Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW...just got quoted for a cam install

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
If you have the tools out on a medical type cart, with all air tools and every speacalty tool that you need, including a lift, it is very possible. There really isn't that much to it.
I have a shop, with everything needed, lift etc. Have done about 12 swaps,a lot of them for people on this board, not a record I know but 2.5 hrs for cam and springs is phucking fast EVERYTHING would have to go perfect and I would bet that they would be single springs with standard size locks etc. not double springs with 7 degree locks etc. If I am wrong bravo to the installers
Old 07-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
If you have the tools out on a medical type cart, with all air tools and every speacalty tool that you need, including a lift, it is very possible. There really isn't that much to it.
If there is somebody that can do it in that time.......please send them to me. I have job opening for them!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
If there is somebody that can do it in that time.......please send them to me. I have job opening for them!
Damn skippy
Old 07-21-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, so I guess it was my first post I didn't even notice, because I read the boards about 4 times a day. I'm in the Embry-Riddle Muscle Car Association in Daytona Beach, FL. My friend Brett is doing an LS1 cam swap sometime soon too, so I'd like to see it done if it'll help me help him at all.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 01sunsetSS
fbodycentral in baltimore can do it for $600. I had mine done there. They did an excellent job and they are well known around the DC metro area. They have website www.fbodycentral.com. Check it out.
Yup. Call them. They specialized in LS1s and F-bodies.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.5 hrs is movin.
I have heard of 4 hrs and thought that was damn quick.
Hell it takes most shops 2 hrs just to install headers.
BTW the heads can defenially stay on the car.

The reason their price seems so high is because they are basically doing a H/C swap.
1200 isn't too far fetched for the H/C labor.
Most shops are around 1000 dollars, so 1200 isn't too bad.
They must now know LS1's very well or they would realize cam swaps are much easier and less time consuming then pulling the heads and swaping the cam.
What I would do is exactly what you are saying.
Find a good LS1 guy on here, throw him 400 bucks, and some food/beer, and have him teach you how to do the cam swap.
Should take about 10 hrs if he is good. Could go faster but you will be learning/ asking question, therefore it will take longer.
At 10 hrs that is still 40 bucks per hour. This wont save you a ton of money but at least you will have some fun and get some experience.

Then I would email the shop the install direction's found on here, a copy of this thread, and pic's of the install. I would probally even send them a few pic's of my *** to give them thanks.
haha,
J/K on the *** part, that could cause jail time, and angry people.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slik98z
I went to the one reputable shop near me to get a quote for a cam install. I told them i would have the cam, retainers, springs, pushrods and any specialty tools they would need i would provide to them to borrow...labor alone they quoted me for 17 HOURS!!!! 1173.39 just for labor for the install. Apparently i have no choice but to install this damn thing myself. or does anyone know a place in dc md or va that does good work and doesn't charge out the ***. I mean i asked the place which they wanted, my arm or my leg. So i doubt they'd even do the swap for me now anyhow.

Travis
I dont feel like reading all the posts, but you say your from Northern Va. Give F-body Central a call at 410-242-0404. They're located right outside Baltimore. $600 for springs and cam install, or you could just install the springs yourself and save yourself about $250. Or do it yourself like I did. I've never done any major motor work, but the cam/spring swap took me and my buddy 12 hours with no prior experience. I think its worth the effort. Its not realy hard, just time consuming. Follow the excellent writeup on www.ls1howto.com
Old 07-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH yes I almost forgot.
Need this to go along with my 1st post.

:
Old 07-21-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Bend over, grab your ankles and say cheese!!
Most guys charge between $300 and $500. Don't let them rape you.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Cam Swap

Shoot, I was quoted $1100 for a cam install+Dyno tune (unlimited pulls) now that's a deal.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

drive down to TN ill do it for 275.....hell i just did a head and cam swap on a friends car for 600bux, it still has exhaust manifolds AIR EGR and all that bullshit to make it a pain to work on....maybe i need to start raising my rates, i did a cam and spring swap on another friends car as well, 2 cams 1 head swap on my car....so i have a decent amount of experience with it.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

I have you all beat! Drive down to TEXAS and i'll do it for $150. I've been charging $175 lately cause i've been having too many cars to work on. And i thought i was the fastest from poping the hood to starting the car in 2:57 min. but 2.5 hours is crazy fast.
And yes the $150 includes cam, springs, retainers, pushrods, plugs and even a pulley if you got it.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
I have you all beat! Drive down to TEXAS and i'll do it for $150. I've been charging $175 lately cause i've been having too many cars to work on. And i thought i was the fastest from poping the hood to starting the car in 2:57 min. but 2.5 hours is crazy fast.
And yes the $150 includes cam, springs, retainers, pushrods, plugs and even a pulley if you got it.
you are a madman!!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedHotZ28
I dont feel like reading all the posts, but you say your from Northern Va. Give F-body Central a call at 410-242-0404. They're located right outside Baltimore. $600 for springs and cam install, or you could just install the springs yourself and save yourself about $250. Or do it yourself like I did. I've never done any major motor work, but the cam/spring swap took me and my buddy 12 hours with no prior experience. I think its worth the effort. Its not realy hard, just time consuming. Follow the excellent writeup on www.ls1howto.com
Is FBody Central a sponsor? Just wondering if I can freely say what I think about them...heh heh.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

I did not have a stop watch on them, and it was single springs and stock lockers. lift is only .57. they pulled a few things off the frount of the engine. One held the radiator out of the way, out came the old cam and new one went in. I bet they had the cam swap done in less than 45 mins. One change the springs drive side and the other on the passange side. I realy don't think it took them 2.5 hours. and a realy realy clean job, you could not tell they worked on the engine.
I also cost me a case of beer
Old 07-22-2004, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Man...
A few keywords for you:

Weekend
Buddies
Beer
Cam Swap
Fun....

Do the swap yourself and put the cash you would pay for an install somewhere else. With what they're tryin to charge for a cam install. You're halfway to a Moser rear...
I just bought my first nitrous WS6. I now know what I have been missing. I just wanted to say that the pic in you reply kicks ***!! I almost want to have that airbrushed on the car some where.
Great pic,
Andy
Old 07-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Banned

hell ttp does the install for less than 1500. there cam, springs all gaskets with there stage one package but that inclused all parts not just put in what you bring

Our cam packages are listed here: F-Body cam packages

If you provide parts:
Cam install with valvespring swap $350
Header install $350
Heads/Cam install $700
Old 07-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Banned

We did a straight cam swap in 2 hours... If you add valvesprings it does take another 1.5 hrs.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Another_User
Is FBody Central a sponsor? Just wondering if I can freely say what I think about them...heh heh.
They are not a sponsor. There are no sponsors in the DC area. RapidMotorsports, who did my first cam, is a solid 2.5 hrs away in PA. I like Mikey and would recommend him too, but the question went to the DC metro area.

BTW, You are allowed to post good and bad about sponsors too. Just keep it factual and polite. We recommend that you make an effort to resolve the problem with the shop owner before coming on here and blasting someone.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even to go to F-body central is 600 bucks if i bring the parts with me. Granted its better than what i was quoted but ****, 600 bux is money that could go towards a moser 9 inch or a 12 bolt, or a spec 3 clutch, etc.

If i got 2-3 guys to help me install this cam, hopefully some of them would know what they are doing, what kind of snags have people run into during the process? Considering i've never done this before, i would like to know what the usual hold ups are. Just so i dont freak out of something.

Thanks for all the replies guys, i appreciate it.
Travis