Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Oil pressure thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Oil pressure thread...

Block refreshed by machine shop and install had new bearings ( shop measured clearances, new cam, main, and rod bearings). Crank was rotated, cylinder walls were honed for new rings (literally, heads, mains, rod, crank pulley...) Startup was fine, started with about 45psi, got warm and the pressure tanked...shut it off as soon as it got low (below 10, not quite zero.). During the startup, the oil pressure responded to light gas/rev to 2k... I'm running a melling high volume oil pump. I checked the pick up tube twice and I'm 100% sure the barbell was installed during the motors rebuild... Besides just a faulty electronic reading, what could be the cause here? I'm planning to hook up a wet gauge to the oil galley plug behind the alternator, but still looking for other troubleshooting steps
Old 05-02-2020, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Hook up a mechanical gauge before you go any further.
The following users liked this post:
CM97T/A (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

New cam retainer plate? Have you cut open the filter?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is that a stock oil pan? How many quarts of oil are in it? Just wondering if the high volume oil pump is leaving it dry. There are others that know better than I, but don't you have to go with a larger pan for high volume?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Launching!

I bought a oil pressure testing kit today, going to hook it up to the oil galley behind the alternator. The first time it happened I ran 5.5 quarts and the second time I ran 6. Retainer plates brand new also. Essentially everything's new except for the rotating assembly block, and the pickup tube
Old 05-02-2020, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ddnspider
New cam retainer plate? Have you cut open the filter?
No no I didn't get a chance to cut open the new filter, I scanned through the first oil change for visible shavings but didn't see any. Retainer plate is brand new
Old 05-02-2020, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,400 Posts

I don't believe this is the issue your having but I changed over to the Moroso 21150 pan which utilizes an oil filter relocation kit. The pickup tube was too close to the bottom of the stock pan for the high volume pump and I wasn't getting enough oil up to the motor under load. My oil pressure was around 45-50 psi but when you put your foot into it the pressure dropped to almost zero. Luckily I noticed the issue before causing any damage.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Curios if you may have gotten some trash in the screen of the pick up tube after start up.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Curios if you may have gotten some trash in the screen of the pick up tube after start up.
That that definitely crossed my mind, but I cleared the pickup tube and ran compressed air through it to make sure there was no residue or any old oil gunk or build up in there. Another possible cause I ruled out was it being a cam bearing, I recall the oil ports being lined up when I ran the brushes through it during the cleaning. besides the one in the oil pump there's no other pressure relief valve for f bodies is there? The oil pan I ordered is a Spectra, which I had to replace the threaded insert with the one for my stock pan, but everything else looked the same
Old 05-02-2020, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Chasing down oil pressure issues are tough because it could be any number of things. You either have a restriction causing the low pressure or a bleed off of pressure due to a leak somewhere so you will have to look at all of those areas. I'd start with the pan, pump and pick up tube. Verify you have plenty of clearance between the pick up and the pan, Make sure the correct o-ring is on the pick up tube and its installed correctly. Verify that the oil pump is in good working order and the cam retaining plate is installed properly. Sometimes parts can be defective and then there's human error. Nature of the beast!
Old 05-02-2020, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Chasing down oil pressure issues are tough because it could be any number of things. You either have a restriction causing the low pressure or a bleed off of pressure due to a leak somewhere so you will have to look at all of those areas. I'd start with the pan, pump and pick up tube. Verify you have plenty of clearance between the pick up and the pan, Make sure the correct o-ring is on the pick up tube and its installed correctly. Verify that the oil pump is in good working order and the cam retaining plate is installed properly. Sometimes parts can be defective and then there's human error. Nature of the beast!
I'm I'm thinking the next time I do this I'm going to let the shop build it for me, this was the most stressful project haha. T/A been out since Aug 18' from a random misfire. Decided to head cam swap and swap to a t56.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is your Melling pump a 10296? Does it have the red or blue relief valve spring? Are you running 5w30? If your motor was built with loose clearances maybe a slightly thicker oil is needed? Just a thought. You should ask your builder for the clearances and if he doesn’t know then you should go elsewhere next time.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure I have all the paperwork of the parts and clearances. I'll have to double-check since I moved and I've lost some stuff along the way since the build started. Regarding the oil pump, I haven't had it apart since I first put it together, I have a spring left over that says it's for a copo Camaro I figured would not apply to me. I can't imagine in the process of me putting it together I didn't remember to put the other spring in there. I'm going to put the wet gauge on there tomorrow and try to turn it over first before starting it up, see what I can build it up to.
64post (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ls1fan92
I'm pretty sure I have all the paperwork of the parts and clearances. I'll have to double-check since I moved and I've lost some stuff along the way since the build started. Regarding the oil pump, I haven't had it apart since I first put it together, I have a spring left over that says it's for a copo Camaro I figured would not apply to me. I can't imagine in the process of me putting it together I didn't remember to put the other spring in there. I'm going to put the wet gauge on there tomorrow and try to turn it over first before starting it up, see what I can build it up to.
I know this would be labor intensive but, if you could get a wet reading at the first gallery plug on the left front side of the block it would tell you a lot. If you’re using the opening at the rear of the block in the valley and your pressure is low it won’t tell u much about where the problem is except inside your motor.
Im actually putting oil into this motor through a pressurized oil tank for priming.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

You can make or buy an oil pressure adaptor core drill a used gallery plug with 1/8” npt. Or buy one made from Autometer.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 64post
I know this would be labor intensive but, if you could get a wet reading at the first gallery plug on the left front side of the block it would tell you a lot. If you’re using the opening at the rear of the block in the valley and your pressure is low it won’t tell u much about where the problem is except inside your motor.
Im actually putting oil into this motor through a pressurized oil tank for priming.
Yeah we have a summit racing nearby I'm going to get the fitting from. I need a 1/8 female to a M16 x 1.5 male. Every other store I've checked with including the hardware store has nothing they won't even reduce or build up to that size. All the parts stores you have to order it online. Getting to the galley hole behind the alternator isn't that bad, just under the bolts to pull the alternator if I can't get to it, which is not that hard if you underneath it. Aside from there and the spot behind the intake, is there any other port s to check the pressure at leading up to the oil return?
Old 05-03-2020, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Warm your motor up first, then run without alt and belt for a minute just to see what you have. If it’s good there warm, the problem is beyond that. If not you may just have a oil pick up issue but likely something by the way you’re describing the issue. 20/50 here you are....lol
Old 05-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 64post
Warm your motor up first, then run without alt and belt for a minute just to see what you have. If it’s good there warm, the problem is beyond that. If not you may just have a oil pick up issue but likely something by the way you’re describing the issue. 20/50 here you are....lol
Are are you using the melling primer tank in that pic? Are you supposed to open anything to relieve the air in the oil galley or does it vent on its own?
64post (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,243 Likes on 669 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

OP,

If you still need that fitting we have it from ICT Billet ICB-551172. We see you're in Ohio. Our Ohio retail store is curbside pickup only at this time. For more info on our curbside pickup view this article.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 05-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Summitracing
OP,

If you still need that fitting we have it from ICT Billet ICB-551172. We see you're in Ohio. Our Ohio retail store is curbside pickup only at this time. For more info on our curbside pickup view this article.
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered one by autometer...? Pretty sure that's the name. Picked it up yesterday at the tallmadge store.

Quick Reply: Another Oil pressure thread...