Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power can the LS1 handle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nddragon01
I've never seen one of those...are these actual numbers, or are they numbers the ricer drivers told you they're making? I highly highly doubt they're making that much from a direct from the Honda showroom engine...maybe an aftermarket built engine, but then that's not a Honda anymore.
might wanna check the post a few up from yours. 400whp isnt hard to make on a stock engine. do some research and youll be surprised.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
might wanna check the post a few up from yours. 400whp isnt hard to make on a stock engine. do some research and youll be surprised.

You might want to check the posts above my original one...I saw the cars with the 700+hp they claim to have. I don't doubt them, but I won't believe it until I see the actual dyno posted either (one forum it looked like the guy tried to post the dyno sheets, but they showed up as red x's on my computer). Also, I said try making that from a STOCK engine block. Did you read down and see the guy's setup at all?

Let's see...his block was a.....B18C1, not the engine he bought the car new with.

PS - I know 400 horse isn't hard to make, but thank you for pointing that out to me.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 52172
Same goes to you nothing to brag about. I will just call you an old piece of **** if you keep calling me young. On top of it all it is not possible to build a very streeetable 346 that puts down 500whp. I don't know what kind of fairy land you are from where the 500whp 346 f bodies are streetable? End of discussion!
P:S If your talkin 500 fwhp then its a different story as that best describes my well designed smog legal package.
You've just well more than proved your lack of experience...There are a good 10 or so making over 500rwhp with very mild 230's cams in 346's here on this board. Not only that, they're also holding a bare minimum of 420rwtq, and a good bit over 300rwtq @ 2-2500rpm. You have a LOT of learning to do bud...
I'm not by any means an old timer. If fact, my age would probably shock the many that I've dealt with on this board. It just goes to show that maturity and age are in completely different categories...You, sir, have a lot of maturing to do, no matter your age. That you've made very obvious...So far you've managed to come off like a 14yo *****. In the future, removing your head from your *** before making such juvenile comments could change things a bit. I sincerely bid you good luck with that...
Old 10-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nddragon01
You might want to check the posts above my original one...I saw the cars with the 700+hp they claim to have. I don't doubt them, but I won't believe it until I see the actual dyno posted either (one forum it looked like the guy tried to post the dyno sheets, but they showed up as red x's on my computer). Also, I said try making that from a STOCK engine block. Did you read down and see the guy's setup at all?

Let's see...his block was a.....B18C1, not the engine he bought the car new with.

PS - I know 400 horse isn't hard to make, but thank you for pointing that out to me.

The b18c1 is what Integras come with. his motor consist of factory block,crank and head. the only aftermarket block available for hondas are the DART which cost over 2k. and not needed. most drag hondas cars still run factory:

block (resleeved)
head
crank
waterpump
oilpump
bearings
cams
caps
and original tranny

Honda made a good motor, their weakest link are rods and pistons. there isnt even such a thing as an afetermarket honda head because the stock one flows so much the honda crowd runs oem everything except rods and pistons. there is a lot people dont realise about these cars.

Last edited by TransAm; 10-29-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAm
The b18c1 is what Integras come with. his motor consist of factory block,crank and head. the only aftermarket block available for hondas are the DART which cost over 2k. and not needed. most drag hondas cars still run factory:

block (resleeved)
head
crank
waterpump
oilpump
bearings
cams
caps
and original tranny

Honda made a good motor, their weakest link are rods and pistons. there isnt even such a thing as an afetermarket honda head because the stock one flows so much the honda crowd runs oem everything except rods and pistons. there is a lot people dont realise about these cars.

If such is the case, then I stand corrected. Obviously I do not know a lot about hondas, other than these super-powered cars never seem to show up in person for me. Ah well, not knowing a lot about Hondas doesn't phase me. I'll spend my time learning more about the LS1.

And I applaud you for stating your argument in a mature manner, not like others on this board (and in this thread) who prefer to belittle each other. Thank you for being grown up in correcting me.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

indeed...
i can respect ANY fast car...although, doing it in a honda is obviously not MY thing, but some people are in to that.
i deffinately wouldnt say there are TONS of them around, i have yet to see one in person or even hear of one around here and im in DFW...im sure there are some here, but regardless.

different strokes for different folks...things would be pretty damned boring if EVERYONE wanted to do things exactly the same.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
indeed...
i can respect ANY fast car...although, doing it in a honda is obviously not MY thing, but some people are in to that.
i deffinately wouldnt say there are TONS of them around, i have yet to see one in person or even hear of one around here and im in DFW...im sure there are some here, but regardless.

different strokes for different folks...things would be pretty damned boring if EVERYONE wanted to do things exactly the same.
BINGO. Someone should lock this.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My combo from last year made right at 700 RWHP with stock block, crank and rods. My cars power and mph progression with nitrous was as follows:

520 RWHP 10.50 @ 128.5
560 RWHP 10.10 @133.5
600 RWHP 9.87 @ 138.9
Made 700 RWHP and the cars drivetrain would break by 40'. Should have been good for 150 mph easy. Never hurt the engine.

My new combo is twin 67 turbo's, at one point I considered running an aluminum block (ended up with iron), I asked Kurt Urban at Wheel to Wheel (the man that made the 1560 FWHP and is my engine builder) if he has actually seen an aluminum block break due to sheer stress and he said no.

People that are breaking these parts have detonation, and that is what kills parts. So to answer your question I would say that you can make 1000 FWHP with stock block, crank and rods on a turbo setup, but no one really knows the real breaking point. The KEY is very good tuning, cold plugs, lots of octane, etc.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

indeed...

That's how I see it.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAm
500hp on pump gas not rwhp though.. its front wheels lol but yeah there are street honda's running 9's at upper 140's low 150's. fully registered,insured full interior. if you looked into what its takes to run 10's in a honda you would be amazed at how little it cost. when your car weights 2000-2500 lbs it doesnt take much to move.times have changed fellas.

Or you could get a first gen rx7 which is the same weight if not a little lighter AND put an LS1 in it... seems like a no brainer to me.

On the streets of miami one of the fastest cars out here is an 85 rx7 with a built 302 with a turbo and a lot of Nitrous. It weighs MUCH less than 2000lbs, in fact it was so light that my buddy and I picked up the back end of the car.

I got an 89 rx7 myself which is a little heavier but I will still be around 2400lbs and have the aid of an H/C LS1 with some nitrous. I'll need to be worried about the Rear end breaking on me long before I worry about running out of ways to make the engine make more power.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

The guy who started this thread hasnt had anything to say? wonder why? If he does read this you should check out hinsonsupercars.com brian hinson is running 8's with his turboed lsx in his fd rx7. He did my buddies subframe for him and tuned his ecu. As for lsx motors not being able to handle 1000hp I think theres some members on this board that are.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:45 AM
11 Second Club

Ugh You riceboys are pissing me off!

By the time you make 500 Hp your car is revving too High. Whereas torque has already pulled us a couple of cars away from you and once my 60; is lower thn yours, its really hard to catch up, unless you are doubleing my power and whatnot.

Bottom line, the rule of physics is the LSX engines are going to las much longer than your sub 2 liter engines, no matter how built it is. Hell unless you are Suoper Built like F1.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol why was a thread thats 2 years old brought back from the dead?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

If it is going in an RX-7, then go with a stroker setup. All motor stroker with good heads and a large cam can get you 9's in the RX-7. And you will have power everywhere.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng

The Ford Cobra has been built to right around 1,700 HP on methanol and turbo. Bottom end on that block, the whole block in fact, is a joke compared to the LS1 block. An LS1 properly built and tuned should exceed that number by a good margin.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development
Think what ever you want. 03 04 cobra blocks are best suited for lots of hp. It's funny I or anyone else can buy a Cobra and add 2.8 Kenny Bell blower, full bolt-on's, S/C cam. And net around 1,000 hp. Yea, and the stock block is ok. You're right Cobra's are a joke.

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...obra03_28L.htm
Old 08-25-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy ****! Very old posts! Even has old post from the Colonel. The strange thing is I was just thinking about this post from two years ago the other day when I heard someone talking about 500HP Civics. I started in and said that I would rather put an LS1 in a RX7 and they said that was Dumb because the rotary motor was such a superior motor to the to a Corvett Motor. They didnt know what an LS1 was though. What ever, To each his own I guess. But If It’s nothing to make 500HP on all these 2.0 liter engines and then drop them in a civic, then how come I never see them tearing them up at the track?

Last edited by Oatmeal; 08-26-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point about never really seeing them around. That's why I was surprised when I asked a guy I know how he did at the track last weekend and he said 11.70's at 125 (no traction) I was like wow a ricer with a car that actually runs and isn't just waiting for this or that.

Seems lately, I'm the one with all excuses why I can't race. I'm getting closer though!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Rotary actually is badass. And putting in an ls1 motor really is stupid. Why not upgrade to a 13b setup, or go crazy with four rotars. What makes most people brag about the rotary is 1. how it only has around 4 to 5 moving parts vs. our 20+ moving parts. And 2. how the engine operates in a circle spinning motion, connecting to the driveshaft vs. again our v8's that bounce up and down to spin a crank, to spin the driveshaft. Rx7 needs major maintence, thats the down side. Replacing the seals between the rotars cost around 2k. It burns oil naturally as part of it's operation, so you gotta keep it in check. Was designed so light that some parts need upgrading, radiator, intercooler, and parts. Number one cause of death in fx7 owners is fire, from the spark plugs due to bad spark plug seals.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
Rotary actually is badass. And putting in an ls1 motor really is stupid. Why not upgrade to a 13b setup, or go crazy with four rotars. What makes most people brag about the rotary is 1. how it only has around 4 to 5 moving parts vs. our 20+ moving parts. And 2. how the engine operates in a circle spinning motion, connecting to the driveshaft vs. again our v8's that bounce up and down to spin a crank, to spin the driveshaft. Rx7 needs major maintence, thats the down side. Replacing the seals between the rotars cost around 2k. It burns oil naturally as part of it's operation, so you gotta keep it in check. Was designed so light that some parts need upgrading, radiator, intercooler, and parts. Number one cause of death in fx7 owners is fire, from the spark plugs due to bad spark plug seals.
You sound like one of the guys on the RX7 club website. Your clueless. Come down to Beech Bend sometime and I will show you how stupid it is to put an LS1 in an RX7.

Andrew
Old 09-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since when is it nothing for hondas to have 500hp?
i havent come across any with that much yet, hmm
http://www.fastfour.net/Mike/mike706.mpg

Quick Reply: How much power can the LS1 handle?