Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam help, n2o, LQ4 flat tops

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam help, n2o, LQ4 flat tops

Hey All, I know I know, a cam thread, but theres a specific reason why im asking (other than the fact this is my first group up engine build). The expert manufacturers are driving me crazy. Ive given 3 manufactures the specs on my car and engine, and what im trying to do, and gotten 3 completly different answers on what direction to go in Cam spec wise.

I have an LQ4, with LS2 flaptop pistons. 243 heads, Carbed Dual Quad Holly Tunnel Ram, and somewhere between 100 to 200 shot of n2o at most.

3300 or so pound nova

Auto trans, would like to be in the 3000 to 3500 stall speed area

4.11 gears

Car is going to be a street/strip...but mostly strip...car. Im looking for something on the ragged edge of streetability, but still want to be able to drive it on the street occasionally.

Can anyone point me in the right cam direction? I was looking at the sloppy stage 2 that ive read works for alot of people, but comp suggested something alot milder. Then I have another company recommending a cam way more in the aggresive range. I know theres thousands of opinions on this but just looking for a general consensus of what I should be doing.

I also worried about p to v clearence with the flat tops. Thanks all in advance!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First things first. Why do you want such a low stall for a strip car? A converter that low is going to hold you back, alot. It is also going to limit the amount of cam that you can run. For a 100-200 shot, I would look for the best NA cam for your set up. No need for a nitrous specific cam until your using 250+ of spray. I sprayed 250 on a btr4 and it worked great. I would get with fti or ptc and get the converter ironed out first. Then call btr or cam motion and have them do you a cam.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
First things first. Why do you want such a low stall for a strip car? A converter that low is going to hold you back, alot. It is also going to limit the amount of cam that you can run. For a 100-200 shot, I would look for the best NA cam for your set up. No need for a nitrous specific cam until your using 250+ of spray. I sprayed 250 on a btr4 and it worked great. I would get with fti or ptc and get the converter ironed out first. Then call btr or cam motion and have them do you a cam.
Honestly, because I don't know any better. Can I go much higher and street drive the car on occasion? I always thought anything higher than 3k was dicey for that. Granted it wont be doing that much but if my thinking is off on that please let me know.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can most definitely drive a big stall on the street. Pay the money and get a good converter and it is a non issue. My converter went to like 4500 and I loved it on the street

Quick Reply: Cam help, n2o, LQ4 flat tops