Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pondering cam swap...input?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pondering cam swap...input?

well up till now i've sworn i was going to lay off the motor and stick to bolt-ons and nitrous only for fear of ruining a good thing (i mean since my motor runs pretty strong as is)...however, now i've been given the opportunity to pick up a 221/221 .550 lift cam for free...i figure it might be worth it since i can also get pushrods and springs on the cheap and i have 2 free retunes from the shop that tuned my car the first time.....

does this cam seem worth the install cost and the peace of mind i lose from opening up an untouched motor??? (i know i might be paranoid about this but i have a friend who did H/C on his TA and popped the motor 3 days later so i worry..lol) Will i have any driveabiliy or idle problems with this cam???? how about power??? anyone want to estimate some dyno numbers??? im kind torn over what to do about this and i coudl use some opinions...i was kind of hoping this cam would put me solidly in the 11.70 range on a good day???
Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spec on your cam looks mild if its a 114.cant see you will have drivelity problems with it.as far as power its anybodys guess.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

what's your goal? More power, go faster, lopey exhaust note? A free cam wouldn't be reason enuff to stab it for me. I'd define my goal first & build on it. That freebie may not fit the equation. FWIW ne way.

WG
Old 08-06-2004, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

I concur.just because its free.maybe you want more after that.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:18 AM
11 Second Club

Cool ponding cam swap

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
anybody?
I have a 216 cam in my car. With a 525 lift. And i saw a 30 HP inprovement to the rear wheels.

02 CAMARO SS
216 CAM
3200 STALL CONVERTER
DYNO MAX ULTRA FLO MUFFLER
BFG DRAG RADIALS

Best et 12.29 at 110.00.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

i forgot to mention my intentions for the car....i AM after a fairly stock sounding idle which i THINK this cam will give me. i DON'T by any means want the giant cams some of my friends have. i don't want to stall out at lights, i don't want to start the hot-start the car and have it stumble like crazy. i'm really just after a little more horsepower to help out the decent times i've run anyway. i was just looking for comparison from anyone that has this cam or a similar one (a 220 TR or something, i know those are popular).

i planned to cam the car at one point then shyed away from the idea, and now im really just debating whether or not i want to open up a motor that people have told me runs on the strong side for what it is. keep the opinions coming i need all the input i can get. thanx

- Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 01:38 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

going off the specs it looks like a B1/T1, great proven cams. with your mods and that cam you should have no problem hitting your goal of 11.7. if it is indeed a lunati/mti B1/T1 i'd ****** it up in a heartbeat if its free.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:25 AM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
i forgot to mention my intentions for the car....i AM after a fairly stock sounding idle which i THINK this cam will give me. i DON'T by any means want the giant cams some of my friends have. i don't want to stall out at lights, i don't want to start the hot-start the car and have it stumble like crazy. i'm really just after a little more horsepower to help out the decent times i've run anyway. i was just looking for comparison from anyone that has this cam or a similar one (a 220 TR or something, i know those are popular).

i planned to cam the car at one point then shyed away from the idea, and now im really just debating whether or not i want to open up a motor that people have told me runs on the strong side for what it is. keep the opinions coming i need all the input i can get. thanx

- Mike
Go with the 216 cam. 3O HP to rear wheels.It will idle smooth.But get rid of Nittos. Replace with BFGs!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have an A4, so I would not expect to pick up 30hp, more like 20. It should run close to stock with the right tune. I think that cam is perfect if you plan on keeping the stock heads. Other factors: Since you have a '98, and you've visited the track a few times, track time + miles = wear. It might be a good idea/time to upgrade your springs, rods, & retainers anyway. I say go for it, especially at that price. Good Luck
Old 08-07-2004, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

I put in my B1 last night and it fired right up with a slight idle hunt.After a warm up and running it around you can tell it has a cam but it has real nice manners and taking it up to 4K you can really feel the difference.I like it.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nocturnal SS
But get rid of Nittos. Replace with BFGs!
i've always been somewhat of a nitto loyalist. my current set has 15K miles of street driving plus 50 track passes on them and i still see 1.6 60 foots on them! i've heard BFGs hook great but don't last anywhere near that long and im not into changing wheels and tires when i want the car to hook.

to everyone else, thanx for the input, i'll be finding out if the cam is still available early next week so ill post an update...thanx.