Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of labor for cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Every day I'm reminded that going to college for automotive service and deciding to never work in the field again after 1 year at a dealership was STILL a great investment. I probably have saved upwards of $50K in labor costs over the last 25 years by never having to take any of my vehicles in for work. I couldn't afford the car hobby if I had to pay for labor costs. Sheesh.
I should’ve done the same and or I should’ve went to college so I could’ve had more money to pay other people to work on my stuff.
Speaking of mechanics, I know several that are in debt trying to pay for their $20k empty tool boxes.. Insane..
Old 04-05-2024, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Every day I'm reminded that going to college for automotive service and deciding to never work in the field again after 1 year at a dealership was STILL a great investment. I probably have saved upwards of $50K in labor costs over the last 25 years by never having to take any of my vehicles in for work. I couldn't afford the car hobby if I had to pay for labor costs. Sheesh.
This is true. Im lucky I had a dad that built cars, so I learned everything I know from him. I hadn't really worked on anything in years. I got my Z and it was like getting back on a bike.
Old 07-14-2024, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, to do it right, lifters, head gaskets, pump, pulleys (harmonic balancer, idler pulleys), hardware, fluids, if auto, a higher stalled converter, trans cooler, cam kit (including pushrods, springs etc)
Heads? maybe needs resurfaced, redone
Bottom end?
OR just slap a new ls2 or ls3 in it and call it a day. I am doing the latter.
Old 07-14-2024, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 236 Posts

After a few years in the army I worked at a Chev dealership as a line mechanic for a couple of years. Then went to work for a manufacturing company. I can't imagine bending over the late model cars we have today. My back would be toast in about an hour.
Still love to do hot rods.

Quick Reply: Cost of labor for cam swap