Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Wall Rust- Shot or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cylinder Wall Rust- Shot or Not?

Hey, I have 53k original miles ls1/t56 dropout from a 2002 camaro z28. I am tearing down the motor to do a heads/cam and notice some significant rust in the rear most cylinder bore. The car had been sitting (not ran) for about 7 years and I was only able to hear it run for about 10 seconds on starter fluid before getting the dropout.

Is there more to worry about here with the rust or is it okay?

Other cylinders look pretty good and a bunch of rust came off when I wiped it but there is still some rust lodged into the wall particularly towards the top. I didn't see any head gasket breach either.

What do you think?

Before wiping

After wiping
Old 12-13-2019, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would clean it with WD40 and a scotchbrite pad and send it.

One thing that strikes me as odd though is the gasket. It looks like it is a composite gasket which shouldn't be on a 2002 engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by Know It All:
Homer_Simpson (03-21-2023), Ls7colorado (12-13-2019), slowride (01-15-2020)
Old 12-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Appreciate it Know It All. I'll see how good I clean it that way. Hmm maybe concerning if the headgasket doesnt match the factory gasket meaning the heads were off at some point or maybe worse a swapped engine. Everything was stock down to the exhaust manifolds.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I concur with know it all, in that I wouldn't sweat that too much. Looks like everything below the ring travel is just surface rust, and most of what could be pitting is above the highest position of the top ring travel anyhow. Scotchbright should clean it up well, but I don't think I'd use a pad. I'd keep the piston at bdc, seal the bore up (just above the piston top) as best you can with painters tape and plastic, then use a scotchbright ball on a drill for the most part of it. Doing so will make it easier to emulate the 38*-45* crosshatch angle from the original bore/hone job. That angle plays a big role in oil control AND ring rotation. You wouldn't want to go straight up and down or straight around the cylinder. Also use tons of wd40 to flush any particles away and not inadvertently bed anything into the wall.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Appreciate it Enigma540, that's some good advice and glad to hear it shouldn't be anything to be super worried about.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

If you can clean up the cylinder and there is no pitting in the wall it should be fine. Personally, if it were me, I'd have to be **** and pull it apart and at least change or clean the rings as they could have a bit of rust and dirt in them. You got it on the stand, why not go the extra step.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree that you should use WD 40 and paper towels to clean the rust off. Just keep working it until you've removed the rust, then you should be good.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 699 Likes on 440 Posts

I agree with Ironman. Not knowing what’s going on with the rings would drive me nuts.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 573 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by ironmanLS1
If you can clean up the cylinder and there is no pitting in the wall it should be fine. Personally, if it were me, I'd have to be **** and pull it apart and at least change or clean the rings as they could have a bit of rust and dirt in them. You got it on the stand, why not go the extra step.

Heck at that point he might as well put new bearings in too. If if hes doing that, he might as well put forged pistons and rods in. And if hes gonna put pistons and rods in...he might as well stroke it..........this is a never ending snowball effect. lol
Old 12-14-2019, 05:39 PM
Teching In

That's what I'm saying.., I'm trying to be somewhat budget friendly but I find myself replacing everything. I think I'll leave the pistons in otherwise the stocks will never go back into the motor. I used a scotch pad wd40 and Kroil. The Kroil dissolved the rust much better. Will post the progress pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by ScottyGear; 12-15-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

My $.02...........
You ran the engine. The rings have scraped the loose **** off the wall. Most likely, it's on/behind the rings.
They could stick in the groove, and also be damaged by the rough wall face.
It's on the stand. Pull it apart, have it glaze busted, and re-ring it.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Heck at that point he might as well put new bearings in too. If if hes doing that, he might as well put forged pistons and rods in. And if hes gonna put pistons and rods in...he might as well stroke it..........this is a never ending snowball effect. lol
Bearings I would do, yes. No need for aftermarket rotating assembly. But I get what you are saying - where does it end.

Heck, he could just leave as is, forget the rust and slap it together. Will it run, sure. Will it last...?
Old 12-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Teching In

I submitted some update pics last night that I guess are still under approval from the moderators. When those are posted let me know what you all think. I still have to continue removing residual gasket material from the block using plastic razor blades but that is taking forever.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Ok here is an update of the progress using wd40, kroil, and a scotch pad.

Some staining remains but is smooth

Pistons cleaned at TDC
Old 12-21-2019, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Hope everything works out for you! You've gone this far you might as well tear it the rest of the way down.

Cylinder bores could use a re-hone and the rings could need replacing but without removing to inspect who knows what the condition is. The rod and main bearings could still be in good shape and can be re-used but without looking to see who knows what their condition is.

I would not leave anything to chance as gremlins do a great job of hiding and rearing their ugly heads at the worst possible times.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Pull the dowels out, makes it a lot easier. They can be re-used, but nice shiny new ones are cheap, they're the same as older big block.

Mine was also composite and had the same effect of darker stains along the bottom edge, which is probably from being at a 45 deg angle and something seeping down through the gasket material over time.

Last edited by patSS/00; 12-22-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
If the heads are already off then it's not that big of a deal to pull a piston and clean it up and reinstall, I have a 5.3 on the stand now that I pulled pistons and cleaned them and I reused bearings and bolts and it didn't take long at all. The pistons obviously won't rust but the rings will and it may be enough to cause a problem.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyGear
Ok here is an update of the progress using wd40, kroil, and a scotch pad.

Some staining remains but is smooth

Pistons cleaned at TDC
I guess it depends on your skill level. You could assemble the engine and run it or remove that piston and continue to work the cylinder until you've removed the rust. If you feel really good about things you could add a step by honing that cylinder and then putting everything together.

Be sure to use plenty of WD 40 as you clean that cylinder and to reduce the chance of rust coming back and to lubricate the piston rings.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Teching In

So this issue has been keeping me up at night, the other bank also had rust in the cylinders and even a worse to the point you can feel a small distortion with your finger. You can see where it looks like the piston rings were sitting and rusting to the cylinder wall. I pulled the oil pan and windage tray and inspected the bores from below, they look great but doesnt say anything about the condition of the rings. I already installed the cam, ls2 timing chain and melling oil pump but now I am going to take it all apart and just have it mic'd and honed if possible or slightly bored if honing wont fix it. Now I am just trying to find the right machine shop as I dont trust a dingle berry hone will do the trick.

Driverside rear cylinder (worst one)
Old 12-26-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 573 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyGear
So this issue has been keeping me up at night, the other bank also had rust in the cylinders and even a worse to the point you can feel a small distortion with your finger. You can see where it looks like the piston rings were sitting and rusting to the cylinder wall. I pulled the oil pan and windage tray and inspected the bores from below, they look great but doesnt say anything about the condition of the rings. I already installed the cam, ls2 timing chain and melling oil pump but now I am going to take it all apart and just have it mic'd and honed if possible or slightly bored if honing wont fix it. Now I am just trying to find the right machine shop as I dont trust a dingle berry hone will do the trick.

Driverside rear cylinder (worst one)

well dang. I ball honed mine. Should I be concerned? Should I not trust it? It is the same ball hone I’ve used on numerous engines, but maybe I should be worried now? Reading this has me scratching my head, second guessing my ball hones ability.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Wall Rust- Shot or Not?