Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! Clacking sound, probably tearing down tomorrow - would love some input!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help! Clacking sound, probably tearing down tomorrow - would love some input!

Ok, so a couple of things...first, there is a loud clacking sound, gets louder with any amount of throttle as well. Sounds a lot like a broken clutch spring rattling around in a bellhousing (because I've heard that before as well), but isn't that, because I already replaced the clutch and honestly its a more consistent clack than that would be IMO. I and my buddy, who is a fair amount more knowledgeable than me, are thinking busted lifter. I've already checked the pushrods and they seem good. Anything else it's likely to be that would NOT require tearing it down?

Second, the ridiculous/embarrassing part of all this is that I did this build (LQ4) at least 11 years ago, and it probably broke about 8 years ago, but then we started having kids and business stuff and I just let it sit and never fixed it, so all that to say, I've forgotten so much about what we originally built that it's not even funny. (Might even search my own old posts to see what I find from before) That doesn't really affect tearing things down very much, but will certainly affect me buying replacements and putting things back together, so after we determine the culprit, I may be back for what could easily be considered really stupid questions, but I probably have to relearn how to do a lot of this. I don't want to take it to someone honestly because it's just one of those things where I want to have it to drive, but not at the expense of what it would cost for someone else to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help...it's cool to get back into it a bit after time away.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,384 Posts

How is your oil pressure?
Old 03-12-2021, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Not sure...haven't really checked anything other than pulling it down to the pushrods and hoping one was bent for some reason. I can pick up a tester I'm sure, but what am I looking for/what would low oil pressure indicate in this situation?
Old 03-13-2021, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,384 Posts

WHEN it was making the clacking sound, WHAT was the oil pressure??
If I heard clacking sounds in my engine, oil pressure would have been checked RIGHT THEN.
SMH....
The following users liked this post:
Jake Wade (04-18-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Sorry, to be clear, when I first heard it, I honestly thought it was a broken spring in the clutch, as I've had that happen and sounded VERY similar, so I just babied it home and later found out it wasn't the clutch. Even from under the car it is hard to tell exactly where its coming from. For me at least, I'm sure you could. I don't remember what the oil pressure was, but I know it didn't drop to 0 or anything because I would have noticed that. It will still start and I can move it around if I need to, I obviously just rarely do it because I'm not trying to tear anything up worse, but I can check it tomorrow. If it's not at 0, what should it be at idle/other RPM, and if its low, where would you start?

And no offense, but there's no need for the SMH...I already pretty much admitted I'm a dummy when it comes to this stuff...no need to rub it in I can turn a wrench and follow instructions, but don't remember much from what I learned back then. I really do appreciate your help...I've seen some of your other posts and I appreciate you taking the time to share what you know.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Before pulling the pushrods did you check each rocker for excessive play? If your friend is correct with a "busted lifter" diagnosis... you can wiggle each rocker, bump the engine over until each lifter is on the cam lobes base circle while looking for play. A broken lifter or a lifter that has rotated in it's bore will wear down the cam lobe causing excessive play. Inspect each rocker arm for wear at the pushrod cup and look for pieces of valve spring materiel laying on top of the head indicating a broken valve spring. A broken spring is visible under close inspection. If it's valvetrain related you sometimes can zero in by wiggling, pushing and pulling on the rockers... bump the starter... and work the rockers again.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:06 PM
Teching In

So, got everything out so far but the drivers side head, no damage on the pass side to lifters or pushrods. Oil pressure was about 20-30 between idle and 2500rpm, but didn't want to push it too much. Did find (what seems to me to be) an insane amount of rust/corrosion on the valley plate and up the side of the heads...any ideas what would cause this? Maybe a leak in the steam pipe? Left a lot of water in the front knock sensor.

​​​​​​

Other than that, everything seems fine so far, so I guess I'm hoping to see an issue on the drivers side head. If anyone has any input on that mess above, would love to hear that as well. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
Before pulling the pushrods did you check each rocker for excessive play? If your friend is correct with a "busted lifter" diagnosis... you can wiggle each rocker, bump the engine over until each lifter is on the cam lobes base circle while looking for play. A broken lifter or a lifter that has rotated in it's bore will wear down the cam lobe causing excessive play. Inspect each rocker arm for wear at the pushrod cup and look for pieces of valve spring materiel laying on top of the head indicating a broken valve spring. A broken spring is visible under close inspection. If it's valvetrain related you sometimes can zero in by wiggling, pushing and pulling on the rockers... bump the starter... and work the rockers again.
​​​​​​
Couldn't find any play honestly. Springs look ok too.

Also, one of the times I started it today it actually didn't make the noise at all until I gave it a little throttle, so I suppose it's not 100% of the time if that rules anything out.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,325 Posts

Have you removed the rocker arms yet? I would check them individually looking for one to be looser than normal. Not trying to sound like a smart *** but are you familiar with valve events and do you know the EOIC method for checking valves?
Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 341 Posts

Looks like your valley cover has been in the ocean for a few decades lol
I've seen water drip from the cowl panel but my goodness, looks like it was acid dripping from yours lol
Woodylyf767 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks to me as tho the steam line is rotted towards the ft.
That's engine block rust, blown out onto the valley cover and the heads.
G Atsma (03-16-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the delay in posting back, and I appreciate the input so far. The steam line is easy enough to replace of course. Just crazy how much corrosion was there. Anyway, finally got it all torn down and the center cam bearing had started to walk out, and it spun a rod bearing badly enough that the crank is shot. Looks like there's some damage to the cam journal as well, so need a new cam too. The block seems to be salvageable though, so that will save me some on the cost of putting her back together. The piston has a pretty small nick but the machine shop guy said there should be no problem reusing it, need a new connecting rod of course.

Other than the crank, and cam, and rod, anything else I need to be wary of (not including the steam pipe stuff)? Is there a reason to or not to use a high volume/pressure oil pump? This is and has always been a budget car for me, and I know I'm in the minority there. One day I may spend quite a bit more and really build a great motor, but today is not that day. I just mostly don't want to be back here doing this again in 2 years. Thoughts? I appreciate you guys and your help...it's great to have places like this where people like me can learn (or relearn) stuff. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2021, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 148 Posts

Engine sensors. Change the hard to reach sensors now during the rebuild - knock sensor plus its harness, crank sensor and maybe the cam position sensor.

Rick
Old 04-18-2021, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Engine sensors. Change the hard to reach sensors now during the rebuild - knock sensor plus its harness, crank sensor and maybe the cam position sensor.

Rick
Good advice... A slipped wrench actually broke one anyway. Thanks Rick!

Quick Reply: Need help! Clacking sound, probably tearing down tomorrow - would love some input!