Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrod - major difference between exhaust and intake lengths

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Pushrod - major difference between exhaust and intake lengths

First off, same cam and everything as before.

Long story short I had to yank the heads to throw in new INTAKE valves. I also swapped scorpion rockers and am going to be using a trunion gm set.

I have everything back together and am measuring out the pushrod lengths to verify I don’t have anymore pvc issues.

I set the INTAKE valves to zero lash and throw in the old 7.4 pushrods and can tighten 1 - 1 1/8 turns before it’s seated.

The EXHAUST valve however (which I didn’t mess with) set at zero lash will only turn an 1/8 of a turn after setting lash. I’ve verified multiple cylinders all with the same result.

Based on the pushrod length checker 7.75 length pushrod for exhaust side 🤨

What’s the problem here???
Old 06-21-2022, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,368 Posts

First off did you measure your spring heights and lay a straight edge accross the tops of the valves to see if they are all the same height? Using the EOIC method make sure you're on the base circle of the camshaft before taking measurements for PR length. I don't see a reason why you need different length pushrods when stock LS lifters have a wide range of preload to compensate so it sounds like something is either wrong or your measurements are incorrect. Switching to a different rocker arm usually requires a different length pushrod. Preload is built into the pushrods and 22 ft lbs is the required torque to install the factory rocker arms on the factory rocker arm pedestal which I do not see in your picture.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
First off did you measure your spring heights and lay a straight edge accross the tops of the valves to see if they are all the same height? Using the EOIC method make sure you're on the base circle of the camshaft before taking measurements for PR length. I don't see a reason why you need different length pushrods when stock LS lifters have a wide range of preload to compensate so it sounds like something is either wrong or your measurements are incorrect. Switching to a different rocker arm usually requires a different length pushrod. Preload is built into the pushrods and 22 ft lbs is the required torque to install the factory rocker arms on the factory rocker arm pedestal which I do not see in your picture.
I can feel the lifter moving. I’m assuming maybe that’s my issue. It’s pushing the lifter down fairly easily when hand tightening the bolt with the Allen key? This possibly messing up my zero lash to turns indication.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,368 Posts

That'll do it..Lifters have bled down.
The following users liked this post:
z28_YOU_HO (06-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Pushrod - major difference between exhaust and intake lengths