Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Timing chain too tight?

So I’m putting together a LQ4 for boost. Block is line honed. Based on that, I ordered a Cloyes set which .005 shorter to compensate for shorter distance between crack and camshaft. I tried it today and it came out tightest I ever seen on these. I’ve seen some with 3/4” or so slack. This has maybe 1/8” slack. Now, while it feels great to see finally one came out with little to no slack, making me also wonder if it’s “too tight” and affects cam bearings or what exactly happens when motor gets hot. What you guys think…

Old 12-10-2022, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Line boring/honing when done properly shouldn't change the centers of the cam or the crank, so you shouldn't need a shorter chain?

Old 12-10-2022, 11:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Well, it depends on how much material is removed to get the main bores back to the correct size.
Typically a line hone doesn’t remove much material.
A line bore will depending on how far off things were.

I’m not sure I would have opted for the shorter chain unless the machine shop advised it.

I use the single roller hex adjust on my blocks, both alum and both align honed. The chains are pretty tight.
Although they don’t stay nice and tight after some miles.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 11:48 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Agree with Ron and PDX. A hone won’t really move the centers, especially on an iron block. A line hone really just “kisses” material, whereas a line bore will remove a significant amount. As said, I’d probably opt for the standard length timing set and return this one. Timing chain slack, or play, is needed to allow for thermal variances, harmonic transfer, and unwanted cam bearing wear. A double chain set won’t stretch as fast as a single chain, but will stretch eventually.

Quick Reply: Timing chain too tight?