Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Timing chain - Is this normal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,005 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by TableLeg
Thanks for the reply. I haven't changed the sprocket as it doesn't look particularly worn. It's only a pretty much stock motor and having a refresh so figured I put on a new chain to the standard x24 sprocket.
One really good rule of thumb when it comes to chains and gears/sprockets-ALWAYS replace the entire setup, chain, sprockets, and tensioners (if any). Whether on a motorcycle, or cam drives, you should never replace just one item. I'm not saying this will fix whatever is causing this, because you have a LOT of slop, whatever the reason. I have a double roller Rollmaster setup in my garage from my old Darton sleeved, 427 LS1. It has only about 30,000 miles on it. I was really tempted to buy just a new, later model driven sprocket/gear for my LS7, which I'd need because the cam sensor location was in the valley cover of the LS1, and it's in the timing cover of the LS7, so there's no way to use the upper gear, as it can't send a signal to the sensor. It's in great shape, and has much less "slop" in it than your new chain. I'm going to scrap it, though, partly because the chain could actually be put on backwards, so it would be turning the opposite way than it did the first 30,000 miles, if that makes sense. I guess I'm pretty picky. It may not fix your issue, but if I were you, I'd replace all 3 components. You have a new chain. Whether you use it, or buy another, hopefully tighter one, is up to you. But I'd buy a new set of gears to go with whatever chain you end up running......

Quick Reply: New Timing chain - Is this normal???