Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HPE "S" cam!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not sure if im going with the PS or SSW's? so if I did go with the stainless...should I be looing at 39xish?
Old 08-14-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
im not sure if im going with the PS or SSW's? so if I did go with the stainless...should I be looing at 39xish?
Who makes the "ssw's"?

Chuck
Old 08-14-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

stainless steel works headers and y pipe
Old 08-14-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

stainless steel works headers and y pipe
That's what I thought... I can't recall ever seeing any come through the shop, so I don't know how good or bad they are. We use Kooks on most of our stuff... Dynatech's are pretty decent also.

It's really hard to say what the cam will make on any given setup, beings we've only tested it one car so far. Heck, maybe this cam will make more power on stainless works or pacesetter headers! Who knows.... But I'd say you'll probably be in that ballpark with it for sure.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-14-2004, 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

Default Driveablity

Well the car that this cam was put in was my 99ss. Hpe did a wonderfull job on all the work that was done. As for the driveablity, I dont think it could get any better. It has great idle caracteristics, along with all the great power. That probably has alot to do with Hpe tuning skills ( Charles Anders ). If you are ever in the Houston area stop by the HPE shop and meet them, they are a great crew.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

So a stock car with LSX 90mm intake setup/headers/BIG cam and then maybe a cutout and full tune throw in makes 420 to the wheels at a 6900 shift point? Why not be more forthcoming on ALL the mods done or tell me what the cam added to the package? Sounds like the secrets are deeper then the cam specs.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennster
So a stock car with LSX 90mm intake setup/headers/BIG cam and then maybe a cutout and full tune throw in makes 420 to the wheels at a 6900 shift point? Why not be more forthcoming on ALL the mods done or tell me what the cam added to the package? Sounds like the secrets are deeper then the cam specs.

You are right, I failed to mention the car has a cut out. However I will note, with the wide lobe seperation this cam has, it is only worth about 5 hp.

There is no such thing as a perfect cam. If there was, there wouldn't be 20 threads about cams going on the FIRST page alone of this section on ls1tech right now!

I am not out to get all the cam business on ls1tech with this cam. I am just trying to make the money I spend on this website each month worth it.

Chuck
Old 08-14-2004, 11:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Nope, no secrets really as everyone in Houston was practically here for the swap and knows Scooter too along with a lot of people at SAM here in Houston and in Dallas. Chuck did say that the pull he has on here was with the cutout in the first few posts. The pulls without the cutout were only a little down because of the wide seperation making the exhaust MUCH less important than usual. Some people were disapointed that the car didn't make a lot more with the cutout but you won't usually see a lot of difference with such low overlap. It might make more or less on some dynos but you can see the numbers and the curve. This cam would also work alright with NOS on it's own with the wider seperation and less overlap as well but we will also have an NOS cam as well that is more setup for that.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

I have the other top secret HPE cam the "R" cam
Old 08-15-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sc65ooter
Well the car that this cam was put in was my 99ss. Hpe did a wonderfull job on all the work that was done. As for the driveablity, I dont think it could get any better. It has great idle caracteristics, along with all the great power. That probably has alot to do with Hpe tuning skills ( Charles Anders ). If you are ever in the Houston area stop by the HPE shop and meet them, they are a great crew.
I would have to totaly agree,my A4 stalled car runs flawless !!!
Old 08-15-2004, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Listen guys,I don't want a pissing match.I see stock motor and then a multitude of mods added,some not listed in the first post[cutout/tuning]and heres the gains with a "cam available soon".I think most consumers would be impressed by a cam added "blah,blah" to a lsx/header/cutout and then tuned stock LS1.I'm sure its a great cam,good luck.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:44 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Listen guys,I don't want a pissing match.I see stock motor and then a multitude of mods added,some not listed in the first post[cutout/tuning]and heres the gains with a "cam available soon".I think most consumers would be impressed by a cam added "blah,blah" to a lsx/header/cutout and then tuned stock LS1.I'm sure its a great cam,good luck.
Glenn I understand your point and I think it's a very good one. Chuck was just in a very enthusiastic mood right then and got a little ahead of himself but this cam has worked extremey well so far so he posted the info. I'm also a very sceptical person as everyone on the internet knows!
Old 08-15-2004, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

This is a good cam and one of a few shops in this area let alone in this state that are honest and very helpful with there info. As for the haters and the naysayers you keep doing what you do and others will do there's. This car is now first rate car and I know for a fact you couldn't get as much info on it as you are from these guys. I am from Ft.Worth and have dealt with and know some guys from the shops in DFW area and they are not as friendly with there info. HPE should be proud of there product and what they have accomplished in such a short time of being opened.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

BTW wait till the heads are on it.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:40 AM
Teching In

this cam sounds like pro stock technology to me. I think you should all be aware of the sever technical rpm turning ability of HPE. woo hoo.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I made 431RWHP with a Cam, Headers, LS6 Intake, Ported Throttle Body, 9" Ford with 4.71 gears and Spec Stage 4 Clutch. This would be a nice cam for daily driving but seams a little small since you have a Fast 90MM. With a Fast 90MM and throttle body I will pick up around 15-20RWHP. Try testing it with a LS6 and let us know what it made.

What rearend did you have and gear setup?

Anyway Nice numbers for a cam only with a Fast 90MM.

Joe
Old 08-15-2004, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

How's it going up there in NC mr. Joe! You are right that we are not trying to make the end all - be all CAM ONLY deal with this cam but rather one we can sell with no other mods. We will do some even bigger cams probably here soon with some of the newer cars with less miles on them and newer LS1 heads like yours. This cam is smaller than yours and runs very nicely as far as drivability like you imagined. Do you have any reliefs on your pistons with your cam? I sure wish there was at least a little relief on these things! A granny could drive Scooters car with this cam making over 400 EASY even with the LS6 intake. We'll probably throw one on sometime soon. We just did this car the other day and were quite happy to see it run so civilized and nice but still put out 420 to the wheels already. Do you have an electric water pump on your car?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds good Chuck and Eric!

Time to start saving up the funds.......

Jeremy
Old 08-15-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

how much will this cam affect my streetability? in reference to idel, driving bumper to bumper traffic, mpg's( yes some of us do care about this sort of stuff! if you were forced to live in CA you'd know what I was talkin about)
Old 08-15-2004, 05:48 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

how much will this cam affect my streetability? in reference to idel, driving bumper to bumper traffic, mpg's( yes some of us do care about this sort of stuff! if you were forced to live in CA you'd know what I was talkin about)
all in the tune.

Quick Reply: New HPE "S" cam!