Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep breaking valve springs but only on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Heavy4Fast
UPDATE: I was, in fact, getting into coil bind. After measuring install height I was on average 1-one thousandths out from it, so safe to say that's my issue. To everyone that responded, thank you!!
Now you need to figure out why.
The following users liked this post:
2Heavy4Fast (09-18-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts

Turbobuick6 and Che70velle gave excellent advice. My question is, who did the valve job? Just because they were new from the manufacturer (if they were) means nothing. I broke a spring once on a brand new AFR head that someone at AFR screwed up the installed height from the get go. You can have a spring good for .800", but if it can only make .700" lift before coil bind (also known as stacking), it doesn't matter. Turbo works at PAC, so Id pay close attention to what he advises. There's also this; I may be old school, but to me, Melling is pumps, and PAC is springs. In other words, if PAC makes a pump, I'm still going with Melling. If Melling makes springs, I'm still going with PAC. My train of thought isn't limited to just these two companies. I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from. IMHO, it sounds like the valve job is all over the place for installed height, or possibly the cam grinder screwed up. Best of luck to you.....
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
2Heavy4Fast (09-18-2022), G Atsma (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Heavy4Fast
UPDATE: I was, in fact, getting into coil bind. After measuring install height I was on average 1-one thousandths out from it, so safe to say that's my issue. To everyone that responded, thank you!!

What was your measured installed height? If I am reading the correctly, you were at 1.750" installed height?
Old 09-16-2022, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

It's possible the seats are grossly mis matched on depth.
I had a go-around with this once ,, had two heads fully rebuilt for a dune buggy, (VW)
When I got them from eh sop you could see with your eyes they were about .1 inch different depth..
Shop claimed you just use the tappet adjustment to match them..

Took a in person chat to get my money back.

Next shop had to redo both and weld one to get them the same.

Thank goodness they were cheap stockers..

The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
2Heavy4Fast (09-18-2022), G Atsma (09-16-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Thanks for updating this thread.
Sure thing. I've lurked here for a while and have come to really appreciate it when people take the time to update so that the next person who comes along with the same issue can definitively narrow down a likely solution. Now that the account is made though, I plan on frequenting back to hopefully be able to help some other people too if I come across some questions/problems that I have experience with. I keep finding this place to be a HUGE wealth of knowledge, no matter how much time someone has spent holding a wrench. Thanks again for the help!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2Heavy4Fast:
Che70velle (09-19-2022), rednari2 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
It's possible the seats are grossly mis matched on depth.
I had a go-around with this once ,, had two heads fully rebuilt for a dune buggy, (VW)
When I got them from eh sop you could see with your eyes they were about .1 inch different depth..
Shop claimed you just use the tappet adjustment to match them..

Took a in person chat to get my money back.

Next shop had to redo both and weld one to get them the same.

Thank goodness they were cheap stockers..
Mismatched seats is where my issue originated from, as well. Even with the springs being recommended for the exact cam, I shouldn't have gotten lazy and complacent and not actually measured their install height. In the end it cost me more money and a lot more time. Nothing will humble you quicker, or make you stick to the "process" quicker, than assembling engines with aftermarket performance parts! Chances are always high that every corner you cut will just be another area you'll have tear back down to and revisitn. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, thanks. You absolutely nailed the issue I was dealing with too.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6
Now you need to figure out why.
I actually JUST madea comment about that right before I saw your comment. Turns out that the seats weren't all the height, thus causing my spring install height to vary too much OEM tolerances. The banks 1 head was fine, but since I had to go with higher lift springs on bank 2, I had to switch out the others that that weren't wrong, too.

Quick Reply: Keep breaking valve springs but only on passenger side