its alot easier to find A someone to tune a stock style harness setup if youre left scratching your head and eating $600 or less is alot easier than $1200.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@ws6store
they are so different, a blanket statement of any tuner could isnt right. How many people still have issues with their boost control settings even after 9 youtube tutorials and all the fb guys telling them? And thats just with mac valves or tubing, not even tuning.
Now imagine someone every 30 mins on every separate fb post saying "spend $1200 on the maxx i did and its great" to literally anyone that asks and that person gets stuck with something they cant use. Its alot easier to find a someone to tune a stock style harness setup if youre left scratching your head and eating $600 or less is alot easier than $1200.

lol!!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got about 40k mi. on my 5.3 Tahoe that I built with a WS6store kit, good stuff, no problems and the book was indispensable. I had a neighbors friend mail order tune it with HP and he did it spot on, he's in Erie, Pa and i'm in Oh.
The following 2 users liked this post by matts01z71:
bramlettjk (12-15-2019), G Atsma (12-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Best LS1 rebuild kit