Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression Ratio and what camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
@Gumby83 as mentioned by another member, a new GM crate LS3 maybe worth considering. The LS3 is a cam swap & valve springs away from ~550 flywheel ~475 whp. Even ~500whp is within reach with a rod mod'd LS3 intake and a few other tweaks. Chevrolet Performance LS3 430 HP Long Block Crate Engines 19432422.
Also available with intake, fuel rail, injectors, coil packs, water pump, TB etc.
Compression is 10.7 and folks boost stock compression LS3's on a regular basis. However, all my set ups are NA. Hopefully the boost commentary will be from the folks that have experience boosted LS set ups.

Of course a lot depends on desired power goals and intended use etc.
That is tempting due to new engine, new bearings and being a superior block/heads , but ultimately not reusing the terminator kit would be a nightmare, after getting it mostly wired so far i would really appreciate how easy it would be to swap the engine, just plugging in the sensors on the engine.

Bspeck82
Listen. Get a full rebuild kit on ws6store. Max effort ws6store rocker arms. Ditch the tfs heads. Port the stockers. Tfs is wayyyy overpriced for that as cast junk. Summit ghost cam. You don't need a cam degree tool. Engine is out, put it at TDC and line dot to dot. Ditch the timing set and just get a new ls2 chain. Paint oem valve covers, aftermarket stuff always leaks. Timing cover alignment tool? Lol who needs that? BTR gaskets are overpriced. Felpros will do. I probably just cut the cart in half and now you have money to spend on things that actually help.
Looking for a full rebuilt kit on ws6store, that site needs to be updated bigtime, also don't know what max effort rocker arms are, i see some stock ones with trunion upgrade. Porting the stock 317's is a option when i get the block bored. Ghost cam looks good as well, will have to research to see how it sounds as i need chop at idle. the vehicle this is going into is a ratrod 1965 C10. I was wondering if i needed a cam degree kit, i figured if i went with a different timing chain setup or different crank it wouldn't be bad to have just incase. OEM Valve covers sound appealing now, i didn't know aftermarket stuff had such a bad rep. Timing cover alignment tool, i figured it would fill in the gap between the oil pan and the timing cover, like leave it in there instead of a bunch of RTV... but now that i see that its a tool, i wont be getting it. that one slipped by. As far as Gaskets, i don't mind paying additional money for something i will never have to worry about again. piece of mind i guess.. I kind of wanted the aftermarket heads for the bling and how well the TFS heads did on richard holdeners videos, seemed like a clear winner. beating even the rec port LS3 heads and he touts more NA power, less boost needed. to hit the same power levels, with the turbo i have, the AR is a 1.10 so the additional flow will help spool the turbo earlier.

Z28SteveA4
Before you order any rotating assembly please have your block checked first. I’m sure you will need a .005 cleanup and then you need to order the right size piston for the clean up job or if you plan on punching it out .020-.030. Figure this out first. If you are not stroking maybe just look into rods and pistons. Guys boost the hell out of stock cranks if you plan on keeping close to stock cubes.
Great advice for more then one reason, it just dawned on me that since i have to have the block cleaned/bored and inspected, i may as well just get rods/pistons and get them to balance the rotating assembly and maybe rebuild the short block for me, saving me the cost of the tools required for it. in fact, i am now 100% doing this. Thanks for bringing it up and making me think about it again.

[Edit] Decided on BTR's Truck Norris Cam[/Edit]

Last edited by Gumby83; 09-11-2022 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Compression Ratio and what camshaft?