Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 and 6.0 oil pans same? gen 3 and 4 same pressure valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 5.3 and 6.0 oil pans same? gen 3 and 4 same pressure valve?

Do the 5.3 and 6.0 use the same oil pan? Whats the difference between gen 3 and 4 pans? And why does one have a pressure valve on the bottom and can be one used one either engine. I read you just remove and use a block off plug? I have the spectra gmp53c with the pressure valve which i think was 5.3 gen 4 but am curious if they can be interchanged.

Amazon.com: Spectra Premium GMP53A Oil Pan : Automotive Amazon.com: Spectra Premium GMP53A Oil Pan : Automotive
Amazon.com: Spectra Premium GMP53C Oil Pan : Automotive Amazon.com: Spectra Premium GMP53C Oil Pan : Automotive

Old 01-11-2024, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

As far as I know, all 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 Gen III pans are the same for the full sized trucks (GMT 800), 2wd, 4x4, all the same.

The Gen IV has that valve for the DOD/AFM stuff, if the engine came with it- not all had it. You probably aren't using that anyways, so just plug it. Aside from that, Gen III and IV are pretty much interchange.

I don't know much of intermediate shallow pans or the batwing pans, so I can't comment on those. Generally though, all bolt up just fine, you just gotta use the appropriate pickup tube and windage tray. Check your pickup tube-to-pan clearance.

Check out ICT Billet website called LS Oil Pan Swap Guide. It has dimensions for all of the other LS engines in different vehicles. I don't see anything on the full sized vans though. Some had oil dipstick location in different locations. That LS2 Trailblazer oil pan is nuts with that hole for the axle shaft I suppose? 🤷
Old 01-16-2024, 01:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I will keep it in my mind.

Quick Reply: 5.3 and 6.0 oil pans same? gen 3 and 4 same pressure valve?