Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrod and preload morel HLT 5850 HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pushrod and preload morel HLT 5850 HELP!!!

I have morel 5850 HLT lifters and I set them up with Harlan sharp roller rockers and the stock pedestal rockers same block 2001 5.3L ls
Basically, I had the lifters soaking in synthetic oil for about a week, then I put them in the motor, put the heads on and started with the pushrods that were sent to me in the btr stage 4 cam kit. They were a 7.4” Immediately, I knew they were too long it hung the valves open, so that’s when I pulled out my pushrod length checker to check the length needed.I found zero lash by tightening the rocker bolt till no wiggling in the rocker basically snug and the push rod length was 7.26 and I added 0.015 preload. I ordered 7.275 pushrods and then I Installed the 7.275 and torqued down the rocker- it took a quarter turn to hit 24ft lbs and then there was too much lash which caused them to wiggle.

Very frustrated at this point- I went ahead and re-measured, did everything exactly the same came up with 7.29” So I purchased the 7.3 inch pushrod, I installed it torqued it and at first they were perfect then rotated the engine twice and then they loosen and you can see in the video with harlands I can lift up on them but they are snug just feels like I’m lifting up and the plunger is going down but I’m not sure what’s up. Now I’m really saying wtf lol

So I’m wondering is the plunger squishing down and bleeding out oil too and causing faults adjustment?

So I decided to switch to the stock rocker pedestals and they do the same thing and I came up with the same exact issue but I did make a few videos to show you guys what’s kind of going on and I just want it right or within An acceptable tolerance range so I can move on lol

********* Videos below************

https://share.icloud.com/photos/02Ej...-zCah9XAU72-Vg

Old 03-01-2020, 08:26 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

You probably need to measure all 16. With that tight a window, adjusting in .025 increments has the potential to be either too big or too small. You likely will need custom length and a couple different lengths. For example intake and exhaust base circles may be different on a lot of dual pattern cams.

For something this precise you need to use calipers vs counting turns.

The total travel on those is around 030, correct? So if you preloaded 010 and have 020 of additional travel, then the math adds up.

Quick Reply: Pushrod and preload morel HLT 5850 HELP!!!