Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Familiar With Oil Pump 12571896?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Anyone Familiar With Oil Pump 12571896?

I pulled this pump out of a Gen IV 6.0 I purchased yesterday. This engine is WEIRD! The engine has all the signs of an AFM/DOD engine. Meaning it has the cam pos sensor in the timing cover. It also has that big bulge in the timing cover for the apparatus that alters cam timing. When I pulled the cam, (single bolt cam) it has the 2nd journal that has the oil slot cut all the way around. When I pulled the valley cover-I find that it's just a block off plate! There is no VLOM in the engine at all! Also, all 16 lifters are the STANDARD style of lifter with none of the other taller, spring loaded style. Is it possible someone just put regular lifters in the engine and left all other AFM/DOD bits in place? The oil pump is the high volume style meant to be used with AFM/DOD... Can I use that in a NON-AFM/DOD engine? I would guess that I can because that's what this engine is as far as I can tell. The pump is in perfect condition. This was supposed to be a running engine with no issues... always funny that.. I tore it down yesterday and find several bent push rods, several pac-manned push rods and rockers and oil that more closely resembles petroleum jelly. Im rebuilding it so none of that matters. I do plan on re-running the oil pump though. I opened it up and the gears and housing are PERFECT inside. I plan on porting the pump housing to clean it up, shimming the bypass spring (as long as this won't cause too high of a pressure?), and putting it back in the motor when I'm done. Anyway, if anyone has any information about that oil pump, I'd appreciate it. Forgot to mention, the engine has the factory style head gaskets. Nothing I have seen indicates that someone has been in the engine.. But you just never know.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:03 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Sounds like an LY6 to me. It had VVT and no DOD. 823 heads. The LY6 employed a big oil pump for the VVT, but I don’t recall the part number off hand. You’ve found this issue previously…if I’m not mistaken…with pushrods and rockers. Can you post pics please? I’ve never seen this issue in any LS I’ve ever tore down. I’d LOVE to see what your talking about.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

You bet. Give me a minute and I'll gladly post pics of what I find in EVERY LS engine I get into.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Robot Eyes!

Pac man Smile!

Here you can see the excessive wear in the pocket

Different set of rockers-same pac man smile!
Old 06-17-2022, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully the pics make it clear. You can easily see the elongated wear pattern from left to right on the ends of the push rods where they mate with the rockers, and the associated wear pattern in the rocker arm pocket. Because the push rods do not spin in LS engines is partly why the pattern appears the way it does. EVERY single LS engine I have EVER torn down has at least 1 pushrod/rocker arm like this, with most having more than 1. This 6.0 has 10 bad pushrods out of 16.. It seems the exhaust rockers were worse off than the intake rockers-but still the intakes are showing signs of wear. I'll replace all pushrods as I'm going with an aftermarket cam anyway... but the rockers will need to be replaced as well. Will buy the Summit stockers with the upgraded trunions and be done with it.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:09 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Interesting. I’ve never seen it before, on any platform. Appreciate the pics.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 441 Likes on 311 Posts

I have seen this a few times especially in engines that were not cared for properly. I don't know if the run them low on oil or if its because contamination gets in there.

Personally I try not to reuse any that I find like that.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

I've seen many like this also. Weird how some are hit and miss. Some good and bad on same engine from ones i've seen
Old 06-18-2022, 05:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

My L33 had some like that. Was also really sludged up.
easy to miss if not looking for it.

Quick Reply: Anyone Familiar With Oil Pump 12571896?