Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod Bolt Prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Rod Bolt Prices

Took my engine to the machine shop today and he said he didn't want to use the ARP bolts I bought because they could warp the bearings if the rods aren't resized. I don't blame him, I didn't want to use them anyway.

So I'm looking at GM stock replacement bolts and the prices are $12 to $19 EACH. Are these the prices I'm expected to pay for stock rod bolts?

Are Elgin's a good option? It looks like I can get a set for about $60.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Do you not have any oem ones now? they are good for several torque cycles.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bthomas
Do you not have any oem ones now? they are good for several torque cycles.
The engine was gone through by a junkyard once before when I bought it. I don't really trust anything that they used and I doubt the builder will be willing to risk his credibility with those used bolts or else I would.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can’t he check the length of the bolt to see if they are still good? Can he resize rod ends?

I’d probably buy a used set of hbeams. Then I’d feel like pistons too since I’d be rebalancing it. I’d be like more stroke while im here. Ofcourse I’d need more port volume and duration…oh and bigger valves..
The following users liked this post:
Coy (08-02-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,041 Likes on 741 Posts

Maybe I'm totally out of the loop, but I have never heard of this....
Old 07-28-2023, 08:44 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Maybe I'm totally out of the loop, but I have never heard of this....
So Mike, as your aware, if you add clamping force, you will distort objects. Rods are picky. If they are final honed at 2.xxx @ 50 ft lbs, then you’d better final torque them at 50 ft lbs, or you’ll distort the big end bore. If you in turn, throw a set of ARP rod bolts at the same rod…..which is desirable because the ARP bolt is going to be a stronger fastener than an OEM fastener 9 times out of 10…the ARP bolt will usually require more ft lbs to achieve sufficient bolt stretch than the OEM bolt. This little modification (greater clamping force) will distort the rod big end. Will it distort the big end enough to render the rod unusable? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no…but it is distorted. I have a Mitutoyo dial bore gauge that doesn’t lie. I’d bet you’ve got some Mitutoyo gauges yourself.
There are bearing companies that offer a .002 Oversize (OD) rod bearing for the cracked-cap OEM LS rod that are needed from time to time to help get a distorted cracked cap rod back to round. Non cracked-cap rods don’t apply here. You simply cut the aftermarket rod cap .020-.030 and re-hone it back to spec.
Old 07-30-2023, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Che70velle
So Mike, as your aware, if you add clamping force, you will distort objects. Rods are picky. If they are final honed at 2.xxx @ 50 ft lbs, then you’d better final torque them at 50 ft lbs, or you’ll distort the big end bore. If you in turn, throw a set of ARP rod bolts at the same rod…..which is desirable because the ARP bolt is going to be a stronger fastener than an OEM fastener 9 times out of 10…the ARP bolt will usually require more ft lbs to achieve sufficient bolt stretch than the OEM bolt. This little modification (greater clamping force) will distort the rod big end. Will it distort the big end enough to render the rod unusable? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no…but it is distorted. I have a Mitutoyo dial bore gauge that doesn’t lie. I’d bet you’ve got some Mitutoyo gauges yourself.
There are bearing companies that offer a .002 Oversize (OD) rod bearing for the cracked-cap OEM LS rod that are needed from time to time to help get a distorted cracked cap rod back to round. Non cracked-cap rods don’t apply here. You simply cut the aftermarket rod cap .020-.030 and re-hone it back to spec.
Thank you for elaborating. I appreciate it, Scott. As you are probably aware, I have never messed with cracked cap rods, so that was the reason for my ignorance. Learned something new today.....
Che70velle (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by benflynn
Can’t he check the length of the bolt to see if they are still good? Can he resize rod ends?

I’d probably buy a used set of hbeams. Then I’d feel like pistons too since I’d be rebalancing it. I’d be like more stroke while im here. Ofcourse I’d need more port volume and duration…oh and bigger valves..
This sport/hobby of ours is an addiction, I swear. Once you start, you can't stop!! No know cure or prescription, except maybe more money and more parts, can help get the next "fix," lol......
G Atsma (07-30-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 223 Likes on 167 Posts

Why not just get the rods re-sized and use the ARP bolts? I think it cost me $80 when I had it done last year.
grinder11 (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bob570
Why not just get the rods re-sized and use the ARP bolts? I think it cost me $80 when I had it done last year.
True! Hard to beat ARP stuff! Since OP already has them, if I was in his position, that's exactly what I would do....
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
Bob570 (08-01-2023), G Atsma (08-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Rod Bolt Prices