Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Opinion on Lifters

I think I have it all figured out and then I start reading. I've read a lot on Lifters and what most people recommend. Seems that the majority use LS7 lifters and others Morel 5206. I have decided on all other parts, except lifters and possibly springs. Probably going with the BTR dual valve spring kit. Unless there is something comparable in price and performs better. I also looked at the short travel lifters but I'm not 100% sure on how to set them up. I might not even need them for my application. The engine I'm building is a stock bore and crank 6.0, LS3 heads, Wiseco -3cc flat tops and K1 rods with tool steel pins, summit stage 1 ghost cam, LS3 intake, VSR 7875 next gen billet on FSP manifold, Holley EFI, 4L80. Other parts I'm considering are flex fuel, BTR rocker arm shaft, and Cloyes hex adjust timing set. On the fence about using the 7875. Thinking of stepping up to an 80 but not sure about good clearance. Engine is going in a 66 Chevelle street car. I'm not trying to build a junkyard engine on the cheap. I've been gathering parts for a while and want some reliability and piece of mind. If it make 700-750, I'm happy. If it makes more, I'm still happy.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Personally I would stay away from ls7 lifters these days. They were way more popular/better back in the day then now a days. That’s because they are not the original GM ls7 lifters anymore. I’ve seen quite a few people in the past couple of years just on this forum have problems wit ls7 lifters because they are knock offs. Maybe something has changed that I don’t know about. Either way with a build like yours I’d go at least with a morel lifter. The Johnson tie bar and drop in lifters are a very good lifter but pricey. Whether you setup a short travel lifter or not they are all setup the same. You have to measure the pushrod length for a certain required preload for the lifter you are using. What also changes the preload is iron block or aluminum block. Usually the maker of the lifter will give you the specs for the preload for each application.
The following users liked this post:
Ghost23 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
Personally I would stay away from ls7 lifters these days. They were way more popular/better back in the day then now a days. That’s because they are not the original GM ls7 lifters anymore. I’ve seen quite a few people in the past couple of years just on this forum have problems wit ls7 lifters because they are knock offs. Maybe something has changed that I don’t know about. Either way with a build like yours I’d go at least with a morel lifter. The Johnson tie bar and drop in lifters are a very good lifter but pricey. Whether you setup a short travel lifter or not they are all setup the same. You have to measure the pushrod length for a certain required preload for the lifter you are using. What also changes the preload is iron block or aluminum block. Usually the maker of the lifter will give you the specs for the preload for each application.
Thanks! I have read about problems with LS7 lifters. I thought the short travels would setup the same way, just "shorter". But, everything I read stated not for the beginner to setup. I wasnt sure why people were saying that.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,245 Likes on 2,527 Posts

With short travel lifters, you need to check EVERY valve on EVERY cylinder, and might well end up with several different pushrod lengths.
Yeah. It is THAT involved.
The following users liked this post:
Ghost23 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
With short travel lifters, you need to check EVERY valve on EVERY cylinder, and might well end up with several different pushrod lengths.
That would be fine. I can do that. But, are the short travels worth it on the street?
Old 06-20-2021, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,245 Likes on 2,527 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost23
That would be fine. I can do that. But, are the short travels worth it on the street?
Not really. How high do you really NEED to rev it in daily use?
The limits of normal travel injectors are usually sufficient for most street use.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Ghost23
I went with Johnson tie bar none short travel lifters and I still came up with 4 different lengths so I would advise checking every cylinder anyways just to be on the safe side. Short travel lifters are not needed for your application. The lifters I have like i said are not short travel and they come in the copo camaros spinning to 8500 rpms
The following 3 users liked this post by Z28SteveA4:
Bob570 (06-20-2021), G Atsma (06-20-2021), Ghost23 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
I went with Johnson tie bar none short travel lifters and I still came up with 4 different lengths so I would advise checking every cylinder anyways just to be on the safe side. Short travel lifters are not needed for your application. The lifters I have like i said are not short travel and they come in the copo camaros spinning to 8500 rpms
Sounds good! I will check those out
Old 06-20-2021, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

What valve springs are people running with a boosted engine? Are the BTR platinums good for a turbo build?
Old 06-20-2021, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I unknowingly received short travel lifters with a cam swap one time on my old 454 when I wasnt supposed to. It was a disaster. First of all, I was a novice with engines so I wasnt confident in my work. I also had no idea that short travel lifters existed. I could not adjust the damn things for the life of me. I had to pull the engine and send it to a shop to have it inspected to see what the hell was going on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Smitty454:
G Atsma (06-20-2021), Ghost23 (06-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Opinion on Lifters