Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What lifters to use in my application and lifter preload

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What lifters to use in my application and lifter preload

So I'm rebuilding an LM7 out of my 2006 Silverado. Already got most of the parts like a complete gasket set, all new bearings, cam, rings, etc. This build will be a completely stock rebuild internally. I might add headers for a slight power increase but not sure yet. I only want this truck to be for hauling but I also don't want to cam it, so I don't need the most expensive lifters, just something a little better than OEM so they'll last me a good while. About a year ago, my LS3 in my 5th gen Camaro spun a rod bearing so I pulled it out and did a stock rebuild as well. Since it was my first engine rebuild, I didn't know many things. One thing that I kept coming across was setting lifter preload. I saw how some people did something like 0.50 lifter preload or 0.80 lifter preload. I didn't really know what the lifter preload procedure was so I followed a YouTube video from Coverman66 where he showed that in order to torque down the rocker arms, I just needed to tighten down the rocker arms until the pushrods were at 0 lash, spin the crank to verify that the lifter was at the base of the cam, and then just torque them down to 22ft-lb. This method worked for me but I only had the car a few days after the rebuild before I sold it. Should I follow that approach again for my LM7 or is there a different way to do it? Like I said, I'm just a bit confused when I see people talking about setting lifter preload. Any suggestions on lifters are welcome. TIA
Old 09-11-2022, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,147 Likes on 2,454 Posts

If you are rebuilding with all stock unmodified parts, a set of 7.400 pushrods and LS7 lifters (the default replacement lifter nowadays) will assemble correctly and lifter preload will determine itself.
HOWEVER, if you are milling the heads and/or block, preload and pushrod length need to be checked.
There are innumerable threads here on doing this, mostly uniform in technique.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,041 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by 8driann
So I'm rebuilding an LM7 out of my 2006 Silverado. Already got most of the parts like a complete gasket set, all new bearings, cam, rings, etc. This build will be a completely stock rebuild internally. I might add headers for a slight power increase but not sure yet. I only want this truck to be for hauling but I also don't want to cam it, so I don't need the most expensive lifters, just something a little better than OEM so they'll last me a good while. About a year ago, my LS3 in my 5th gen Camaro spun a rod bearing so I pulled it out and did a stock rebuild as well. Since it was my first engine rebuild, I didn't know many things. One thing that I kept coming across was setting lifter preload. I saw how some people did something like 0.50 lifter preload or 0.80 lifter preload. I didn't really know what the lifter preload procedure was so I followed a YouTube video from Coverman66 where he showed that in order to torque down the rocker arms, I just needed to tighten down the rocker arms until the pushrods were at 0 lash, spin the crank to verify that the lifter was at the base of the cam, and then just torque them down to 22ft-lb. This method worked for me but I only had the car a few days after the rebuild before I sold it. Should I follow that approach again for my LM7 or is there a different way to do it? Like I said, I'm just a bit confused when I see people talking about setting lifter preload. Any suggestions on lifters are welcome. TIA
It is .050" or .080", NOT 1/2" to over 3/4"!!!!! Unless you're talking metric, which I doubt. I'm not trying to be a hard ***, but this is how people perpetuate incorrect mathematics and terminology. Like 'my new cam has almost 280° lift, and .650" duration!!' Sorry, but it drives me up the wall!!! If I wasn't a Toolmaker most of my adult life, it probably wouldn't bother me. I'm not perfect either. I still type ft/lbs, because that was how torque was referred to back in my youth, when its pretty obvious correct terminology is lb/ft. Anyway.....Best of luck to you.......
Old 09-12-2022, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The higher preload say .80 is preferred. There was a time a little while ago where .50 or even .30 was preferred. I never agreed with .30 and now disapprove of .50. This has nothing to do with quieting noisy lifters. Larger preloads stiffen the valve train. The tighter the preload the more it acts like a solid. Less pump up and float. Set them tighter, but don't get ridiculous like say setting .100 preload for a .120 travel lifter.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,147 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
It is .050" or .080", NOT 1/2" to over 3/4"!!!!! Unless you're talking metric, which I doubt. I'm not trying to be a hard ***, but this is how people perpetuate incorrect mathematics and terminology. Like 'my new cam has almost 280° lift, and .650" duration!!' Sorry, but it drives me up the wall!!! If I wasn't a Toolmaker most of my adult life, it probably wouldn't bother me. I'm not perfect either. I still type ft/lbs, because that was how torque was referred to back in my youth, when its pretty obvious correct terminology is lb/ft. Anyway.....Best of luck to you.......
I TOTALLY get this ^^^^^^^! Messed up math always tweaks my normally cool, calm, (yeah, right...) composure .
It clearly demostrates someone not knowing what they are talking about.
The following users liked this post:
rednari2 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,041 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I TOTALLY get this ^^^^^^^! Messed up math always tweaks my normally cool, calm, (yeah, right...) composure .
It clearly demostrates someone not knowing what they are talking about.
Gotta love it-Post after mine, almost 1-1/2 hours later, and a different guy, obviously just dont get it. You can lead 'em to water.... Don'tcha love it?!
Old 09-17-2022, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
when its pretty obvious correct terminology is lb/ft. Anyway.....Best of luck to you.......
It's lb-ft , not lb/ft
Get your **** together, you're confusing people.

Quick Reply: What lifters to use in my application and lifter preload